GDT: Game 50: Avs @ Oilers | Thursday, February 1st, 7pm MT | The end is near...

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
It was a great road game for the Avs until the third where they sat back and thought everything was fine and dandy. Jost played well but his linemates were ugh .. Avs somehow came away with a win and they really needed that to keep marching forward. Without MacKinnon this team seems so flat

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What a huge game from Zadorov. Very promising that he hasn't rested on his laurels after a good couple months. He wants to make a difference in all three zones while their best player is on the shelf for a few weeks. Management likely very happy to see him step up like that tonight. A good sign for his future.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
What are the chances that a 4th round pick would do more for us than Comeau? I say just keep him

Well, considering a 4th next year will do much more for us than minimum two years of Colin Wilson, imagine what a 4th this year can do! And so soon, too! :sarcasm:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Hey lovely people. Whoever uses Twitter I apologize for my tirade against the officials tonight. Bastards. Made me so angry. Anyways, I'll take 10th overall atm. Most people wouldn't have predicted that. If we can hold water until Mack returns, we make that charge to the playoffs, and I reckon we'll ruffle some feathers.

I only wish we had one or two TRUE enforcers (but with skill). Kind of wish Nemeth would get a few lessons from Scott Parker. He could and should throw his weight around.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Alexander "Scott Parker's New Favourite" Kerfoot
Carl "Foppa" Soderberg
Joseph Taylor "Stop wearing that number before you get traded already" Compher
Tommy Tomatoes

That's centre depth boys. We don't need anything else Let's light up this standoffish ringer they've got in goals and twenty million in forwards plus Kris Russell on the ice.

That's not it.

Drury #37 switches to #18 - gets traded
Tanguay #40 switches to #18 - gets traded

As long as JT doesn't decide to switch to #18, he's fine.

I'd want him back for one or two years at most. If he wants a 3+ contract I'd say no. We'll have to over pay some FAs next year to reach the cap floor, maybe he can be one.

The thing about Blake Comeau is this: I'm not sure it's about the Avs wanting to re-up him, I think it's the other way around. He has the numbers this year to warrant a 3 year deal at probably more than he's making right now, from some team. He's at 22 points with quite a few shorthanded goals with zero PP time playing a depth role on the 3rd/4th line. There's going to be a team out there that will give him that 3rd year and will probably give him $3M per.

I agree with the large majority of you that don't agree with giving him that 3rd year as it might look ugly at that point. I think he'll be a TDL day decision but I also won't be surprised if he stays with the team and then walks July 1st.

It was very bad. In the 90's they were notorious for "making it even". They made sure each team was getting the same number of PP's during the first 2 periods then to "let them play" in the 3rd. We knew we had a BS penalty coming our way if we just had a couple of PP's in a row, and that almost nothing would get called in the 3rd and OT.

It's hard to be a ref today with replays and reviews and whatnot.

It is but I believe that the refereeing system in the NHL is fundamentally flawed to begin with. I absolutely get why certain posters are massively pissed-off with the officiating because it's really been bad recently. The fact that the oilers player pushed Bernier's glove covering the puck past the goal line and THEY REVIEWED IT and still called it a goal is beyond the scope of my comprehension of how someone can get to THAT level refereeing and make such a goddam f***ing Pejorative Slured decision. The fact that we had to ask to have it reviewed is absolutely pathetic.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They said it was a goal because they can't review goalie interference without the coach's challenge. They can only review if the puck crossed the line, it clearly did, therefore that was a good goal. Now when Bednar challenged they were allowed by the NHL rules to deem the goal not good as it was evident his glove was pushed in the goal. refs were not at fault here, what's at fault are the NHL rules.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
They said it was a goal because they can't review goalie interference without the coach's challenge. They can only review if the puck crossed the line, it clearly did, therefore that was a good goal. Now when Bednar challenged they were allowed by the NHL rules to deem the goal not good as it was evident his glove was pushed in the goal. refs were not at fault here, what's at fault are the NHL rules.
Yeah but IMO Toronto has to look at that and go... uh this is GI nix that one. Not wait for Co to challenge it. That’s bull shit.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Yeah but IMO Toronto has to look at that and go... uh this is GI nix that one. Not wait for Co to challenge it. That’s bull ****.
The weirdest thing about the whole ordeal was Oilers color guy Drew Remenda adamantly saying how there was no way that could be goalie intrference.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs played two good periods of hockey and then got all panicky in the third. Some bad habits from earlier in the season are rearing their ugly heads. Not only were they leaning back unnecessarily, they were batting at the puck like a bunch of Mini-Mites. Knock that shit off.

Zadorov may have had his best game for the Avs. Dude was supremely good. Conversely, I don't think we've seen a worse two-game performance from a defender this season than we've seen from Patrik Nemeth. He was on the ice for every single Edmonton goal against and played a part in each one, especially the tying goal in the waning seconds of the third where he stupidly rifled it down the ice for the ENG and missed by a mile.

SOMETHING needs to change in this team's overall strategy when it comes to icing the puck. They do it way too often and continually lose the ensuing faceoff. It's costing them goals and it's going to cost them quite a few games down the stretch if they don't address the issue immediately.

Also a terrible performance from Gabe Bourque. I really wouldn't mind him sitting. Dude is only effective when he's throwing his body around. Last two games he thinks he's a playmaker/scoring forward, at least one time I saw him fumble with the puck and turn it over in the attack zone untouched, and make a terrible NZ pass to Soderberg that went for an icing, which then resulted in the Caiggula goal. He needs to sit and Greer needs a legit shot.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

What about not blowing the whistle and letting them push his glove into the net in the first place? They made a mistake. It's not one play either. That play and other inconsistencies just highlight the issues.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What about not blowing the whistle and letting them push his glove into the net in the first place? They made a mistake. It's not one play either. That play and other inconsistencies just highlight the issues.
Well, yes, that's right. But the griping against them calling it a legit goal after the first review is misplaced.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think it's Toronto determining if the goal crosses the line while the on ice refs determine if it's goalie interference.

This time it turned out awkwardly but that's because the refs didn't catch the Oiler player pushing Berniers glove.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Company party last night meant that I didn't get to watch the game. Watching the highlights and I'm dying at Como's SHG. Soda crosschecking that guy over Montoya has me in stitches.

Reactions: BrickAHL

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I get the refs may just be following the rule to the letter of the law during last night's goal/goal/no goal fiasco but then the rules are flawed and need to be changed. If the Avs don't have a timeout so they can challenge the ruling they would have basically been screwed and would have given up a goal that was clearly not a legal goal.

If the rules don't change then what's to prevent a team from having 3 power forwards bum rush the opponent's goalie and push him into the net the instant the goalie covers the puck once the opposing team's timeout has already been used? Seems like it's obviously no goal but if the refs are only going to determine if the puck crossed the line, and it's up to the team to challenge goalie interference, then there's nothing to prevent this absurd scenario from potentially happening.

A little common sense seems to be required here instead of allowing complete and utter stupidity from taking over.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What a specimen Nikita Zadorov is. It's a shame he never played in the 90s, I'm imagining a pair of him and Adam Foote up against the Red Wings and I'm a little excited.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
wm7L81.gif

McDavid got away with a high stick at the end.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
What a specimen Nikita Zadorov is. It's a shame he never played in the 90s, I'm imagining a pair of him and Adam Foote up against the Red Wings and I'm a little excited.

I'm glad he's not, considering I'd only get to hear stories and quick youtube clips of him vs watching him every game :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad