GDT: Game 53: Red Wings at canucks 10:00 pm et 2/15/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The fact this is getting circulated is incredibly mystifying.

First, that account has 27 followers. This is probably the biggest thing to happen to that fledgling account since they registered.

Second, they took a remote idea from Monday's 32 Thoughts and changed one word to make it seem like it's news. On that episode of the podcast, they were talking about the Rielly incident and Marek alluded to Walman and whether the Canucks would retaliate, to which Friedman responded that the league could warn the two teams. That's it.

If the league *actually* warned the two teams about possible retaliation or about goal celebrations, some fledgling Twitter account wouldn't know about it.

Friedman speculating both teams will likely get a warning is already a stretch. Then they change the headline to make it sound like the NHL has actually done this already??

garbage account.

Reactions: dj4aces

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Also... during high school, we had a few free periods due to it being the day before Christmas break (most teachers didn't even show up), so a group of friends and I just played poker for fun (no bets) -- five card draw, no wildcards. I had three hands in a row where I ended up with four aces, and one other where the aces were in my hand to start. They called me "four aces" until graduation. I haven't seen those guys since, but I ended up holding onto the name.
Somebody was cold-decking you. Or there was an Eddie in the space-time continuum. Not sure which.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Friedman speculating both teams will likely get a warning is already a stretch. Then they change the headline to make it sound like the NHL has actually done this already??

garbage account.
I acknowledged that I misheard the quote, and linked to the part where it's mentioned, in my last post... but yes, trash account suckering Wings and Canucks fans into clicking it. It's possible they were warned to not engage in anything too controversial, but not likely the trash accounts of Twitter would know it.
Somebody was cold-decking you. Or there was an Eddie in the space-time continuum. Not sure which.
That'd have been a really neat trick if they had been... but since no money changed hands, and we all took turns shuffling, it's hard to imagine that happened.

I like to think of it as the last of my luck being spent.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I acknowledged that I misheard the quote, and linked to the part where it's mentioned, in my last post... but yes, trash account suckering Wings and Canucks fans into clicking it. It's possible they were warned to not engage in anything too controversial, but not likely the trash accounts of Twitter would know it.
Sorry. To be clear my post wasn't intended as a criticism of you at all. I was adding to what you had stated and agree it's desperate clickbait.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
People need to learn how to check the veracity of the information they consume today.

Being on a website or in a meme doesn't mean it's a fact.
oh man it's a beautiful dream but I fear those days are gone for good.

It's amazing how people will regurgitate something as fact but even when pointed out to them can't grasp the claim isn't actually substantiated. Because they agree with it so accept it as fact.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Should start with entertainment programming not being allowed to call themselves news. Especially when their lawyers go to court repeatedly and claim that no reasonable person should consider them as presenting anything other than opinions rather than reporting on facts.

That well has been beyond poisoned...

The same generation that spouted "don't believe every you read in a book!" Falls for everything posted on Facebook....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Even dismissing the source, I absolutely hope that the Wings score early and often, with plenty of celebrations. The censoring / overreacting to this stuff is getting downright ridiculous.

Walman didn't come up with a brand new celebration just to taunt Vancouver. He's done the Griddy many times. It's not an obscene gesture or overly elaborate or getting right in the opponent's face or involving several players or props or any of the other dumb reasons people have used in the past to try to stop guys having fun after they score.

Creative (good natured) celebration should be ENCOURAGED. It's absolutely something that the younger demographic tends to enjoy, so be smart and let your players express themselves (while helping ratings).

Dance it up!!! :banana::bb::dd::dm::devdance::dumbo::pickle::walrus:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Walman didn't come up with a brand new celebration just to taunt Vancouver. He's done the Griddy many times. It's not an obscene gesture or overly elaborate or getting right in the opponent's face or involving several players or props or any of the other dumb reasons people have used in the past to try to stop guys having fun after they score.

I absolutely agree, but I also understand the concern. With Vancouver being referred to as "soft", by various fans and maybe some in the media, for not responding aggressively to an innocuous goal celebration... plus the Reilly incident, that if it were to happen tonight, perhaps they would choose to take vengeance tonight instead to dispell such idiotic notions?

But I'm of the mind that the league probably hasn't done anything of the sort, at least insofar as the Wings are concerned. Goal celebrations aren't against the rules. If Hughes celebrates a goal with a little dance of his own, I couldn't care less. I honestly think we need more expressions of personality in the league, not less.

As the league, if you want to attract a younger audience to the sport, bring in more players who actually know how to connect with said younger audience. Walman is clearly one of those players, and I'm damn happy to have him on our team.

Reactions: jkutswings

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
That'd have been a really neat trick if they had been... but since no money changed hands, and we all took turns shuffling, it's hard to imagine that happened.

I like to think of it as the last of my luck being spent.
Aww, that's worse!

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I wish. i drank too much Monday so am taking it easy the rest of the week. Maybe I'll even give up bourbon for Lent.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
It was Ash Wednesday yesterday no? I think you missed an optimal time for a smoked whiskey cocktail. Close enough right?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It was Ash Wednesday yesterday no? I think you missed an optimal time for a smoked whiskey cocktail. Close enough right?
Your timing is perfect. My wife got me a cocktail smoker kit for Valentine's Day.

I am making some healthier choices for Lent. But giving up bourbon is definitely not one of them.

Reactions: FMichael

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Your timing is perfect. My wife got me a cocktail smoker kit for Valentine's Day.

I am making some healthier choices for Lent. But giving up bourbon is definitely not one of them.
It's all about balance. Cut the chips, keep the booze, makes perfect sense to me

Reactions: dalem177

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad