Skinner

Season Series:
December 30th - Oilers 3 @ Kings 2 SO
February 10th - Oilers 0 @ Kings 4
February 26th - Kings @ Oilers
March 28th - Kings @ Oilers

Preview: (Oilers.com)

PREVIEW: Oilers vs. Kings

EDMONTON, AB – After going 4-5-1 since the All-Star Break, the Edmonton Oilers are looking to continue working themselves out of a difficult stretch on Monday when they continue their five-game homestand at Rogers Place against the Los Angeles Kings.
"I think just learning from our mistakes," goaltender Stuart Skinner said. "This could be the best thing for our group just heading down the stretch learning how not to have the stretches that we're having right now, where we're not doing our thing. And that starts with me."
The Oilers netminder has proven this season that he’s better than his recent record has shown, including his .865 save percentage and 4.02 goals-against average in his last seven starts, but the Edmonton product’s play between the pipes is only one of the many different facets of his team's collective game that are in a bit of a lull after looking untouchable for the better part of their incredible 16-game win streak that from Dec. 21, 2023 to Feb. 6, 2024.
“It's hard both ways because I still got a job to do, and I’m still fighting to make saves either side,” Skinner added. “But I think either way, it starts with me. Either way, I’ve got saves to make and I'm not doing that as of right now.
“My goals against average the last two games feels like 100, but that's just kind of the way it's been going right now. It's just kind of recalibrating and refocusing on when things were going well through that 16-game stretch.”

Stuart speaks to the media after Saturday's loss to Calgary
Throughout an 82-game NHL season, there will be plenty of peaks and valleys in performance for the Oilers to navigate – characterized by the extreme highs of a 16-game win streak and the lowest lows of a 2-9-1 start to the season – and this most recent down spell since the All-Star Break for the Blue & Orange is just the latest stretch of adversity they'll have to come out of to put themselves on track to play their best hockey in April, May and June.
“We're getting closer to playoffs and we're still fighting for a spot, so we have to learn that we can't just flip it on and think we're going to win every game in the third period,” said forward Zach Hyman, who now owns a team-leading 37 goals. “You have to start on time. You have to play the right way throughout the entire game. Obviously, we know how to do that. We've proven it this year, so it’s just a matter of getting back to work and being consistent with it.”
Edmonton is coming off a 6-3 defeat in the Battle of Alberta on Saturday – their first defeat to their provincial rivals in four meetings – that marked their third straight loss (0-2-1) and their sixth in their last 10 games since putting together a 16-game win streak that came one shy of tying the NHL record.
Saturday’s defeat on Hockey Night in Canada for the Oilers was the third time they allowed six goals during the month of February, where they’ve also given up an NHL-high 42 goals over 10 games for an average of 2.7 more goals against than in comparison to before they assembled their record win streak.

Zach Hyman had two goals to get the Oilers back to within a goal of the Flames, down 3-2 midway through the second period, but their lack of defensive details, discipline and a few extra saves from Skinner contributed to their downfall against their divisional and provincial rivals.
"It wasn't going well, but man, we were we fighting out there. Literally and figuratively," Skinner said. "We were grinding and we never gave up, which is really important for this group. No matter if it's 10-0 for the other team, the guys in here, we don't give up. But for myself personally, I think it's just managing the emotions of it. You do feel frustrated with the results, but ultimately, I can't do anything about it now. But what I can do is look back on what I can do to improve and to help this team to win."
Head Coach Kris Knoblauch has seen his team navigate this difficult stretch with the purpose of making the right plays, but wants to see his team get back to whats made them successful during his time behind the bench begginning on Monday with another difficult Pacific Division test against Los Angeles.
The Kings shut out the Oilers 4-0 in their last meeting on Feb. 10, which was also Head Coach Jim Hiller's first game as bench boss for the Black & Silver. Since then, Under his leadership, the Kings are 6-2-0 and level on points with Edmonton for the third spot in the Pacific Division despite one less game played.
"I think we have good intentions and it's not that we're taking shortcuts, but I think we're just a little bit lethargic, a little bit slow to close plays and it's just leading to them giving a little more room and space to make those. And yeah, I think that's the biggest thing. And then also through that stretch, the winning stretch, our goaltending was outstanding. Like, they covered up a lot of mistakes. So our defensive play was better, but so was our goaltending. And right now both can better.

GDT Music:

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I have no idea what to expect here. I accurately predicted that we would get steam rolled by the Flames, but this one is harder to figure out.

Is this the time that prior game embarrassment and rival competition is actually enough to motivate the Oilers to play with actual effort and focus, or is this just going to be another stepping stone down the standings?

The Oilers generally take at least a week longer than most other similar teams to actually get mad at themselves and focus on fixing their issues, so we'll see if that's the case here. To me it's a coin flip whether we'll see a repeat of Saturday and embarrass ourselves or if we'll actually play hockey at an NHL level. Guess we'll see.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure what to expect in this game. I suspect this is the view of many.

people bet on this stuff?

How do you call it. From one game to the next in NHL teams tend to be unpredictable. Most teams.

Anyway teams being tied for third in division this game is certainly interesting. But games between Oilers-kings tend to be that.

Reactions: Vagabond

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yay, going back to McDrai. Every coach is the same shit.

200.gif

When Leon's line is getting caved as badly as pretty much any iteration of Leon's line has been caved lately I don't think we have a choice.

I also hate the idea of playing them together in concept. Not as much as watching the second line get buried though, which makes playing them on different lines completely moot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When Leon's line is getting caved as badly as pretty much any iteration of Leon's line has been caved lately I don't think we have a choice.

I also hate the idea of playing them together in concept. Not as much as watching the second line get buried though, which makes playing them on different lines completely moot.
Leon's line even last 5 games = "getting caved"

How about this. The loaded up first line hasn't been producing a drop of offense and guys like Nuge have been invisible most games. McD himself hasn't scored a goal in 10games.

Lets stop inventing the pair up is happening due to Drai, who is at least scoring and producing.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

5-1 Kings, maybe

Wish I could say I was surprised.

I stopped pretending that the conventional wisdom of "they got embarrassed, look out for the Oilers next game" doesn't apply to this team. It always drags and gets worse before it gets better.

Leon's line even last 5 games = "getting caved"

How about this. The loaded up first line hasn't been producing a drop of offense and guys like Nuge have been invisible most games. McD himself hasn't scored a goal in 10games.

Lets stop inventing the pair up is happening due to Drai, who is at least scoring and producing.

At least McDavid's line can get out of its own end.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I stopped pretending that the conventional wisdom of "they got embarrassed, look out for the Oilers next game" doesn't apply to this team. It always drags and gets worse before it gets better.

At least McDavid's line can get out of its own end.
Hyman has been our best player of late. Thats helped as well. Not sure how it shapes out in numbers lately but McD line have seen a lot of Ekholm and Booch pair as well. That helps. Getting Ceci moving the puck doesn't much.

In anycase Leon hasn't been getting caved. If you disagree let me know where you're getting that.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

it's why their losing streaks rarely end at 1 or 2 games...they mope and feel sorry for themselves for a few games before snapping out of it

just too many highs and lows for this team

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner in net, she’s going to be ugly in the PGT tonight
He's earned it man. He said so. Put me in boss, I got my special pads and hair toss.

Over under on how many times he tumbles or slides right out of his crease moving across.

Special pts if he blows up during warm up.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
This coach would rather try every conceivable grouping of players instead of the line that worked in McLeod drain and foegele I don't understand why every single coach is clueless in this area

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hyman has been our best player of late. Thats helped as well. Not sure how it shapes out in numbers lately but McD line have seen a lot of Ekholm and Booch pair as well. That helps. Getting Ceci moving the puck doesn't much.

In anycase Leon hasn't been getting caved. If you disagree let me know where you're getting that.

By physically watching his line have major difficulties breaking out and producing chances for most of the season, but lately especially.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This coach would rather try every conceivable grouping of players instead of the line that worked in McLeod drain and foegele I don't understand why every single coach is clueless in this area

Drai absolutely needs somebody that can skate and push the defence back off the blue lines to be successful. If he doesn't have McLeod on his line we may as well play him with McDavid IMO until we find a solution there through trade (or not).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
By physically watching his line have major difficulties breaking out and producing chances for most of the season, but lately especially.
I'll look for it but more of the problem as I see it is Kane being a poor ass possession player and the line not maintaining in opponent zone. We're not keeping cycle players with Leon. Not sure why that is. Best Defense is often having the puck. When Drai is the only puck possesion player on his line he tends to be caught with pucks.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I’m of the opinion that the Oilers - with 26 games remaining - are working on their playoff positioning. If they’ve learned one thing in the past 2 or 3 playoffs, there are some ways easier than others to start the playoffs (ie, avoid the strongest teams).
That’s not news, of course. So rather than striving for the highest standing possible, they could be more focused on going for the best position possible…relative to the other teams in the division (for example, avoiding playing the VGKs). Of course, that strategizing is the job of the GM and Coach, as the players simply follow the game plans given to them.
As the standings take on more shape each week, their objective takes on more shape….who do they want to stay ahead of, and who they don’t. 26 games is still quite a distance away from the finish, but it’s not too early to be vigilant and tinkering for standings position. It will really crank up with about 10-12 games remaining.
For me, that will be the measure of how successful their regular season was.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m of the opinion that the Oilers - with 26 games remaining - are working on their playoff positioning. If they’ve learned one thing in the past 2 or 3 playoffs, there are some ways easier than others to start the playoffs (ie, avoid the strongest teams).
That’s not news, of course. So rather than striving for the highest standing possible, they could be more focused on going for the best position possible…relative to the other teams in the division (for example, avoiding playing the VGKs). Of course, that strategizing is the job of the GM and Coach, as the players simply follow the game plans given to them.
As the standings take on more shape each week, their objective takes on more shape….who do they want to stay ahead of, and who they don’t. 26 games is still quite a distance away from the finish, but it’s not too early to be vigilant and tinkering for standings position. It will really crank up with about 10-12 games remaining.
For me, that will be the measure of how successful their regular season was.
If they are actually basing their play on those conditions, that will likely be a recipe for a very short playoff run.

1708973778666.png

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26
5:30 PM – Studio 99
6:00 PM – Molson Hockey House
6:30 PM – Gates Open
7:30 PM – Puck Drop

I received this emailed reminder from their sales department, as one of my sons and I are attending the game tonight. I would suggest the organization send this out to all the players and coaches, so they are aware of the start of the game.;)

• Wow
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Playing Calgary then LA is the best thing for this team right now, 2 rivals who play hard and don't take nights off. They can't sleepwalk through 40 minutes of this game.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

5-1 Kings, maybe

Imagine most of the fans that cheer for this team dicking off at work after the kind of bullshit poor performances they put up before and thinking that’s acceptable

Most of those fans would probably get fired. These guys can just skate to collect a paycheque

Embarrassing lack of accountability from leadership down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad