GDT: Game 53: Red Wings at canucks 10:00 pm et 2/15/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don’t think Kane makes the team better to be honest. What seems to happen is that everyone defers to him when he’s on the ice, which worked very well when Kane was 28 and a top 3 player in the league, but does not work now. For every great play he makes, he makes a bad pass or gets stripped of the puck. He is still good but he isn’t good enough to be carrying a line, and that’s how the other guys are treating him. I think everyone steps up and takes charge much more when Kane is out.

Reactions: 14ari13

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I was thinking I would like to bring back one of Kane or Sprong, but probably not both.

Maybe Sprong is the better option. We could then possibly sign a top 6 guy in free agency like Toffoli or Teravainen.
This is strange to say because he has more individual puck skill than anyone on the team, but given our collective talent, I think we need Kane to do more than he is honestly capable of at this point. We aren't in a position to shelter him as much 5v5 as he needs to in my opinion. He really can't do much of anything without the puck at this stage. Sprong isn't perfect but I think he gives us more all told.

Reactions: 14ari13

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I want to like Kostin but honestly have been disappointed overall. He has inconsistent effort and for a 4th liner doesn't make his presence known that often physically.

He had a great hit last night but it's one of the few ones I can remember from the season. I dont know if he just doesn't have the speed to keep up with the play or what.
I have time for him as a 12th or 13th forward, but I also have modest expectations of what that sort of player looks like in the NHL and I really don't want to get smaller as a forward group. I find him hard to judge because he really hasn't played that much as of late. I think he is a solid skater, but not a great small space skater which hurts him.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I would keep everyone except Holl & Petry & Reimer.

The rest I've seen work together decently-to-superbly at times, and I'd like to see what they look like after honing themselves a full season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I want to like Kostin but honestly have been disappointed overall. He has inconsistent effort and for a 4th liner doesn't make his presence known that often physically.

He had a great hit last night but it's one of the few ones I can remember from the season. I dont know if he just doesn't have the speed to keep up with the play or what.
It's his footspeed. He's too slow to consistently be in the play.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Team better without Kane? What are we talking about in here?
Don’t you see? PPG players make a team worse.
blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Pretty boring game to watch even with all of the PPs. Someone needs to tell Larkin that the all-star break is over. Is he sick or injured? It is very possible that this team is actually better without Kane (and not because of anything Kane does or does not do). I am not sure I trust Van in the playoffs.
Larkin has played less than Compher in 3 games now and is more or less invisible. He must have a minor injury.
It is obvious that the team is somehow discombobulated with Kane in the lineup. They seem to stand and watch. He also had 2 very bad plays, but fortunately for him it wasn't in the defensive zone, like Petry, so it didn't cost us a goal. There was one play in particular when we established the momentum and were controlling the play and then Kane killed it by a pass to nobody.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Do you think the Kane deferrals are related to their distaste for grinding dirty goals? Like everyone's waiting for that sweet backhand sauce pass through the crease for the easy tap in?

No drive the net, push the defender into the goalie, let the puck bounce around, and dare the refs to call it back when it ends up in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad