GDT: Game 53: Red Wings at canucks 10:00 pm et 2/15/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

MIKELGRW

Jul 13, 2022
South Florida
Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Fabbri should be back. Let's Go Boys!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
have a feeling lyon will be playing lol.

Last time he got "shelled" (5 goals i think?) didn't he have a shutout or 1 goal against the next game against a decent team?

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
have a feeling lyon will be playing lol.

Last time he got "shelled" (5 goals i think?) didn't he have a shutout or 1 goal against the next game against a decent team?
The boys need at least four points on this road trip. We have beaten the Canucks 5 straight, make it 6. I will be seating in Section 103 where Vancouver will defend twice.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"As the Western road trip continues this evening, the home team Canucks are sitting pretty at the top of the entire NHL, looking back at Boston and "everybody else" in this second half of the season.
And while the origins of the monicker "canuck" are lost to the mists of time, tonight the visiting Red Wings are hoping to do anything but look back, and indeed probably wish that last night's loss to the Edmonton McDavids, itself gets lost in the mists of time."

-Plausible Keats

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I was supposed to be at this game but got stuck going to a work conference in Boise, ID. Had to give up my ticket. f***ing lame.

That said, kick their asses boys!

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I was supposed to be at this game but got stuck going to a work conference in Boise, ID. Had to give up my ticket. f***ing lame.

That said, kick their asses boys!
I certainly will be there coming over from Victoria and will be with three others in Section 103 lower bowl. Wings have beaten Vancouver 5 straight, better make it six.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

The fact this is getting circulated is incredibly mystifying.

First, that account has 27 followers. This is probably the biggest thing to happen to that fledgling account since they registered.

Second, they took a remote idea from Monday's 32 Thoughts and changed one word to make it seem like it's news. On that episode of the podcast, they were talking about the Rielly incident and Marek alluded to Walman and whether the Canucks would retaliate, to which Friedman responded that the league could warn the two teams. That's it.

If the league *actually* warned the two teams about possible retaliation or about goal celebrations, some fledgling Twitter account wouldn't know about it.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
DRW been playing above there head for a month n a half n still barely in playoffs, tough as ever to make it these days feels like

They were sunk to the bottom for a very long stretch before that so it was all about leveling out. It is extremely tough to make it in the East these days though, especially with playing in our division.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
The fact this is getting circulated is incredibly mystifying.

First, that account has 27 followers. This is probably the biggest thing to happen to that fledgling account since they registered.

Second, they took a remote idea from Monday's 32 Thoughts and changed one word to make it seem like it's news. On that episode of the podcast, they were talking about the Rielly incident and Marek alluded to Walman and whether the Canucks would retaliate, to which Friedman responded that the league could warn the two teams. That's it.

If the league *actually* warned the two teams about possible retaliation or about goal celebrations, some fledgling Twitter account wouldn't know about it.

I'd prefer to believe it's true, so that I can say: Footloose was a cautionary tale, not an instruction manual, NHL.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I'd prefer to believe it's true, so that I can say: Footloose was a cautionary tale, not an instruction manual, NHL.
I'm old-ish and frumpy with some things, and "cellies" kind of bother me. To me they are childish, goofy, and overdone. But.

I have come around to the idea that I am wrong. :)

Most fans love 'em, the teams seem to like them, Kenny D almost blows his mic out when Walman pulls one, and I certainly like the energy they create, so really the problem is... me. So I'm getting over myself (with the help of "y'all guys", podcasts, and the like) and learning to embrace the celly.

All that said, WTF? Warnings? Retaliation over an OT penalty shot game-winner? Even I wasn't THAT bad. (Narrator's voice - "But in point of fact, he was.")

I hope dj4aces is right about it being merely a rumor. I hope he really did draw 4 aces once, too. I think I got 4 kings once in an Omaha Hi-Lo game.

Sorry, not much sleep last night.

Reactions: jkutswings

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
I'm old-ish and frumpy with some things, and "cellies" kind of bother me. To me they are childish, goofy, and overdone. But.

I have come around to the idea that I am wrong. :)

Most fans love 'em, the teams seem to like them, Kenny D almost blows his mic out when Walman pulls one, and I certainly like the energy they create, so really the problem is... me. So I'm getting over myself (with the help of "y'all guys", podcasts, and the like) and learning to embrace the celly.

All that said, WTF? Warnings? Retaliation over an OT penalty shot game-winner? Even I wasn't THAT bad. (Narrator's voice - "But in point of fact, he was.")

I hope dj4aces is right about it being merely a rumor. I hope he really did draw 4 aces once, too. I think I got 4 kings once in an Omaha Hi-Lo game.

Sorry, not much sleep last night.
I come from the Barry Sanders school of celebration. I have not come around to the idea that I am wrong. However, I don't think the league should ban or penalize it. I just don't like showboating. And I hate the word "celly."

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

The thought behind it, I think, is that it's similar in scope to something like the empty net slapper that Rielly lost his shit (and five games) over. Where the idea that the two are similar falls apart though, is that one is considered to be extremely disrespectful. That's not to say there aren't disrespectful goal celebrations, but in my mind, it's just an expression of character and personality... and this one in particular has now started a charitable effort. I think most teams understand that a goal celebration (especially one he only does after an overtime winner) isn't a sign of disrespect. It's exciting, and for me personally, I love to see that kind of energy and expression by the players.

Anyway, here's where the 32 Thoughts guys made very brief mention of Walman and the Canucks. In that, I did have it somewhat wrong, in that Friedman actually says "I guarantee, because of [the Grieg-Rielly incident], both teams are gonna be warned before that game". Could they have been warned? Sure. But if they were, I sincerely doubt some account with 27 followers would know more than someone from the Vancouver Sun, Detroit Free Press, ESPN, or The Athletic. It's just someone vying for attention, and I hope they're enjoying the uptick of visits to their website today.

Also... during high school, we had a few free periods due to it being the day before Christmas break (most teachers didn't even show up), so a group of friends and I just played poker for fun (no bets) -- five card draw, no wildcards. I had three hands in a row where I ended up with four aces, and one other where the aces were in my hand to start. They called me "four aces" until graduation. I haven't seen those guys since, but I ended up holding onto the name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad