GDT: Game #52: Wild vs Coyotes- 7:00pm - Scripps

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm not surprised at all that we're struggling later in the season. I'm not even concerned if we don't hit 80 points. I'd like to, doesn't matter much to me yet. Don't think another high draft pick is all that awful.

BA has made it clear that he's building through the draft, "stack good player on good player." Unless I'm mistaken only 4 players that he's drafted (out of 31 picks) have played an NHL game. Cooley, Guenther, Fedotov, and Moser. Development takes time, But & Simashev aren't even here yet and they are huuuuuuge (tall joke?) parts of the plan.

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I'm not surprised at all that we're struggling later in the season. I'm not even concerned if we don't hit 80 points. I'd like to, doesn't matter much to me yet. Don't think another high draft pick is all that awful.

BA has made it clear that he's building through the draft, "stack good player on good player." Unless I'm mistaken only 4 players that he's drafted (out of 31 picks) have played an NHL game. Cooley, Guenther, Fedotov, and Moser. Development takes time, But & Simashev aren't even here yet and they are huuuuuuge (tall joke?) parts of the plan.
Yep...we are years off...the talk about playoff expectations for next year should be tabled. Unless, we do an Yzerman thing and start buying veterans min 2-3 years away still.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Looks like GI to me

edit, yup
IDK. Was there contact? Perhaps minimal brushing. I watched it several times this am, slow framed it just like replay officials (I’ve been in the booth) and Fluery was able to move to his left, following the shot, with his glove up, in position and also not interfered with.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm calling this year a success for the progression of:

Ingram
Cooley
Guenther
Durzi
Kerfoot
McBain
Maccelli

And an interesting half a season.

I would be fine if they didn't get another point this year. The NHL does not reward teams for winning just a little bit and I prefer draft position over a few more points. They can't catch up to Chicago or San Jose but Sens, CBJ, and Ana are viable. The rest of the year should be about discarding useless baggage and promoting some kids to see where they are at.

It's progress. I think our lack of depth and experience is now showing.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Come on now, cool down. IF we trade Shmaltz I would hope to add a few picks and get a C or D worth their salt. We have enough "any defenseman" on this team. We all knew D was going to be a problem this year. BA has his work cut off for him.
Which playoff contender (amongst the 22 NHL teams Schmaltz will allow to be traded to) has an extra Dman and picks and $17m for his last 2 years they would be willing to part with in order to obtain a slightly above average forward?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Which playoff contender (amongst the 22 NHL teams Schmaltz will allow to be traded to) has an extra Dman and picks and $17m for his last 2 years they would be willing to part with in order to obtain a slightly above average forward?
Not to mention that the C we need (have plenty) will not be available in a Schmaltz trade.

Reactions: DustyDangler

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
IDK. Was there contact? Perhaps minimal brushing. I watched it several times this am, slow framed it just like replay officials (I’ve been in the booth) and Fluery was able to move to his left, following the shot, with his glove up, in position and also not interfered with.

Yeah, there was contact. What stood out to me was Hayton clipped MAF's left skate as MAF was shifting to his left in the crease to defend the shot. That's usually going to be called GI for impeding the goaltender's ability to move freely within his crease to defend his goal.

Was watching with the family and told them it looked like GI to me before Minnesota even challenged.

Reactions: Jakey53

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Some folks need to go back a few years and listen to BA's interviews about the appropriate time for a proper rebuild...

The goal was playing meaningful games.....had they said "winning meaningful games" I'd understand the dissent....but I'm giving out blue cards 📘 this season for dissent and unreasonable expectations.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Meaningful games to lose to get us that top 5 pick. It's hard to build that loser culture. Yes I am getting pist at this team yet again. There is a reason I am bald!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We would have to retain for sure, but I have to believe there are D out C's out there that would improve our team.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yeah, there was contact. What stood out to me was Hayton clipped MAF's left skate as MAF was shifting to his left in the crease to defend the shot. That's usually going to be called GI for impeding the goaltender's ability to move freely within his crease to defend his goal.

Was watching with the family and told them it looked like GI to me before Minnesota even challenged.
I didn't see that in all my looks at it. Maybe I'll give it another look.

Just looked again, the minimal contact from Hayton's right skate didn't impede MF from getting over, he just misplayed with the glove. I wouldn't have called it, but am prejudiced. The league has been all over the board with reviews on these, my take is that what little contact there was, was inconsequential. Hayton was in the paint though.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
"That's why you shoot the puck and you hit the net." Hockey Sage

Not to mention rebounds. L1 could benefit from this knowledge and believe me I'm as anti "shoot the puck" crowd as can be found. AS4 could definitely shoot more on the pp, one of his better decisions (imo) was w/net empty, it provided an opportunity. Ya just gotta mix it up more.

We don't need much to improve on what we have. All we have is quantity.
Sure, but at the cost of losing Schmaltz, we just don't come out ahead imo.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I didn't see that in all my looks at it. Maybe I'll give it another look.

Here’s a screenshot of the skate contact to look for as the shot was about to come in. Screenshot taken from the NHL.com game recap video, I’m sure there are lengthier views and angles in other videos, especially if you recorded the game—I formed my opinion from the live game feed.

MAF’s left skate (or maybe left goalie pad) appears to have been clipped by Hayton while MAF was moving that skate to the left in his crease. The left skate/leg movement is stopped and appears to have been driven backward into the crease by a small, but significant enough amount to merit a GI call.

Hayton voluntarily entered the crease and didn’t make any obvious attempt thereafter to leave the crease. The Minny defender may have later bumped Hayton after he was already in the crease, but that doesn’t exonerate Hayton for being in the crease in the first place. And the defender didn’t clearly impel Hayton into MAF.

IMG_3127.jpeg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Here’s a screenshot of the skate contact to look for as the shot was about to come in. Screenshot taken from the NHL.com game recap video, I’m sure there are lengthier views and angles in other videos, especially if you recorded the game—I formed my opinion from the live game feed.

MAF’s left skate (or maybe left goalie pad) appears to have been clipped by Hayton while MAF was moving that skate to the left in his crease. The left skate/leg movement is stopped and appears to have been driven backward into the crease by a small, but significant enough amount to merit a GI call.

Hayton voluntarily entered the crease and didn’t make any obvious attempt thereafter to leave the crease. The Minny defender may have later bumped Hayton after he was already in the crease, but that doesn’t exonerate Hayton for being in the crease in the first place. And the defender didn’t clearly impel Hayton into MAF.

View attachment 820395

You can see my edit, in reply to you up thread. I can see it called either way, I mean if teams were reversed… :laugh:

Reactions: mouser

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
You can see my edit, in reply to you up thread. I can see it called either way, I mean if teams were reversed… :laugh:

I think this is one of those GI situations where the goaltender gets ”the benefit of the doubt”. Would MAF have saved the shot if there was no contact in the crease? I’d guess he doesn’t save it, but who knows.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad