GDT: Game #56 - Kings@Oilers - 7:30PM - Kill the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
If they are actually basing their play on those conditions, that will likely be a recipe for a very short playoff run.
No so much yet, but as the games get fewer, I think they will be tied to that plan.
TDL acquisition won’t alter the plan, but should/ will improve the roster.
If they plan and play it right, the playoffs should have a good start. If they don’t, they will be facing tougher playoff start.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'll look for it but more of the problem as I see it is Kane being a poor ass possession player and the line not maintaining in opponent zone. We're not keeping cycle players with Leon. Not sure why that is. Best Defense is often having the puck. When Drai is the only puck possesion player on his line he tends to be caught with pucks.

His line mates are 100% part of the issue.

Until that is solved it seems that almost nobody will work with him save McLeod, but when we do that we open up a bottom 6 line to get caved instead. It's a game of whack a mole.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Playing Calgary then LA is the best thing for this team right now, 2 rivals who play hard and don't take nights off. They can't sleepwalk through 40 minutes of this game.

Oh no, they'll still sleep walk through 40.

Conventional wisdom and motivators that work for other teams aren't applicable here. When we're like this we could get teleported to Game 7 of the Final and still mail it in.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No so much yet, but as the games get fewer, I think they will be tied to that plan.
TDL acquisition won’t alter the plan, but should/ will improve the roster.
If they plan and play it right, the playoffs should have a good start. If they don’t, they will be facing tougher playoff start.
I don't think I've ever heard of a team adjusting their effort and ability to win games, based on trying to determine a playoff opponent.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think I've ever heard of a team adjusting their effort and ability to win games, based on trying to determine a playoff opponent.
I can hear the post series interviews right now.

“I thought we played well enough to win but we had small lapses of 3-5 minutes where we let our guard down each game and they capitalized and got a couple by us, it stings but we will learn from it.”

“We had a ton of chances to extend the series but their goalie was really on his game, we hit a few posts each game and if one or two of those go in we are talking about the next series instead of next year.”

“It’s a tough league, you need to score 5v5 and you aren’t always guaranteed to get a PP in a game, we didn’t get many in the series and we generate offence through the PP.”

“I definitely needed to make some more saves, I let the team down, I need to hold the fort when we aren’t getting goals in tight games. I’ll be a better goalie because of these playoffs, but it hurts”

Reactions: oljimmy

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Just a reminder this week and next week are all 4games in 7 days... gonna be a brutal schedule to close out the season

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Feels like they got comfortable and bored and are just going through the motions for a little while. As long as they are in top form in mid April but some teams forget how to flip the switch after creating bad habits

Reactions: Ghetty Green

UHHHH SON

Sep 29, 2010
Hopefully the players are bit down because of the weather. Lots of that going around this morning.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Koach K kaught in the same old 97 29 glue trap.

It hasn’t been working since Day 1 this season and instead has been costing us games, rather than winning us games as these 2 abandon any pretext of playing well defensively when together and instead make costly turnovers from hope plays.
Teams know how to defend these 2 now and refusing to play them apart is detrimental to long term success.

RNH usually can’t do much centering his own line. Holloway buried on line 4 with the most useless player since Tobias Kahun does nothing. Foegele and McLoed are the Magic 8 ball of players, you never know what you’re going to get out of them. Skinner better have his head out of his ass as well or were cooked.

So with all that and a useless morning skate I predict a 4 - 1 Oiler win and the start of a @CROTT GDT win streak! :nod:

Anyone know the Edm lines for this one?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
His line mates are 100% part of the issue.

Until that is solved it seems that almost nobody will work with him save McLeod, but when we do that we open up a bottom 6 line to get caved instead. It's a game of whack a mole.
Holloway, McLeod, Foegele, Nuge, all these options can work other than McD.

But the Oilers never go out and get a player with the specific needs to play with Drai, they get whatever is discarded on the NHL junkpile and that includes even players like Perry who were considered nuclear waste by some teams. I'm not complaining about the Oilers getting these players specifically, just that its not any orchestrated gets. its just this guy is on the outs, lets pick him up.

Rarely much planning with this org. Ekholm was probably the best addition we've had that addressed needs since Hyman.

"ive decided im just gonna see how many assists i can get, thats the focus im not shooting the puck anymore, not gonna score anymore goals"

McDavid is so sassy lol
McD reads the internet. ;)

Does Skinner?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Prediction:

Won't be much solid goaltending in this game. Take the Over on goals I guess. Not that I encourage any sports betting.

Other prediction: Both fanbases will be tearing their team to bits in the GDT and chewing on the other as well.

Monday drinking game is each time "Lazy Drai" is mentioned or that "PLD is wrecking this team", he causes global warming, and Blake should be put down somewhere on Sutters farm.

Both fanbases are so inherently negative you'd never guess the score or how the game is going on, or anything like that from the spewed negative comments.

Both GDT's will be worth ignoring entirely or reading all the posts depending on your preference.

This is the game day song. How the OP didn't get this. hehe

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Yay, going back to McDrai. Every coach is the same shit.

200.gif
It’s baffling, they’ll never win a cup with those 2 on the same line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad