GDT: Game 50: Avs @ Oilers | Thursday, February 1st, 7pm MT | The end is near...

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't think any other defender on our team or in our system has the reach to make that play on McDavid.

Z had some very nice recoveries tonight. That play on Connor in OT was perfect in that he prevented a goal, shoved Connor into the corner and stole the puck. I watched him close tonight and we have something special with him if he can ever put it all together which im beginning to think is a real possibility.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
My takeaway from this game?

Avs really need to make an effort to lock both Zadorov and Rantanen into somewhat affordable 7 year extensions before it is too late. These two guys are just scratching the surface of their potentials yet and already look like massive parts of our future and we need to lock them up soon before they get too expensive.

Also Barrie increased his trade value so the time to trade him is now given that Girard and Zads both scored and he didn't :sarcasm:

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Yeah I am intrigued by what we’re seeing from Rants. It makes me wonder what his ultimate udside is. I agree that he has some similarities with Jagr.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
Great win. Lot of good games for our guys, but I actually really liked Nieto tonight. He was constantly keeping the puck in EDM zone.

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
That Zadorov play on McDavid wasn’t that only time he shut him down with a beautiful poke, he did the same thing earlier in the game. And that goal by Zadorov was amazing. He’s showing us his potential!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Rantanen is the real deal. I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be the 3rd best player from the 2015 draft class.

He's starting to take over games with his size and tenacity down low, on the forecheck, and then using his size to protect the puck and power his way into open areas on the ice. He creates space for other guys on the ice when he does this because he draws defenders to him.

It's a truly remarkable site to watch.

We need to lock him up to a 7-8 year deal on July 1st. 6.5-7M, whatever it takes. It will be a bargain within 1 year.

Reactions: Gabe the Babe

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
PK 100% PP 100%, there's the main difference why we won this one and lost the few before.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I doubt it will happen, but I would really like to see Greer in the lineup over Yakupov. I just don't think Yakupov brings much IMO.

I really only feel comfortable on defense when EJ, Girard, or Z are playing at the moment. I don't trust Nemeth. Lindholm, or Barberio and Barrie looks like a shadow of himself.

I said it two months ago, but it is strange to see Barrie rack up points, because I don't believe that he has played particularly well this season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm confident that the Yakupov experiment will end as soon as everyone's healthy.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Who would have thought before the season that Kerfoot would be out during a 3v3 covering McDavid 1 on 1?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm not buying the Altitude staff defending the refs on that call. You know, it IS possible for the refs to wave off a goal on the ice as it happens for GI. You don't have to call it a goal and force a team to risk their timeout. That's another thing I dislike about the challenges. Refs are too quick to call a goal knowing it can be fixed later. Get the damn call right the first time.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Zadorov had a dominate performance. He was far from perfect and got beat by McDavid a few times, but almost always seemed to be able to recover with either his stick or his body. The scary part is he's till learning, still getting stronger and is only going to get better. He might never reach 50 points, but he is the future of our defence and brings a stability that is only rivalled by Johnson who is 7 years his senior.

The O'Reilly trade is looking better and better by the week at this point.

I also thought Jost and Compher had fairly good games and were two of the more notable forwards. I'd really love to see Jost get some time with Gabe and Rants

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Oilers equalizer felt inevitable. Glad the boys regrouped going into OT. Great defensive play by General Zad, & nice patience by Barrie setting up Compher’s GWG. Captain & Rants stepping up in MacK’s absence, thought Blake Don’t Call Me Perry Comeau had a nice game as well.

That McDavid kid is pretty good at hockey. Hope they don’t win the Dahlin sweepstakes.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
All I've got after that one is...f*** you refs!!! Despite the refs best efforts to gift the game to McDavid and Co. we still found a way to win.

This is getting out of control, the 3rd period was an absolute shit show, because the refs let Kassian and Lucic goon it up against our smaller guys. If the refs do their job and call Kassian for the blatant boarding on Comeau and call Lucic for that ridiculous elbow to the head of Lindholm, the Avs win the game 3-1. And to top all of it off they gift EDM a PP late where McDavid takes a superman dive. f*** off refs, go home you're drunk.

I for one am absolutely over watching the refs constantly give the Avs the short end of the stick. We got one lousy PP. Bullshit EDM only committed one penalty all game. Every game just seems to get worse. I'm just over it.

Reactions: Bender

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
All I've got after that one is...**** you refs!!! Despite the refs best efforts to gift the game to McDavid and Co. we still found a way to win.

This is getting out of control, the 3rd period was an absolute **** show, because the refs let Kassian and Lucic goon it up against our smaller guys. If the refs do their job and call Kassian for the blatant boarding on Comeau and call Lucic for that ridiculous elbow to the head of Lindholm, the Avs win the game 3-1. And to top all of it off they gift EDM a PP late where McDavid takes a superman dive. **** off refs, go home you're drunk.

I for one am absolutely over watching the refs constantly give the Avs the short end of the stick. We got one lousy PP. Bull**** EDM only committed one penalty all game. Every game just seems to get worse. I'm just over it.

We are #1 in the NHL in PP opportunities with 184.

The Oilers are dead last with 131.

The bias is in your head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad