GDT: Game 47: Columbus at New York Islanders | 1/24 7PM

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
After every loss, we pretty much hear the same laments from players... not getting to the level, not giving or sustaining effort. This team seems to have trouble maintaining a competitive level. Not sure if it's related to the personalities on the team, or maybe youth that has hit a wall.

Foligno: "It's ok for a period, or it's ok for a few shifts, it's just not sustained."

"Compete level" and "sustaining effort" are code words for "we aren't really sure" and/or "it's pretty complicated, so here's some code words."

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
"Compete level" and "sustaining effort" are code words for "we aren't really sure" and/or "it's pretty complicated, so here's some code words."

Bingo. Especially when those words/phrases are thrown around as often as they are.

Bright spot tonight was the Caps and Pens having stinkers as well.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I agree that the compete level wasn't there. That was hard to watch. One of the few games I lost interest in halfway through, even before the game got out of reach at 4-1. They were getting outskated to most 50/50 pucks and were playing reactionary defense and careless on offense.

And when will Saad learn he sucks at dangling one defender, let alone trying to skate through 3 of them. He tries multiple times a game and I don't think I've ever seen it work.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
WSH is 8-1-1 last 10, besides that, everyone in the East is playing .500 hockey roughly.

I think several teams are coasting into the break.

We are definitely lacking in focus and imo health. Some of the guys just looked gimpy and tired on the ice.

I think mentally and physically these guys need a break. We need to come down for a couple days and hit the reset button.

I said in December and I'll repeat it now. I HATED that damn winning streak. It drained us mentally and physically and we haven't had consistent focus for 60 minutes since it ended.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
So, we are at 68 points now and if we play .500 hockey the rest of the way, we finish with 103 points (if my math is correct?). Is this defined as a good season if you finish with 103 points? Overall, yes, and then you see what happens in the playoffs. I am not saying we play .500 hockey the rest of the way, but if we do, then we have had a good season, haven't we? We are in the middle of a long season, with peaks and valleys, winning streaks and losing streaks. I am willing to judge the team on the whole season and see where we are at in the end. This team can come back and have another winning streak, who would have thought that they would come back and win Sunday? Any hockey season is a roller coaster ride, let's try to ride this out and enjoy it. It sure beats the alternative (i.e. last season)

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I remember the glory days, when a 6-6 January would have been cause for celebration.

The all star break will do us a lot of good, and give many on here a chance to step back from the ledge. Last year on this date the mighty Penguins were 23-17-7, essentially a .500 team. Every team goes through some rough stretches over the course of a season. Hopefully this is ours, there's plenty of time to fix things and we have a lot of margin for error.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Saader can and has dangled through players before.

The issue is that he needs to get back to the straight line basics first. That means being faster to the forecheck and doing the little things to keep the play alive. We should except him to be in on the puck on the wall and winning about 60% of his battles when he's there. He's that good.

The Jackets aren't a skilled team that can dazzle night in and night out, but they're skilled enough to take advantage of the space that their hard straight game creates. We saw lots of skilled plays earlier in the year (even before the streak) but those should be seen as a by-product of the straight line approach. When you play hard, you make space, and that allows skill to go to work. And with the exception of some nice set plays, that skill is just instinctual.

I suspect for a lot of guys the difficulty of getting back on their game is finding that balance between straight line and skill. For the teams' sake they should just stick with the hard straight game and their instincts for skill plays will come when the opportunity is truly ripe.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus

I don't agree. They just are getting out-competed most games since the streak ended and the effort level has been generally poor. Hoping they are just mentally drained from the streak -- that does happen, especially with young teams -- and they can reset and get back to a higher level of success after the break. It'll help to get their D-men back as well.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The Leading One encourages those who have not yet discovered the truth in team ball sports by reciting Pep Guardiola.

"I agree that the play is of those who plays it. Of the prevalent reckoning in which play belongs to the players, I disagree. Play does not belong to players, coaches, fans or management. Play belongs to teams."

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Event + Response = Outcome

Event being those things happening around you that can be out of your control
Response being how you process and react to the event
= being determines various E + R's have significantly different outcomes
Outcome : the final result

Responses can be above the line or below the line: above being positive, owning the issue, reflecting even if for a second, and controlling the best response to achieve / determine the best outcome

below the line: Response playing the blame game/ any connotation that blames others or denies involvement

Theory - developed by Tim Kight. Check it out. I see no blame here which is good / I also see a lack of effort to win the 50/50's. Fix the problem as a team. Commit to leaving it all on the ice for your brother & get them each to reciprocate

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Jukka Rautakorpi turned away from meidän peli to coach 'effort' in ice hockey and got Finland's U-20 WJC team almost relegated. Last year some of those team-members had gathered gold and hype that comes with it. Maybe they were not motivated this time around.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Responses can be above the line or below the line: above being positive, owning the issue, reflecting even if for a second, and controlling the best response to achieve / determine the best outcome

below the line: Response playing the blame game/ any connotation that blames others or denies involvement

Theory - developed by Tim Kight. Check it out. I see no blame here which is good / I also see a lack of effort to win the 50/50's. Fix the problem as a team. Commit to leaving it all on the ice for your brother & get them each to reciprocate

Welcome to HF, Urban.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Pretty good basic theory imo. I'd like it if what you call "event" was more widely understood.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Saader can and has dangled through players before.

The issue is that he needs to get back to the straight line basics first. That means being faster to the forecheck and doing the little things to keep the play alive. We should except him to be in on the puck on the wall and winning about 60% of his battles when he's there. He's that good.

The Jackets aren't a skilled team that can dazzle night in and night out, but they're skilled enough to take advantage of the space that their hard straight game creates. We saw lots of skilled plays earlier in the year (even before the streak) but those should be seen as a by-product of the straight line approach. When you play hard, you make space, and that allows skill to go to work. And with the exception of some nice set plays, that skill is just instinctual.

I suspect for a lot of guys the difficulty of getting back on their game is finding that balance between straight line and skill. For the teams' sake they should just stick with the hard straight game and their instincts for skill plays will come when the opportunity is truly ripe.

I think this is spot on. The trouble is when a team is like the Jackets playing that hard effort for 82 games is tough, if not impossible. They just can't go multiple games in a row without the hard effort. Here and there okay but if they don't get back to the style of the first 35 or so after the break it will be a tough second half and probably a quick exit from the playoffs.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
In which part foreshadowing happens? Should they not have models in place or is this a professional school boy team? Are there play-off games where the other team just wanted it more that night and your team lacked in skating?

The continuous talk of feelings and such takes you off centre. I think it says enough that those discussions take place off the centre, leading you further off centre. Sports journalism acceps the easy answer. Without understanding. Or educating the reader. You cannot ever love too much.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I think this is spot on. The trouble is when a team is like the Jackets playing that hard effort for 82 games is tough, if not impossible. They just can't go multiple games in a row without the hard effort. Here and there okay but if they don't get back to the style of the first 35 or so after the break it will be a tough second half and probably a quick exit from the playoffs.

During and before the streak they were often not outplaying teams the entire game. Many games they relied on a strong 3rd period (where they seemed to have better conditioning) to win the game. However, they were not getting beaten on the boards the majority of the game. Maybe they were getting outplayed 1/3 of the game instead of 2/3 of it (like what is common now). I don't know if the conditioning has evened out as the season has progressed or if Jackets are just in a mental funk since the streak ended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad