GDT: Game 40: Columbus at Carolina | 1/10 7PM

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Not a great game to watch as a CBJ fan. I could tell after we went down 2-1 that it was going to take something special from the Hartnell line to win. It almost happened, a few times.

If the goal that should've been counts, who knows what happens? Of the 3 losses in the last week, this seems like the least distressing one to me. I hope the boys forget it quickly and resume their winning ways Friday night with a fully recouped lineup.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Torts has been saying for a while now that at some point the team was going to hit a rough patch. That is happening now. And, by the way, it happens to every team in the league at some point. Look at the Flyers record, post 10 game winning streak.

They will work through this and be OK. I don't expect another extended winning streak, but things should settle down into a good rest of the season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since the streak ended the Jackets have played like a broken toy.

we haven't played a good 60 minutes since Edmonton game. We're not playing well at all.

Where did our power play go?

Where did our defense go?

Torts has been saying for a while now that at some point the team was going to hit a rough patch. That is happening now.

They will work through this and be OK. I don't expect another extended winning streak, but things should settle down into a good rest of the season.

Edited these quoted posts - there were parts that went beyond points that I agreed with. But these... count me in.

What happens when things aren't working? That's what the challenge is now. Seems like what I was calling organization but which others might call scheme or playbook, is suffering right now. Cohesion, maybe? Whatever you want to call it, it's lacking, in both the offensive and defensive zones. (Which is not me saying there aren't moments or that the team has fallen apart.)

Seems for sure mental to me, and I expect this will, like the streak, also pass.

I also don't think it's totally a goalie-dependent thing. For sure different phases of the game impact each other, but the discombobulation (haha, bob) goes beyond just responding to goalie play.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Meh. Carolina is scrappy, I like that team. Forsberg has now played I think 10 NHL games, and hasn't had a good one yet. I'm sure nerves had some to do with it, but man his rebound control was non-existant. So many juicy ones that the D was able to sweep away. I'm not going to crucify him after this one game though.

I agree that Josh Anderson should replace Boone. It really bums me out to see him struggle this much. Torts has given him ample time to get it going, but a 24pt pace isn't going to cut it on the second line. Anderson is bigger, faster, stronger, has better puck handling skills, and has thus far proven to be the better player this year. If the team is really about accountability its time to move Boone out of the top 6.

It is pretty concerning that the #1 pk made the #1 pp look beer league level. 1 shot total on 4 power plays is a joke. The book is out, time to start thinking outside the box.

Overall, I'm not too worried. We got spoiled after 16 straight. Once we start choking away the playoff spot is when I will start getting more nervous. Still frustrating as hell to watch.

Sums my thoughts to a T.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That was one of the sloppier games I've been to. Not "sloppy" because one team or the other was playing good defense causing the other team to turn the puck over, just plain sloppy. Turn-overs, offensive zone penalties, high stick, etc.. Can't really recall a game like that. Neither goalie played particularly well either as about half of those goals probably don't go in if a goalie is playing well. Watching if live, Jones and Atkinson really stood out to me as a Canes fan. Jones is just awesome and Atkinson is so much better than I remember him being.

I'm a bit surprised you guys weren't more physical with the Canes. In the past, that was always a staple playing you guys..that you were much more physical and tried to get the Canes off their game. Will be surprised if that's not the case the next time they meet.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
To the CBJ jackass who sat beside me in 109, please stop being on our side.

Neither team looked that great. Neutral zone giveaways, D couldn't keep the puck in the O zone, trying to skate through the entire Canes team, Forsberg looked shaky, guys just standing around, except for Foligno I don't recall many checks.

No way the Canes keep this franchise in Raleigh if they continue with that attendance, which would really suck for me personally.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am a bit more concerned than others. To me I see a complete loss of the focus and confident aggression that marked our play until Christmas. We are tentative. As an example, I would point to Wennberg. Now Wennberg has not done anything bad. He never does. but where during the streak he was actively making things happen. Now he seems to be sitting back like he did earlier in his career waiting for the puck to come to him. I think our offense has suffered from his lack of active creativity. As I said, there are no glaring mistakes that he has made. He just is not actively playing his game. And across the board that seems to be the case with the exception of Atkinson, Foligno, Hartnell and Anderson.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I am a bit more concerned than others. To me I see a complete loss of the focus and confident aggression that marked our play until Christmas. We are tentative. As an example, I would point to Wennberg. Now Wennberg has not done anything bad. He never does. but where during the streak he was actively making things happen. Now he seems to be sitting back like he did earlier in his career waiting for the puck to come to him. I think our offense has suffered from his lack of active creativity. As I said, there are no glaring mistakes that he has made. He just is not actively playing his game. And across the board that seems to be the case with the exception of Atkinson, Foligno, Hartnell and Anderson.

That may be or it might just be that its an 82 game schedule and the guys just went through a major event with the streak and we are witnessing the hangover. I hope its the latter and they get back on track soon because they looked like crap last night.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Let's just use the Edmonton excuse of 18 games in 32 days or whatever it was. We just played 4 in 6.

Thankfully we won't have to scramble to put together a huge late season push and a few losses here and there won't sink us.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Torts has got to get the boys on edge again. We got beat to pucks and played another team that outworked us. The Blue Jackets cannot allow themselves to be outworked - they are young, their legs are fresh.

Figs, Hartzy, Duby and Cam need to express some anger and bring the boys together. We need points each and every game - and that starts with the next shift period.

LoveCBJ

Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
Very little checking and need more puck possession. Other teams have a lot of tape on us now, so we need to make some adjustments. Would like to see Gagner or Calvert with Dubi, Cam instead of Jenner.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The team needs to get back to practice and to the drawing board. Other clubs have caught on to the tactics. We're seeing a lot of bread and butter plays, that the club relies on all over the ice, get cut off.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I don't think the team looks that much different, just not getting the bounces we were before.

I'm pretty much with you. We played well vs NYR, so-so vs Philly, and so-so vs Carolina.

Not having Bob for 2 of those games is a significant handicap.

Carolina is good folks, 13-4-1 at home this season, and imo a playoff team.

We lean on our goalie, I don't like it, but its reality. We need a solid backup or this whole season rides on Bob's health.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The PP looks a bit stale. I think they could benefit from a day or two of practice.

That's my concern is the league caught up to the 1-3-1. First of year most teams were not prepared for it and it gave us an advantage. Now teams have a report on it and are better prepared. Kind of like the Bears in the NFL when they played the 4-6 Bear and dominated, but slowly over time (took longer there) teams learned how to play against it.
Honestly we knew we couldn't continue at the pace we were on (with the PP)but Carolina did make us look very bad.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Was at the game and started feeling lousy during (me......not related to the CBJ play). Only today before I feel like doing anything.

Carolina is a fast team and has some talent with Aho and Tervainen and Staal.

The biggest difference that I saw was the CBJ defense didn't collapse in front of Foresberg and Carolina did. COlumbus PP only generated one shot and it was weak. They cleared very well on the PK.

Foresburg only let in one that was really his fault. Bob was sick and Calvert was sick. The whole team was just out of sorts. The video review of the (almost) 2nd goal was inconclusive. I thought it was in when I saw it live - it was right in front of me. Go to the locker room up 2-0 after 1 and its a different game.

Worst attended NHL game I have ever been to. I bet there were not 6,000 people in the building.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm pretty much with you. We played well vs NYR, so-so vs Philly, and so-so vs Carolina.

Not having Bob for 2 of those games is a significant handicap.

Carolina is good folks, 13-4-1 at home this season, and imo a playoff team.

We lean on our goalie, I don't like it, but its reality. We need a solid backup or this whole season rides on Bob's health.

Bob is a big loss when he's not on the ice but during the streak we were not leaning on him many games to steal wins. There are many glaring things that have come into play over recent games.

During the streak the team was relentless on the puck. You would see two CBJ players attack the puck. One would check and take the man and the other would come up with the puck. I saw little of this in the Caps game, it was better in the first two periods of the NYR game and it was non existent in the previous two games.

The play in the neutral zone has been horrific. Teams have found a way to prevent the team from taking an easy path from the D zone to the attack zone. My theory is that the passing that was really good during the streak has now gone to terribly insufficient.

The quickness in transition from the D zone to the attack has slowed down tremendously. The players seem lately to be ok with dumping the puck out of the D zone instead of skating the puck out of danger and passing it forward to a rushing forward. This could be from better preparation from the opponent, the defenders afraid to make mistakes or from fatigue from playing this relentless playoff like style for a couple of months.

The PP has regressed quickly. Not unexpected from the early season success but they seem confused now and have not been able to adjust to what teams have been doing to shut it down.

If they get back to playing the way they were (don't know if possible) they will be successful but how much of that can be maintained with so many games, not as much rest and limited practice time from this point forward.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Bob is a big loss when he's not on the ice but during the streak we were not leaning on him many games to steal wins. There are many glaring things that have come into play over recent games.

During the streak the team was relentless on the puck. You would see two CBJ players attack the puck. One would check and take the man and the other would come up with the puck. I saw little of this in the Caps game, it was better in the first two periods of the NYR game and it was non existent in the previous two games.

The play in the neutral zone has been horrific. Teams have found a way to prevent the team from taking an easy path from the D zone to the attack zone. My theory is that the passing that was really good during the streak has now gone to terribly insufficient.

The quickness in transition from the D zone to the attack has slowed down tremendously. The players seem lately to be ok with dumping the puck out of the D zone instead of skating the puck out of danger and passing it forward to a rushing forward. This could be from better preparation from the opponent, the defenders afraid to make mistakes or from fatigue from playing this relentless playoff like style for a couple of months.

The PP has regressed quickly. Not unexpected from the early season success but they seem confused now and have not been able to adjust to what teams have been doing to shut it down.

If they get back to playing the way they were (don't know if possible) they will be successful but how much of that can be maintained with so many games, not as much rest and limited practice time from this point forward.

My bigger concern about Bob out of the lineup is not the lower level of goaltending, but the entire team seems to play differently, with less swagger. The fear factor or safe factor seemed to creep in - other than that happening when NYR scored the PP goal at the beginning of the 3rd period, the NYR game was outstanding. The lost their nerve (or as Torts puts it "lost our way").

NYR game bolded comment - same reaction as above...They were great for 2 periods, fell into "protect the G and lead" mode in 3rd period. That can be cured, relatively quickly.

Agree with poor neutral zone observation - and part of that seems related to the very-recent change to chipping pucks out of the D-zone much more than before. Allows opponent to press up even more.

PP comment - it's in a lull, they need to make a few adjustments to counter the adjustments opponents have made. Not that worried about PP, they have all the skill and mindset to move the puck. It may not come back at 27%+, but it will be effective.

Edmonton game on 1/3/17 was 9 days ago. They played stalwart game.

Washington game was the end of the Streak - too much pressure, Washington now hottest team in the league, was at Washington, etc...just not that much to worry about.

NYR game was a loss that because of how it happened was disheartening, but in the big picture was a well-played game until the turtling began. Good lesson game.

PHIL - all guts game. If PHIL had not scored with 16.5 seconds, we would have felt better about the overall game. It was great to get the 2 points. They did not play badly, they were on fumes, and they found a way.

CAROLINA - Poor goaltending, and Dalton Prout on a forward line made that game an absolute outlier. No trust in G after a while, and Torts indicated that others were feeling flu coming on as well. Throw it away. If Forsberg's game is that level for very long, he won't be the backup - at least not in Columbus!

The litmus test in my mind is the two-game set this weekend. Get 3 of 4 points and I'm happy, especially if the quality of play is better (and I expect it to be). In fact if they play great but lose to a hot goalie, I'm still happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad