GDT: Game 48: New York Rangers vs Vegas Golden Knights, 7pm ET (Game is on ESPN, and ESPN+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I know how Drury wanted to get traits that made the Rangers harder to play against so he drafts Cuylle Sykora Othmann Edstrom. Outside of Cuylle and maybe 1 or 2 players, these type of players don't exist on the Rangers. Drury just keeps making the Rangers soft, lazy and passive
Yup. The team is incredibly soft and far too easy to play against. Whens the last time you saw our guys crash the net for a loose puck let alone dig at one? I think they genuinely are either afraid or they care more about being well liked by other nhl players when they see them in the offseason

Reactions: RangersFan1994

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Shesterkin gave up 4 goals on only 15 shots tonight, a game after giving up 3 goals on 18 shots with only 2 of the 7 goals not being bad goals. This team needs at least average NHL goaltending to win. They aren't good enough to overcome the bad goals that are being given up. He needs to take a seat for a few games. It's an absolute joke that he is in the ASG since he has been bad for most of this year.
They score a maximum of 2 goals a game.

Even with average goaltending they would have lost all those games still.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Nobody made that point. At least I certainly didn't. You're arguing with yourself.

I don't think Tkachuk is bad because the Senators are bad (although he doesn't f***ing help!) I think he's bad because he's fake grit.

There's nothing I hate more than fake grit. Imagine how much of a beta ass child you have to be to put that much effort into acting tough and no effort into defense.

I'm tired of fake grit. It gets us nothing but bad players. Like I said, come up with better suggestions.
Here’s one suggestion, bump up Cuylle’s ice time. I’d love to go get 2 way players identical to the 2012 team, and I’m not talking about goons. Rangers need more guys like Fedotenko, Prust, Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc. Guys that bring their lunchpales and show up every game. Again though, this goes back to what you said earlier tonight, the team lacks an identity. I totally agree. What is the makeup of this team? It’s: rely on the goalie to stand on his head, hope the power play scores, and hope for individual efforts to win games. Recipe for disaster.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The 4th goal bothered me more than the other ones. I understand that guys hit spots sometimes and that's the nature of puck luck.

The flopping around like he was having a seizure on the 4th goal really shows you where his game is at.

Reactions: cheech70

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm tired of fake grit. It gets us nothing but bad players. Like I said, come up with better suggestions.
People mistake "grit" with punching other people and making big hits. Grit is the ability to take a hit to make a play, push towards the net, come out of the corner with the puck. Not shaken by being under physical pressure from the other team. That's grit.

Reactions: Machinehead

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They score a maximum of 2 goals a game.

Even with average goaltending they would have lost all those games still.
I doubt it. Those bad goals are back breakers and killed any momentum they may have had. It's happened way too many times this year. What's worse is when he gives up 1 he often gives up another within a few minutes. That's hard to overcome and It affects the way the team plays the rest of the game. This team is not playing well in any area and finding ways to lose far too often but goaltending is the number 1 problem right now. Just my opinion. It's ok if you disagree.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here’s one suggestion, bump up Cuylle’s ice time. I’d love to go get 2 way players identical to the 2012 team, and I’m not talking about goons. Rangers need more guys like Fedotenko, Prust, Boyle, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc. Guys that bring their lunchpales and show up every game. Again though, this goes back to what you said earlier tonight, the team lacks an identity. I totally agree. What is the makeup of this team? It’s: rely on the goalie to stand on his head, hope the power play scores, and hope for individual efforts to win games. Recipe for disaster.
Cuylle is great. He'll do anything asked of him.

Sorry, I just don't think Tkachuk is a committed player, and I think what he shows is an act.

While I disagree with your perception of him, I don't think you're wrong for wanting the type of player you believe him to be.

We need an identity, we need commitment, we need versatility, and I think still a little more talent.

That last one takes patience, timing, and luck but we can start on the others right now by deciding what we're trying to be.

And yes, play Cuylle more. He's the kind of grit I like and deserves a real look playing with scorers. He's had glimpses and usually very successful ones, and we keep going back on it the next game.

Reactions: savebyrichter94

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This team's vision is so limited. People here have argued that the kids need quality PP time to help them grow, to get some points and some confidence and new ideas because that would help the team in the future. That idea was laughed down because the team needs to win, right? But now that the future is here we see the same old PP, same old everything and when that PP goes stale the team doesn't win and the kids haven't grown.

Everything management and coaches do is always the path of least resistance and least controversy - so we end up with a team matching those parameters.
Yep some of us were saying it pretty much from day 1.
Especially with Lafreniere. You can't tell me it doesn't help build a kids confidence and game.
Not exactly the same but seeing it with Montreal and Slavkovsky who is little by little turning his game around with corresponding pp1 time.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yep some of us were saying it pretty much from day 1.
Especially with Lafreniere. You can't tell me it doesn't help build a kids confidence and game.
Not exactly the same but seeing it with Montreal and Slavkovsky who is little by little turning his game around with corresponding pp1 time.
The problem is it's hard to break up a PP that is near the top of the league even after slumping the last few weeks. Montreal is not making the playoffs and has nothing to lose. It's just a different situation.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Can the Rangers force Igor to miss out on the All-Star game? He has not earned the right to play. Rather them give it to someone more deserving

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The problem is it's hard to break up a PP that is near the top of the league even after slumping the last few weeks. Montreal is not making the playoffs and has nothing to lose. It's just a different situation.
Yep that is why I said it's not exactly the same but what is the same is a kids confidence getting a big boost with something like pp1 time. You can see it in Slavkovsky's game. He looks like a different player. More enagaged and physically imposing.
Right now would be a good time to get Lafreniere pp1 time but they wouldn't have the balls to demote Mika.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Sounds like I missed another doozy 😕
Interesting times in Ranger land. The team needs a shake up and an injection of talent, but we don't really have the assets or the cap space to do much until the off season

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Yep that is why I said it's not exactly the same but what is the same is a kids confidence getting a big boost with something like pp1 time. You can see it in Slavkovsky's game. He looks like a different player. More enagaged and physically imposing.
Right now would be a good time to get Lafreniere pp1 time but they wouldn't have the balls to demote Mika.

Even with Mika taking a shit lately, the PP is still good. Good enough not to take out a right-handed shot on the left side, because god knows Laf isn't scoring from the circle on that side with his handiness.

Just sticking dudes on the PP won't give them points and/or confidence. Slav has played double the time on the PP than Laf and only has one more PP point to show for it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Even with Mika taking a shit lately, the PP is still good. Good enough not to take out a right-handed shot on the left side, because god knows Laf isn't scoring from the circle on that side with his handiness.

Just sticking dudes on the PP won't give them points and/or confidence. Slav has played double the time on the PP than Laf and only has one more PP point to show for it.
Mika is a net negative on the pp right now. Has been for a good stretch now (almost 3 week stretch).
Maybe a coincedence or not Slavkovsky's overall game has improved since he was entrusted with more pp time.
Just saying it might be a good time to make a tweak like that.

Reactions: egelband

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Also, the 11-12 team got to the 13-14 team by biting the bullet and making a core-shaking trade that made the team both harder on the cycle AND more talented.

Something to think about as we keep sending the same roster out there.

Lavi doesn’t have the balls to put pressure on a star like Torts did to Gaborik. Trade was the right move at the time but he got the last laugh. This is the kind of numbers free thinking i like out of you though lol

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yeah yeah. Would be nice if someone from that locker room pulled a Doughty or a Toews and actually called out his team. But who would that be?

Trouba did the helmet toss, but that card has already been used.

Mika talking about the 8 tough bounces off his stick on passes a game or the bounces off the defenders stick when he tries another cross ice pass 3 feet from the goalie? Too many to keep track of for that bum. Hasn’t been an effective player 5v5 since his game tying goal in Game 7 against Pit. Gutless player you can win with in that role

Reactions: cheech70

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lavi doesn’t have the balls to put pressure on a star like Torts did to Gaborik. Trade was the right move at the time but he got the last laugh. This is the kind of numbers free thinking i like out of you though lol
The numbers and wanting to shake things up don't have to be at odds. After all, the Rangers are not a good 5v5 team and that can and should be taken as a reflection of people's misgivings.

I just think maybe not this guy first and try him on a different line before giving up.

1000003103.png

He's still who he always was and we still need that.

Kreider might not be exactly what people want, and maybe he's just a nice guy that's not going to an in your face leader, but he's always played the right way. There's no reason he can't wear an A, be an example to younger players, and continue to be effective.

I'm firmly convinced the problem is Zibanejad, both in regards to 5v5 play and some of our rotten habits.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, speaking of Zibanejad, even if he has a point about the bounces, that's not what I wanna hear publicly.

You know what? If just once, somebody had the balls, after a win where we get smashed on the charts, to say "we still need to be better." Then I might be more receptive to "woe is the bounces."

This guy has one decent game in a month on the corsi spread and wants to bring up puck luck.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The numbers and wanting to shake things up don't have to be at odds. After all, the Rangers are not a good 5v5 team and that can and should be taken as a reflection of people's misgivings.

I just think maybe not this guy first and try him on a different line before giving up.

View attachment 811310

He's still who he always was and we still need that.

Kreider might not be exactly what people want, and maybe he's just a nice guy that's not going to an in your face leader, but he's always played the right way. There's no reason he can't wear an A, be an example to younger players, and continue to be effective.

I'm firmly convinced the problem is Zibanejad, both in regards to 5v5 play and some of our rotten habits.

Kreider with Trocheck (or another center they acquire between now and 2/5) needs to be tried before anything happens. Kreider being the easiest to trade is the ultimate factor. Just like we judge guys based on how much they are paid, you have to be realpolitick with the no trade situation too. Trouba is in a similar boat but we’re taking a leap saying he actually has value. I personally would trade both because they are the 2 biggest leaders and they’ve wilted through adversity post rebuild far too much for my liking.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

What's funny about this is in 2012 people wanted more players like Mika and Panarin

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
watching the postgame comments it’s clear the team and coaching staff are walking on eggshells. Laviolette lacked understanding of the teams makeup. He’s waited about a month too long to break up Kreider and Mika and still hasn’t. Peca legitimately might be the coach next season. Also Really telling that no one has the guts to call out their teammates. Panarin, Fox, Trocheck by all means. The only 3 players who really have leg to stand on this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille