GDT: Game 40: Sharks @ CBJ | 4/9 7:00 PM EDT (Rediscovering Mojo edition)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
What I still cannot believe is that Richards continues to put RJ and Foligno together on the PP rather than Calvert and Atkinson. The idea of RJ and Nick on the PP together is so stupid that it is beyond fathomable. This time the only shot on goal they produced was by the Sharks. One of those two must be gone next year.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Back from the game. Now THAT is how to you respond to getting embarrassed on home ice! Well done boys. Comeau was hitting. Wiz didnt make a boneheaded play. Calvert's line was OMG! The New York Connection looked good. And Bob was, well, Bob.

Were you in 103? Could yoou see/hear the woman with the flag who kept telling the Jackets "You can do it!" Did you notice the guy in the red t-shirt in fron of her who kept leaning forward every time she started in? Yeah...

You could tell the guys were having fun in the third. If Nick Foligno wasn't already my new favorite player, he would be after doing a little dance move during The Hockey Song.

Johansen sighting, btw. He's been ineffective of late, but was really on tonight.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The idea that we are going to get the Vezina Award winner to sign a 2 year deal seems dubious at best.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Were you in 103? Could yoou see/hear the woman with the flag who kept telling the Jackets "You can do it!" Did you notice the guy in the red t-shirt in fron of her who kept leaning forward every time she started in? Yeah...

You could tell the guys were having fun in the third. If Nick Foligno wasn't already my new favorite player, he would be after doing a little dance move during The Hockey Song.

Johansen sighting, btw. He's been ineffective of late, but was really on tonight.

How could anyone in the section MISS that woman?!? :laugh:

Hooks

Jun 30, 2011
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 6m
#CBJ G Sergei Bobrovsky on his verbal exchange with TJ Galiardi at end of 2nd: "He asked me how I feel. I told him how I feel."

Excellent game. Only disappointment was that nobody went after Galiardi. You have to protect your goalie and the rest of the league needs to know that you will protect your goalie. Whoever was on the ice should have jumped Galiardi even if they get a suspension. Bob should have whacked him with his stick. Like Hextall said The players need to know that you are a little crazy so that they stay out of the crease.

Just my two cents.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 6m
#CBJ G Sergei Bobrovsky on his verbal exchange with TJ Galiardi at end of 2nd: "He asked me how I feel. I told him how I feel."

Excellent game. Only disappointment was that nobody went after Galiardi. You have to protect your goalie and the rest of the league needs to know that you will protect your goalie. Whoever was on the ice should have jumped Galiardi even if they get a suspension. Bob should have whacked him with his stick. Like Hextall said The players need to know that you are a little crazy so that they stay out of the crease.

Just my two cents.

If I'm TJ Galiardi, and I'm in mid-game form out there, I'm much more worried about my coach being pissed because I took a major penalty than someone punching me in the face. Actually, I wouldn't mind taking a punch or a whack from a stick, it's kind of part of the fun of the game, as long as its not a stick in the teeth. And the best is when I can run the goalie, elbow him in the head so hard he can't see straight, but the refs only call 2 minutes. There is nothing the other team can do about it. The one exception is if the game is one-sided late in the third they can try something dirty when I'm not expecting it, a butt-end in the gut, an elbow to the chops, a hit from behind. That would suck.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
Great game all-around. Really glad, I chose this game to go to. Section 103 was a really nice view. Matt Calvert is a little ball of awesomeness. Matty, Matty!!!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I watched the San Jose feed tonight. One of the stats they mentioned was the CBJ lead the league in fewest giveaways at 169 going into this game. Does that seem right?

I don't know if takeaway stats are standardized, it might be arena specific. But we do a very good job of it. Wiz and JJ probably account for half of our total.

Without Boll or Dorsett there isn't much we can do... I hope JD considers a backup to Boll in the future...

We do have a backup. His name is Dalton Prout, and he could have punched the puss out of Galiardi's face if Galiardi would fight him. Unfortunately, Prout is an effective defender, so most of the time there is a cost to taking him out for 5 minutes. So are you asking for another lineup spot for a designated fighter who isn't needed in another capacity? Or a fighter who plays in the minors who can fill in for Boll when needed?

But advanced stats say we care better off with him off the ice.:)

It seems you are making a joke, that if advanced stats says this about JJ it just proves that they're worthless because we all know JJ is kickass... Actually I'm not sure you're saying that. In any case, the advanced stats for JJ when he was with the Kings showed that he was abysmal. But since joining the Jackets his advanced stats show that he is actually a valuable defender who, this year, has been playing against the toughest opposition, starting in his own end, and moving the puck forward at a very good rate. Isn't that what we see?

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
We do have a backup. His name is Dalton Prout, and he could have punched the puss out of Galiardi's face if Galiardi would fight him. Unfortunately, Prout is an effective defender, so most of the time there is a cost to taking him out for 5 minutes. So are you asking for another lineup spot for a designated fighter who isn't needed in another capacity? Or a fighter who plays in the minors who can fill in for Boll when needed?

Foligno, Dubinsky, and (especially) Wiz are all capable scrappers as well. Cody Bass is also a scrapper who isnt completely useless

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
It seems you are making a joke, that if advanced stats says this about JJ it just proves that they're worthless because we all know JJ is kickass... Actually I'm not sure you're saying that. In any case, the advanced stats for JJ when he was with the Kings showed that he was abysmal. But since joining the Jackets his advanced stats show that he is actually a valuable defender who, this year, has been playing against the toughest opposition, starting in his own end, and moving the puck forward at a very good rate. Isn't that what we see?

Yes, I did forget the :sarcasm:

It seems that's all we have heard about JJ is how bad the stats tell us he is. And you are right, if one checks he is much better than he used to be. But that's how HF is, once a reputation is gained to hell with the facts.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
What I still cannot believe is that Richards continues to put RJ and Foligno together on the PP rather than Calvert and Atkinson. The idea of RJ and Nick on the PP together is so stupid that it is beyond fathomable. This time the only shot on goal they produced was by the Sharks. One of those two must be gone next year.

Foligno has speed, size, and some good moves.

But he can't seem to avoid peppering his game with bad passes. He had all the earmarks of a career 3rd liner, so I wouldn't expect to see him stick around.

RJ continues to look like a guy who's lost his game. Some other team will no doubt think they can help him find it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
IMO JJ's advanced stats are ok but not great. Like the rest of the team is. JJ is not good enough to carry the team but can be out there on top pairing and log tough minutes. Without being liability. I think he'll improve even.

The good: he doesn't take much penalties.
Takes tough minutes. Low. off zone starts.
Improvement form previous years.

The bad: doesn't excel against tough competition. Hope this improves as C depth gets better.

Corsi is still negative.

Team scores more when he's off the ice and lets in less goals. Doesn't mean JJ is bad but he's taking the tougher minutes. If they'd be given someone else, we would be worse.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
One down, eight to go.

Watched at the Firehouse last night. Gave my tickets to my oldest daughter and son-in-law. So glad they got to see a great game.

Sadly, didn't get to see the third period due to taking a few emergency runs. Really wish people would try and schedule their emergencies for after the CBJ game is over! :sarcasm:

Not going to hate on RJ. Still think he would be a valuable piece on a good third line.

No complaints at all about what I saw last night. Love seeing Gabby scoring at better than a point a game.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

In this morning's paper, Cam said he didn't see what happened until it was replayed on the board. Had he seen it, he said he would have gone after Galiardi.

That was a great game to attend! The team played well, the crowd was into it, and the results were more than satisfactory! By the way, attendance was announced as 17,771, pretty good for a Tuesday night. As many have said, give Columbus fans something to cheer about and they'll return to the Arena in droves.

Unlike some others, I love seeing all the little kids being introduced by their families to the game. I grew up at sports venues at all levels of all sports and that early exposure made me a fan for life. Those kids are going to be the season ticket holders in just a few years and, hopefully, will have great stories about the "old days" to share with their kids when the Jackets are a playoff regular!

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That was a great game to attend! The team played well, the crowd was into it, and the results were more than satisfactory! By the way, attendance was announced as 17,771, pretty good for a Tuesday night. As many have said, give Columbus fans something to cheer about and they'll return to the Arena in droves.

Under 400 from a sellout is more than "pretty good" for a Tuesday night. Way to represent. I wonder if I was one of the 300 or so that got counted as not being there. I had a ticket, but also had a migraine so didn't drive down there.

We've really embarrassed San Jose this season. I am sure they are going to be fired up next Tuesday and attempt to make us pay for our impudence.

Zoo16

Bye West,Hello East!
Oct 30, 2008
Columbus, OH
I was definitely surprised by the attendance last night. From what I saw, that 17K number was fairly accurate.
My tickets were in a corner (111), and I figured that by the third period my friends and I could find an empty row or two toward the middle if we wanted to get a different angle. Nope. Very few empty seats in the lower sections. It felt good to see so many come out and support the team.

Zoo16

Bye West,Hello East!
Oct 30, 2008
Columbus, OH
And if we needed more evidence that Galiardi wasn't touched before he ran Bobs:

t0Ez3ov.gif

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
And if we needed more evidence that Galiardi wasn't touched before he ran Bobs:

t0Ez3ov.gif

When you see the replay after Galiardi gets up he tells the ref that he was pushed. I agree that there needed to be some kind of reaction to that play. St. Louis will try the same thing on Friday, they did it last Friday. These teams are not stupid, they know that Bob is the best player on the ice and really the only thing keeping us in games on a nightly basis. I'm sure no one on here wants the "Michael Leighton Show."

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There could be some nasty moments on Friday nite. We better be ready for the classic Hitchcock encouraged cheap shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad