GDT: Game 50: Avs @ Oilers | Thursday, February 1st, 7pm MT | The end is near...

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
All I've got after that one is...**** you refs!!! Despite the refs best efforts to gift the game to McDavid and Co. we still found a way to win.

This is getting out of control, the 3rd period was an absolute **** show, because the refs let Kassian and Lucic goon it up against our smaller guys. If the refs do their job and call Kassian for the blatant boarding on Comeau and call Lucic for that ridiculous elbow to the head of Lindholm, the Avs win the game 3-1. And to top all of it off they gift EDM a PP late where McDavid takes a superman dive. **** off refs, go home you're drunk.

I for one am absolutely over watching the refs constantly give the Avs the short end of the stick. We got one lousy PP. Bull**** EDM only committed one penalty all game. Every game just seems to get worse. I'm just over it.

And yet despite all that, the Avs are leading the league in PP opportunities...

I mean yeah the reffing has not been great recently and it really helps that we have a young, speedy team (helps with drawing penalties) but its not like the league is out to get us or anything. We already get the most PPs in the league..

You are overreacting...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I mean yeah the reffing has not been great recently and it really helps that we have a young, speedy team (helps with drawing penalties) but its not like the league is out to get us or anything. We already get the most PPs in the league..

You are overreacting...

Yeah not one is out to get us. This generation of NHL refs are just f***ing incompetent, plain and simple. The goalie fiasco lately is on the refs.

Every game in the NHL they spend half the game asleep with their whistles in their pockets, and then wake up and call some stupid shit. One shift a slash on the hands isn't called, the next a slash on the stick near the hands is called down. One shift obvious tripping isn't called, and the next a weak call comes with the guy doing a fly by dive.

Holding on Rantanen? Legit call, but where in the flying f*** were all of the rest of the damn holding calls the rest of the game, or the previous f***ing games. Edit : Also didn't Mikko somehow still get a penalty despite the ref calling it a good goal?

The NHL's refs are trash, and out of control right now. FACT

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

You are overreacting...
Number of PP means nothing, we're a fast team that creates lots of opportunities.

The fact is we already lost our star player due to him getting frustrated with getting assaulted and not getting any calls, Comeau and Lindholm both took violent hits into the boards tonight.

It's not a number issue, its a making the right call issue. And the refs just simply aren't making the obvious calls.

Reactions: 2bowhunt

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah not one is out to get us. This generation of NHL refs are just ****ing incompetent, plain and simple. The goalie fiasco lately is on the refs.

Every game in the NHL they spend half the game asleep with their whistles in their pockets, and then wake up and call some stupid ****. One shift a slash on the hands isn't called, the next a slash on the stick near the hands is called down. One shift a tripping isn't called then next a more obvious one is.

Holding on Rantanen? Legit call, but where in the flying **** were all of the rest of the damn holding calls the rest of the game, or the previous ****ing games.

The NHL's refs are trash, and out of control right now. FACT

I've been watching hockey for 30+ years and it was always like that. Only difference is back then people weren't spending half the game whining about the refs.

Reactions: JoemAvs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wait why are there complaints about the reffing? Because some of our guys got hit by bigger players? That happens in hockey. I had no issues with Lucic hit on Lindholm if thats where the issue is. I thought the refs missed a high stick on Z but that was about it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've been watching hockey for 30+ years and it was always like that. Only difference is back then people weren't spending half the game whining about the refs.

I've been watching it for 25 years, and I don't remember it being this bad. I've also seen a lot of ref retirement ceremonies over the last five years too. I'm not one that thinks we're special, just that the refs in general suck these days. Which I think I pretty obviously pointed out.

I like that you throw out your 30 year comment, yet bring zero substance in actual defense of the stupidity we seen tonight. You think the goalie stuff was fine I guess? lol

Reactions: Bender

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I've been watching it for 25 years, and I don't remember it being this bad. I've also seen a lot of ref retirement ceremonies over the last five years too. I'm not one that thinks we're special, just that the refs in general suck these days. Which I think I pretty obviously pointed out.
It was very bad. In the 90's they were notorious for "making it even". They made sure each team was getting the same number of PP's during the first 2 periods then to "let them play" in the 3rd. We knew we had a BS penalty coming our way if we just had a couple of PP's in a row, and that almost nothing would get called in the 3rd and OT.

It's hard to be a ref today with replays and reviews and whatnot.

Reactions: Bender

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn't bother watching this team live last year because, I mean, I can't imagine how you folks in Denver could tolerate it being so bad lol I certainly wasn't going to pay huge money with the Oilers being so good to watch a garbage team. What a difference a year makes. Biggest takeaways from the game:

- Man, there were a ton of Avs fans in the arena tonight. Like we all came out of the woodworks after last season. Great atmosphere. I screamed "re-sign Blake Comeau!" after his shorty tonight that got a ton of laughs and one dude shook his head lol.

- Zadorov was the best Av tonight outside of his boneheaded turnover to Draisaitl. Even though McDavid got 2 goals, I thought Zadorov did a good job on him tonight when they were out against each other. Nothing he could really do about McDavid's 2nd goal. Bounced right to 97 off the end boards.

- Rantanen was the second best Av tonight. Every time he was on the ice I felt like he was generating a scoring opportunity. Protects the puck so well. There were a couple of times when he was coming from behind the left side of the net and could have walked a bit into the slot to shoot, but didn't. I'm sure that will come as he watches more video and sees just how much time and space he can create.

- Jost was flying tonight. Makes sense because he had 30-40 family members in attendance.

- I really didn't think Yakupov was that bad. Created a great chance for Bourque, had a couple of other good shooting opportunities, didn't turn the puck over in dangerous areas (he actually hasn't done this in a while), continues to get the puck out of his own zone when it comes around the boards to him. I really don't mind him on the 4th line. Would rather him there than Greer, that's for sure.

- Speaking of Gabriel Bourque, he's back to sucking. My god was he bad tonight. Missing passes, losing battles, icing the puck multiple times. Thank god Nieto came back tonight otherwise I fear we would have seen 15+ minutes of Bourque.

All in all, great win. I'll be attending the next game in Edmonton as well as the game in Calgary because I'm pumped about these guys, even without MacKinnon.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It was very bad. In the 90's they were notorious for "making it even". They made sure each team was getting the same number of PP's during the first 2 periods then to "let them play" in the 3rd. We knew we had a BS penalty coming our way if we just had a couple of PP's in a row, and that almost nothing would get called in the 3rd and OT.

It's hard to be a ref today with replays and reviews and whatnot.

They never have completely eliminated the makeup call. Maybe I'm just used to it now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The best part of the first period was Yakupov stickhandling against a ghost behind the Oilers net for like 7 seconds. Then he just turned it over.
I don't know if you could see it on tv but I was right behind the Oilers net and there was a moment during the 1st when Andrej Sekera stopped behind his net waiting for his teammates and Yak came to stand in front of Montoya, and he was **** talking him for a good 5-7 seconds and neither Yak nor Sekera could contain their laughter.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Fun game tonight.

I don't think Girard had his best game but it was great to see him get his first as an Av.

I thought Jost looked really good out there. I was hoping he'd get one tonight with so many family and friends in attendance. Came really close with that backhander.

Landeskog and Rantanen took it up a notch in the first game without MacKinnon. Both guys were just beasts in the offensive zone.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Fun game tonight.

I don't think Girard had his best game but it was great to see him get his first as an Av.

I thought Jost looked really good out there. I was hoping he'd get one tonight with so many family and friends in attendance. Came really close with that backhander.

Landeskog and Rantanen took it up a notch in the first game without MacKinnon. Both guys were just beasts in the offensive zone.
I thought he got abused constantly tonight while he was out there. Great goal, though.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't bother watching this team live last year because, I mean, I can't imagine how you folks in Denver could tolerate it being so bad lol I certainly wasn't going to pay huge money with the Oilers being so good to watch a garbage team. What a difference a year makes. Biggest takeaways from the game:

- Man, there were a ton of Avs fans in the arena tonight. Like we all came out of the woodworks after last season. Great atmosphere. I screamed "re-sign Blake Comeau!" after his shorty tonight that got a ton of laughs and one dude shook his head lol.

- Zadorov was the best Av tonight outside of his boneheaded turnover to Draisaitl. Even though McDavid got 2 goals, I thought Zadorov did a good job on him tonight when they were out against each other. Nothing he could really do about McDavid's 2nd goal. Bounced right to 97 off the end boards.

- Rantanen was the second best Av tonight. Every time he was on the ice I felt like he was generating a scoring opportunity. Protects the puck so well. There were a couple of times when he was coming from behind the left side of the net and could have walked a bit into the slot to shoot, but didn't. I'm sure that will come as he watches more video and sees just how much time and space he can create.

- Jost was flying tonight. Makes sense because he had 30-40 family members in attendance.

- I really didn't think Yakupov was that bad. Created a great chance for Bourque, had a couple of other good shooting opportunities, didn't turn the puck over in dangerous areas (he actually hasn't done this in a while), continues to get the puck out of his own zone when it comes around the boards to him. I really don't mind him on the 4th line. Would rather him there than Greer, that's for sure.

- Speaking of Gabriel Bourque, he's back to sucking. My god was he bad tonight. Missing passes, losing battles, icing the puck multiple times. Thank god Nieto came back tonight otherwise I fear we would have seen 15+ minutes of Bourque.

All in all, great win. I'll be attending the next game in Edmonton as well as the game in Calgary because I'm pumped about these guys, even without MacKinnon.
Just got back from the game. Is this one of you guys lmao
6qXKU4M.jpg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I was screaming "To the paint Mikko! To the Paint!!"

Reactions: dahrougem2

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
They look ready to lose right now. Im going to get a beer.

Try Swedish death metal next time since it's much more effective for killing pre-game frustrations. ;-)
5469dba2bea8c3af59f66d4a08ef5851c2b0815d_hq.gif

I'm so happy Colorado won, important game! :-D

Nemeth -2, really... perhaps it's time for him to think about life and rest a couple of games. :-( If he wants to stay in the NHL then fight for it. He continues to get most PK time on the entire team which is a bit confusing to me when struggling.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad