GDT: Game #5 | Blues @ Panthers | "Yeah, I Know I'm Late. Deal With It"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I shut off the game for CS practice after the 4th goal was scored. Seems like the only thing I missed was Dunn's first. I'll just catch that on the highlights. Can't win them all, on to the next.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
It's the horrid 5 on 3 PP's and late turtling that pisses me off. Other than that I'm thrilled with the results so far. What part is making you that mad?
Oh good friend it's been building up over the years. But it's not anger as much as it's sadness.

This was the best game we played and yet, it's the first we lose. We had some bad defensive breakdowns but unlike the other games, we actually had the puck a decent amount and made plays. Allen wasn't in God mode, Luongo was. Not that this loss is on Allen, but I see the game having a different course if he doesn't let up the McCoshen goal, which he should've had in my opinion.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The entire team looked tired and sloppy. Florida has a really good top 6 and they just looked solid all the way around. It kind of drives me crazy that Florida has a internal cap yet can still have a roster that can beat a cap team handily.

Parayko needs to be more aggressive. He hasn’t played bad necessarily but he isn’t impressing either.

The Blues have had a great start considering the injuries plus the schedule, but I can’t see this roster being a deep playoff team. The Blues need more difference makers on offense the same as last year.

At least Dallas & the Rags are both 1-3.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
i see that we did not win. bad move, IMO
giphy.gif

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The entire team looked tired and sloppy. Florida has a really good top 6 and they just looked solid all the way around. It kind of drives me crazy that Florida has a internal cap yet can still have a roster that can beat a cap team handily.

Parayko needs to be more aggressive. He hasn’t played bad necessarily but he isn’t impressing either.

The Blues have had a great start considering the injuries plus the schedule, but I can’t see this roster being a deep playoff team. The Blues need more difference makers on offense the same as last year.

To be fair..the Budget team beat a team missing almost 15m worth of players....<too lazy to do the actual math>

Ugh....god how much money spent on meh

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Im more surprised we went 4-0 than i am we lost, we are missing 2 top 6 forwards, a 3rd liner, and a top 4 defender. Once Steen gets back the 3rd line should finally stabilize and put up some points.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

I think we'll start to see the real Blues in games 25-30. Giving both Dunn and Thompson games to get their feet wet in the NHL will benefit their poise (obviously) and maybe they'll actually stay up with the club. Let's see what this team looks like healthy before we comment on them being a playoff team or not. I do hope that Blais gets a good look this year cause I think he'll be a great top 9/good top 6 player. I think a line of Blais-Steen-Barbashev could do a lot of damage and be responsible defensively, giving us 3 good lines with the 4th line being serviceable or at least average.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Luongo > Allen

Really happy for Dunn make his first NHL goal. Looks like he's only kid who can stick in NHL level.

Looks like Jaskin season is over, crafty moves first pre and regular season games and now he's lost and even slower then ever. Him and Thorburn are odd man out. Was Thompson healthy scratch? I hope Blues send him down and boy gets bigger ice minutes and PP icetime.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Ugly game with absolutely awful officiating on both sides of it. Multiple offside calls missed, phantom penalties on both teams, fake faceoff drops, blatant missed calls etc. All around awful night for the stripes.

4-1 is a pretty solid start to the season. Gotta build on it.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
This is the first game where basically EVERY mistake ended up in the Blues net. Pretty much every Blue had a rough night. It'll happen. They need to put it behind them and get ready for Tampa. I do hope that Jaskin and Thorburn on almost glued to the pressbox after this one though. Megan and Thompson provide more offensive ability and need to be playing. I'd almost be for waiving Jaskin and bringing up Blais at this point. Blues need offense in a bad way outside of the top 6. Jaskin, to me, has had 1 good game out of the 4 he's been in so far. It's time for that experiment to end.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
hes not grabner hagelin mcdavid or AA but hes just behind those guys imo

Trocheck is in that tier you are talking about, not Bjugstad. I watch 80-82 games per year. Bjugs looks healthy finally. His half slapper on PP set up one timer is his deadliest weapon (not often used sadly). His skating is not his number one asset.
Tro is also a much better hockey player. Bjugs has new life moving to 3rd line winger position. He's got to keep it up though.

Panthers are far better hockey team than was talked about in his thread, but I can see how Blues were a bit tired after 30-40'minutes of hockey. If you guys get solid goaltending rest of way, you'll be a scary out come playoffs.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Looks like Jaskin season is over, crafty moves first pre and regular season games and now he's lost and even slower then ever. Him and Thorburn are odd man out. Was Thompson healthy scratch? I hope Blues send him down and boy gets bigger ice minutes and PP icetime.

This is the first game where basically EVERY mistake ended up in the Blues net. Pretty much every Blue had a rough night. It'll happen. They need to put it behind them and get ready for Tampa. I do hope that Jaskin and Thorburn on almost glued to the pressbox after this one though. Megan and Thompson provide more offensive ability and need to be playing. I'd almost be for waiving Jaskin and bringing up Blais at this point. Blues need offense in a bad way outside of the top 6. Jaskin, to me, has had 1 good game out of the 4 he's been in so far. It's time for that experiment to end.

I'll admit, I fast-forwarded through much of the third, as the game was ugly. But what did Jaskin do that was so much worse than the rest for the team? He didn't score, but neither did his line mates Paajarvi or Sundqvist who aren't getting thrown under the bus. He was out there for 1 goal against, but that was an easy shot that Allen should have had. Per Natural Stat Trick (shout out to Morty, likeing the site more as I get used to it), Jaskin so far this year 5v5 is tied for 2nd on the team in high danger shots taken with much less ice time than many others. He leads the team in hits, all the while not having not taken a single penalty. He is tied for the lead in most penalties drawn. He is first on the team in CA/60 and 2nd in CA/60 Rel. 4th in High Danger Cori For. I can go on and on. Its a small sample size, but he is doing his job. He is maintaining puck possession, hitting people, and creating havoc to allow better players great opportunities. He is not getting special teams time, so that really limits his scoring ability in a season where 1/3 of games are special teams. I really don't know what you want from him in 11 minutes with Paajarvi and Sundqvist. But of all the people to complain about last night, he should be low on the list.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm railed on Jaskin a ton over the past couple seasons but there really isn't much justification in criticizing him so far this year. He's been good on the cycle, throws his body around, and has been effective at puck possession. Meanwhile Paajarvi has been a complete non-factor in the offensive zone. I've never seen someone with less creativity or ability to make a play. His first instinct when he gets the puck is to throw it in the corner to cycle it. If Paajarvi was on a 2-on-1 he would probably still dump and chase. I don't care how many injuries we have, there are several better options in the top nine over him.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Also, Tarasenko has been pretty lackluster to start the season. Not much jump in his game and he hasn't really been able to generate anything at even strength. I remember Korac was hyping him in training camp about how he looked leaner and faster. Don't think that really matters if you don't exert any energy to take advantage of it.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
No offense is being generated outside of the top two lines and the defensemen. I don't get how any players from the bottom two lines can be singled out when nobody is doing much right now.

I'm actually fine with Jaskin's season besides his one off-ice goof. Sure, I'd like goals, but he's looking better than recent seasons.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Truthfully the whole Sobotka-Stastny-Tarasenko hasn’t looked all that great for most of the games I’ve seen. I’d like to see Steen take Sobotka’s spot and drop Sobotka down on a third line of Sobotka-Barbashev-Thompson/Jaskin.

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Jaskin
Sobotka-Barbashev-Thompson
Upshall-Brodz-Sundquist (jk I know Thorburn will be here)

Isn’t half bad until Bergdog gets back. But boy would it be nice to get an upgrade at RW

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Stastny has never had much chemistry with Tarasenko. I was looking forward to seeing Schenn get a chance with Tarasenko. Stastny & Schwartz have shown chemistry in the past so even though Schenn & Schwartz have produced I’d still like to see Schenn and Tarasenko attempted.

TT hasn’t looked out of place but he looks like he needs another year before he makes an impact. I’m guessing they’ll send him down before the 9 game mark.

When the team is completely healthy the lineup looks meh to me.

Steen Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Jaskin
Sobotka Berglund Barbashev

Missing Fabbri hurts the club and barring a significant trade to help with scoring I’m seeing another good year but not great.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I caught a little less than half of this one, but what I saw was frustrating to say the least. Reading through this thread, it appears that my impression based on 25m inutes or so was probably accurate for the entire 60 minutes.

Oh well. These games happen and in the big picture we are currently 4-1 with only 1 game at home so far. That's not bad at all. Given the injuries in preseason, I don't think anyone here was expecting a 4-1 start. 10 days ago the general consensus was somewhere between "thank God the 1st rounder to Philly is top 10 protected" and "hopefully we can tread water long enough that we aren't in a huge hole when Steen/J-Bo return." So even after a frustrating night, 4-1 is a pretty good place to be.

Given the schedule and injuries, my realistic target for the first 10 games of the season was for the Blues to bank 10 or 11 points. That is looking very doable at this point, so I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->