GDT: Game #5 | Blues @ Panthers | "Yeah, I Know I'm Late. Deal With It"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Stastny has never had much chemistry with Tarasenko. I was looking forward to seeing Schenn get a chance with Tarasenko. Stastny & Schwartz have shown chemistry in the past so even though Schenn & Schwartz have produced I’d still like to see Schenn and Tarasenko attempted.

TT hasn’t looked out of place but he looks like he needs another year before he makes an impact. I’m guessing they’ll send him down before the 9 game mark.

When the team is completely healthy the lineup looks meh to me.

Steen Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Jaskin
Sobotka Berglund Barbashev

Missing Fabbri hurts the club and barring a significant trade to help with scoring I’m seeing another good year but not great.

I agree that he won't be up with the big club all season, but there is no contract consequence to keeping him up past 9 games like there would be if he were a junior player. Since he will play in the AHL if he is sent down, we are burning a year of his ELC no matter what.

The only number that is significant from a contract perspective is the 40 game mark. If he is on the NHL roster for 40 games, he will earn an 'accrued season' that puts him a year closer to UFA status. Unless he takes a big step forward over the next month or so, I'd imagine the Blues will make sure that he doesn't hit that number so that we get an extra RFA year out of him. If we limit him to fewer than 40 games on the active roster, his first UFA year is 2025/26. If he is on the NHL roster more than 40 games, his first UFA year is 2024/25 (assuming that he doesn't spend next season in the AHL after a full season in the NHL). Not a huge concern, but unless he starts being a better than replacement level player, it probably makes sense to let him develop in the AHL and save some money down the line.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Me personally, im just worried because the team hasn't actually looked all that good. The game vs. Dallas was their best. Its way too early to make a real evaluation but Im still seeing a bland offense coupled with a turtle defense. Getting Steen back may help, but he hasn't exactly been a stud lately either. I don't see how this team makes any real noise if they are icing the bottom 6 that they are.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
No offense is being generated outside of the top two lines and the defensemen. I don't get how any players from the bottom two lines can be singled out when nobody is doing much right now.

I'm actually fine with Jaskin's season besides his one off-ice goof. Sure, I'd like goals, but he's looking better than recent seasons.
No offense is being generated because Yeo continues to dress a terrible 3rd line. Obviously the injuries play a factor into this, but we still have the ability to ice a 3rd line along the lines of Megan-Barbashev-Thompson/Sundqvist. I get that Paajarvi and Sundqvist are safer players, but they haven't even been notable defensively aside from Sundqvist on the PK.

Regardless, we just need to get through this stretch until Steen returns. He'll add some stability to the lines. The Fabbri injury is really hurting us right now, we need his offensive creativity.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't see the 'turtling' defense. Is this just the new term for getting outplayed when you're leading? I see us pushing offense even when ahead in the 3rd and giving up leads because we are simply getting outplayed (or getting caught with 2 guys down low in the offensive zone). I've seen a team that is continuing to be aggressive when ahead, which results in trading chances and a high shot count. Right now I'd say our play with a lead is significantly closer to the run and gun Leafs than the Hitchcock Blues.

Our inability to hold a lead and overall effort is concerning to a degree. Dbrownss, I agree that we haven't looked all that good. However, did anyone expect us to with the injuries we have sustained? Do you not expect the bottom 6 to improve when Steen and Berglund are back? You are correct that this team won't make a run with this bottom 6, but that is kind of a moot point since the bottom 6 will look drastically different by April.

Edit: I'm not trying to say our offense has been great or potent. It hasn't been, but I think it is much more a result of personnel than style. We're getting hemmed in our own zone, but when we break out with a lead we are looking to enter the offensive zone with possession and we are attempting to create offense. It is often not coming to fruition, but we aren't playing a 1-2-2 or dumping the puck with a lone forechecker while we clog the neutral zone. That's what I consider turtling.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Me personally, im just worried because the team hasn't actually looked all that good. The game vs. Dallas was their best. Its way too early to make a real evaluation but Im still seeing a bland offense coupled with a turtle defense. Getting Steen back may help, but he hasn't exactly been a stud lately either. I don't see how this team makes any real noise if they are icing the bottom 6 that they are.

I'm going to disagree here a bit, which is odd, because I am usually much more doom and gloom. But I think the season so far has been hopeful. We are operating with a really crappy line-up due to injuries. We were already thin on top 6 talent and heavy on bottom 6. Then we lose 2 top 6 and a 3rd liner who the team was obviously counting on for secondary goals. We were weak on the LHD side and lost our biggest minute guy there. That left us with young guys and 4th liners in the top 9. Yet we've won 80% of our games. 80% of points is 131 points on the season, which would be the President's trophy by 10+ points any year since the lockout.

We have positives: Petro is looking his best yet. Edmundson is settling into the #2 role nicely. Further they seem to compliment each other nicely. This will allow us to break up the JBo-Petro pairing which is probably less than ideal, and utilize JBo to bolster other pairings. We have Schenn looking not just that he can be a center, but that he can be a game-changer from that position, especially given his chemistry with Schwartz. That pairing means we can always run 2 scoring lines and be effective. Tarasenko despite not looking great can always turn it on and be dangerous, even out there by himself. Once Steen comes back, we will be able to add some scoring touch to the third line as well. Our defense is activating really well, and scoring goals because of it. That will really help us. Both goalies have played great for the most part. So plenty of good stuff.

On the downside, our injuries aren't all going away and we could potentially have more (knock on wood). Our youth is not making the impact on the scoreboard we might have hoped. So we will always be running thin on scoring depth until someone steps up their offensive game. Our tendency to turtle and consequently blow the lead is troubling. Its good we have the lead, but you have to be able to maintain those easy wins when you get out early rather than turning what should have been a blow-out into a nail biter (I totally agree with Brian that it is a consequence of playing safe with the lead and not a complete strategy, as we've struggled with it for years). So we will need to make some improvements and get lucky with injuries to go deep in the playoffs, but for 5 games in without Fabbri, I am more confident than I'd ever have expected.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
brian39- im refering to the collapsing low pressure defense. We knew this wss coming though. They focus on keeping all the shots to the outside which is ok to an extent.

Majorityof1- its the system change im not seeing. I see some transition changes but again....the ozone looks like a circus. Im not throwing in the towel by any means but when youve watched an offensivly restricted system for years....you want to see a big change with a new coach(even though its a similar coach)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
brian39- im refering to the collapsing low pressure defense. We knew this wss coming though. They focus on keeping all the shots to the outside which is ok to an extent.

Majorityof1- its the system change im not seeing. I see some transition changes but again....the ozone looks like a circus. Im not throwing in the towel by any means but when youve watched an offensivly restricted system for years....you want to see a big change with a new coach(even though its a similar coach)

Ah, I see. I didn't expect a major change because they are similar. so maybe that's why I am ok with it. I see much more activation of our D and more E-W game, as well as our new breakout (which is a little more busy than I'd like). I have also seen the player with the puck peel off from the net/slot, while another player fills the gap left by defenders following the puck. That has worked really well for us, leaving a short pass through traffic to a wide open player up front. I don't know if we are actually running that more often as a set play, or if Ds are just blowing coverages more often. I will freely admit, I am not really an Xs and Os guy with hockey as I picked it up as an adult and never played in an organized league growing up. Everything I know about hockey is from watching the game on TV, and everything I think I know but is wrong is from EA Sports. So I can't tell if the changes are part of a designed plan shift, or just reading the play in certain circumstances and new player combinations. I'd guess a little bit of both.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I gotcha.

In that case, I don't have a problem with our D collapsing. Allen seems to love it. He thrives when he faces a high number of shots and he was awful when our defensive structure was based on pressuring the puck carrier (although I do think there were a variety of factors there). For whatever reason, Allen seems to deal with screens from in close a lot better than screens that happen further out. He stares daggers at a forward who screens him from the top of the circle but seems pretty comfortable battling at the top of his crease. I'll take a high number of shots against every day if it means a reduction in high quality chances.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ah, I see. I didn't expect a major change because they are similar. so maybe that's why I am ok with it. I see much more activation of our D and more E-W game, as well as our new breakout (which is a little more busy than I'd like). I have also seen the player with the puck peel off from the net/slot, while another player fills the gap left by defenders following the puck. That has worked really well for us, leaving a short pass through traffic to a wide open player up front. I don't know if we are actually running that more often as a set play, or if Ds are just blowing coverages more often. I will freely admit, I am not really an Xs and Os guy with hockey as I picked it up as an adult and never played in an organized league growing up. Everything I know about hockey is from watching the game on TV, and everything I think I know but is wrong is from EA Sports. So I can't tell if the changes are part of a designed plan shift, or just reading the play in certain circumstances and new player combinations. I'd guess a little bit of both.
yea im no x and o guy either...i struggle to keep up with it as it is. We really just need Easton to come in and tell us everything will be ok lol

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
it was a garbage game all around. i only watched a small bit of it but it was enough to see the team wasnt ready to play. very poor effort IMO which is the worst thing about last night. jake let in trash, special teams had epic fails and officiating looked like a joke as usual.

on to the next one

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
it was a garbage game all around. i only watched a small bit of it but it was enough to see the team wasnt ready to play. very poor effort IMO which is the worst thing about last night. jake let in trash, special teams had epic fails and officiating looked like a joke as usual.

on to the next one

This is the correct answer, if you told me we would start the season 4-1 with this schedule and injuries I would have taken it 10 out 10 times, I will worry if the hit a streak of 2-3 games like last night. Tage down Blais up, lets see if he can keep his hot streak going.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Blais should be able to do more than Thompson was.

Blais won't pull any meaningless and useless dangles that lead to nothing, but he'll get in the other teams face, be pesky and might even actually create some chances in a third line role.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Blais should be able to do more than Thompson was.

Blais won't pull any meaningless and useless dangles that lead to nothing, but he'll get in the other teams face, be pesky and might even actually create some chances in a third line role.

They're two different players that are going to play two completely different roles. I hope they can put Blais up on that Tarasenko line again, that's really the line that has struggled the most. It looks like the problem with the Stastny line is that there's no one to enter the zone but Tarasenko and he gets double covered automatically so they have to dump it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad