HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
But Bourque didn't even played in the NHL. At least Barron produced offensively in the big league. I mean, there is point to make in favor of Bpourque but to say it's not even close, i disagree totally.

Same age, same draft, almost picked at the same spot.

Barron : big mobile RHD that can produce offensively (in the NHL) but have big defensive warts.

Bourque : Small center that produce in the AHL...
That's fair, perhaps not even close was a bit much.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would not say the gap is enormous. Bourque has good AHL numbers as a forward. Slightly better than what Ylonen did in the AHL.

I think Barron has more value than most of our fan base realizes. 7 goals with 13 pts in 48 games and he's a big body that skates well with a great shot. A rare RD. A full season translates to 12 goals and 22 pts. Maturity is his only problem and his goal scoring ability as a D man is well above average. I would not take this lightly.

Edge to Bourque IMO. Maybe Bourque gets a 8/10 rating and Barron is at 7/10. Gap could increase if Bourque comes into the NHL and shines right away but that is undetermined.

If Bourque is waivers exempt next season, he has added value over Barron.
I agree with you. Also, the waiver exempt aspect is a good point. Though, if the trade happen, both players will play in the NHL as they would fill a need for respective team.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jets made the playoffs but did not win either their division, or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to max 28). I believe Jets started playoffs w pick 27 & CAR pick 28 since Canes were in same situation but finished w 1-more pts in standings

Teams that win their divisions but do not make it to final-4 get one of picks 25–28

If CAR advances to final-4 they will have one of picks 29-32 & NYR then get 28 and Jets pick stays at 27OA. If DAL also loses then Jets pick moves down to pick 26OA

IF CAR & DAL both lose, Canes get 28, Dal 27, Jets 26

IF CAR loses but DAL wins, Jets pick is 27OA

All 3 of NYR, CAR, DAL would’ve had to lose for pick 25

I stand corrected, IF final-4 is Edm vs Avs and Bruins vs Canes then yes Jets pick would be 24OA - since division winners would have picks 25-28

Yup, 24-27 range depending on the Oilers, Avs, Bruins.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
no way ANA does this

Norman Flynn suggested during his visit to the Antichamber a major transaction offer between the Montreal Canadiens and the Anaheim Ducks. He suggests that CH general manager Kent Hughes contact Pat Verbeek to offer him the 5th overall pick in the draft in exchange for 21-year-old center Mason McTavish.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Because Barron's game seems to have stagnated whereas Bourque's arrows continue to point up. Way up.

I also don't know that much can be taken from Barron playing 100 games and Bourque 1. Dallas has slowly cooked a great prospect whereas we might have rushed Barron because he was a big piece in a trade.
Barron's game has not stagnated. This false narrative can stop any time now.
I'm not sure why so many people are on his case when he's obviously getting better.
Barron made decent progress in Laval playing faster and using his size.
He was obviously more confident and made better decisions with the puck.
He was arguably Laval's best defender in their stretch run.

I believe this KID will put it together and he has attributes that can't be denied.
I said it before and I will reiterate Barron's coordination is still catching up with his frame.
His play at season's end was not costing us games nor was he our worst defender.
My guess is another season will increase his value which can only help.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'm not sure why so many people are on his case when he's obviously getting better.

I believe this KID will put it together and he has attributes that can't be denied.
I said it before and I will reiterate Barron's coordination is still catching up with his frame.
His play at season's end was not costing us games nor was he our worst defender.
Another season would have helped his value if he could have spent time in the AHL but he is no longer waiver claim exempt.

He might just be getting the Primeau treatment next season and kept on the NHL roster so as not to lose him and not necessarily cause he won a place at camp.

Not everyone is on his case. There are growing pains and brain cramps and some are uncertain about his ceiling — just the type of thing you see in young D generally.

His IQ is often questioned and if he is indeed a low IQ guy, it’s an issue.

How is he going to increase his value in Montreal by playing 6-7th D minutes?

My guess is that he becomes trading fodder eventually but he might survive some time longer on account of him playing a premium position, where the org does not have a ton of depth. Once Mailloux and Reinbacher are ready to make the jump, he’s likely gone.

I thought your use of the capitalized, bolded KID did a good job of increasing his value. ;)

Reactions: Deus ex machina

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
5th overall. Is that a carrot that we can dangle for immediate help? I doubt anyone we grab will make a big impact at the NHL level immediately.

Would need to be a younger player with big upside to do it. I wouldn't trade that pick for Zegras for example.

Should be an interesting offseason for the Habs. Another high pick to add one of Iginla or Lindstrom (my favourites), another year older for Cole and Slaf and Suz. Hopefully a healthy year for Dach.

I've been pessimistic about Montreal's chances to push for the playoffs since the fall (losing Danault and KK adding I forget his name center from Arizona) during Bergevin's era. But this season I'm cautiously optimistic.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
no way ANA does this

Norman Flynn suggested during his visit to the Antichamber a major transaction offer between the Montreal Canadiens and the Anaheim Ducks. He suggests that CH general manager Kent Hughes contact Pat Verbeek to offer him the 5th overall pick in the draft in exchange for 21-year-old center Mason McTavish.
No way anyone does anything advanced by Norman Flynn. AC not getting rid of him is a major troll job.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Jets 1st. Where does it land?

* Finished 4th (29th in reverse)
* Didn't win a division.
* Won't reach the conference finals.

Right now, all 4 division winners are still in it. Rangers and Stars already have picks after the Jets and so will the Panthers and Canucks for winning their division. This bumps the Jets pick to at least 27th.

Is the Jets pick 24th best case? We are looking at a pick 24-27 range? At the very least, the Canucks and Panthers will have picks after the Jets for winning their division. If the Oilers, Avs, and Bruins reach the final 4, that pushes the Jets pick down 3 more spots to 24.

Next Question: What does this package do in terms of moving up in the draft from 24-27? Does it get you 15-18 range? Team trading with us gets two very good futures in Jets 1st and Mesar and also a NHL body now. Avs 2nd as a sweetener.

* Jets 1st
* Mesar
* Avs 2nd
* Harris or Ylonen or Farrell
All of those assets should allow us to move up 10-12 spots, which means if there is a player Hugo covets that might have dropped to ~15th then im happy to pull the trigger to get that player.. i think Eiserman might be available around there and feel he is definately worth the risk - hes either boom or bust (literally).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All of those assets should allow us to move up 10-12 spots, which means if there is a player Hugo covets that might have dropped to ~15th then im happy to pull the trigger to get that player.. i think Eiserman might be available around there and feel he is definately worth the risk - hes either boom or bust (literally).
Who knows if Sennecke might be there at 10-12.

However, it’s going to take way more than Mesar and the like to get there and we should pay it. Walking away with two high octane offensive prospects would be huge (assuming the 5th is used on a forward).

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

Ok...Time will tell, but currently I'd take Bourque over him.

Also, a 22 year old, former 1st round pick that has 100 NHL games under his belt probably SHOULD be the best Defenseman in Laval.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Another season would have helped his value if he could have spent time in the AHL but he is no longer waiver claim exempt.

He might just be getting the Primeau treatment next season and kept on the NHL roster so as not to lose him and not necessarily cause he won a place at camp.

Not everyone is on his case. There are growing pains and brain cramps and some are uncertain about his ceiling — just the type of thing you see in young D generally.

His IQ is often questioned and if he is indeed a low IQ guy, it’s an issue.

How is he going to increase his value in Montreal by playing 6-7th D minutes?

My guess is that he becomes trading fodder eventually but he might survive some time longer on account of him playing a premium position, where the org does not have a ton of depth. Once Mailloux and Reinbacher are ready to make the jump, he’s likely gone.

I thought your use of the capitalized, bolded KID did a good job of increasing his value. ;)
If Barron can win and hold down the 3rd pairing RD position that will certainly hold value for us.
His fight to retain a spot will come the following season when we expect one or both of Reinbacher and Mailloux to graduate.
We will have to see how camp turns out but I certainly don't see either of those guys ahead of him yet.
His tenure will become perilous if we end up keeping Guhle on that right side beyond next season but most think that is temporary.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
There is no rush to trade any of the assets Habs have right now on D. Most could and should start at AHL level next Fall. Barron can still play on the right side. Kovy as a backup. On the left, even if Hutson starts in MTL, there is still question marks about Xhekaj shoulders injuries. We know Harris can do the job, or Guhle, even better.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ok...Time will tell, but currently I'd take Bourque over him.

Also, a 22 year old, former 1st round pick that has 100 NHL games under his belt probably SHOULD be the best Defenseman in Laval.
I wouldn't.
Mavrick Bourque does not bring anything we don't already have in our organization.
I don't see him displacing anyone in our top six.
He'll be bottom a 6 guy and we need to get bigger stronger players for those roles.
Hughes said it himself he knows what we need to improve on and Mavrick Bourque ain't it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn the Winnipeg pick and damn the Calgary pick time to trade 'em.
No brainer cause they’re both late firsts.

Might as well add to them as a means to secure a pick in a more meaningful strata (say 11-15) or better (not likely).

Reactions: Rozz and themilosh

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I wouldn't.
Mavrick Bourque does not bring anything we don't already have in our organization.
He'll be bottom a 6 guy and we need to get bigger stronger players for those roles.
Hughes said it himself he knows what we need to improve on and Mavrick Bourque ain't it.
He would be a great fit on the right of Dach and Lindstrom/Iginla. We don’t have many dynamic forward in our system

Reactions: Runner77 and Eegs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I wouldn't.
I'm not so sure. I think he'd instantly become one of our best playmakers and could see him slotting in nicely with Dach and Newhook.

I live in Kamloops, so i've follwed Stankoven (ex-Blazer) very closely. Because of this, i've watched a lot of Bourque as well over the past year. He's a very smart player with excellent vision and playmaking skills. Newhook especially would pair well with him imo.

Barron on the other hand, i'm not sure I see a spot for him long term.

I do agree that he very well might not be a player Hughes would key on, and very likely is almost untouchable in Dallas anyhow.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad