Game #39: Kings vs. Predators - 12/28/13 - Regulation Loss, 3-2

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
You want Kopi to be a PPG player? Then you pair him with a decent winger like Carter. Otherwise be content with his stats the way they were and look for team success.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
You want Kopi to be a PPG player? Then you pair him with a decent winger like Carter. Otherwise be content with his stats the way they were and look for team success.

His stats 'the way they were' were elite for the last 7 a nd 1/2 NHL seasons before Carter, because he is an outstanding center who has the ability to create and produce on his own talent.
Kopitar has been almost a PPG throughout his NHL career so far, Carter didn't change that.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
My message was mainly for people that keep saying he is not elite, not PPG and won't ever be. With a decent winger Kopi can go beyond the PPG barrier.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I thought that is what everyone wanted ....Kopitar/Carter.

It's a great idea if you have other elite wingers to support that move, the Kings don't and it's going to cost them in the long run.

For example, (off the top of my head) Toronto has Lupul, Kessel and JVR on their top 6. That's 3 very talented top 6 wingers. So Lupul can play the 2nd line and that gives them scoring threats on both lines, and Bolland on the 3rd isn't bad either.

And making a trade in March depends on the sellers and who they are willing to give up going forward. Buffalo knows that Miller is as good as gone, and will be going at the deadline. They also know that Moulson won't sign there most likely, so they may opt to trade for a goalie and flip Moulson.
Same with the Isles and Vanek. It just depends on the number of teams who know they wont make the playoffs and what moves they are willng to make The Metro division should have 5 teams out of the playoff loop, and GM's lik Snider (who said 2 weeks ago 'changes are coming) who want to upgrade. Those March trade winds will be rolling in...

If DL can't trade, and he is wlling to wait for the summer to sign a FA, they Sutter needs to adjust his lines, because right now, they have 1 top 6 line, not 2.
And it's no surprise that they struggle against fast teams like Dallas, Colorado and Chicago. For me, I'd rather have Carter with Richards because that gives the kings speed (Kopi and Carter) on 2 lines and makes it harder for the opposition to defend. Sutter wants all the speed on 1 line and said so, I don't find that effective with this team because the other lines are lacking.

If DL wants this team to go deep, to have to get past the speed of a Chicago or a Colorado in the playoffs, he needs to upgrade at wing. And that does come at a price but a good GM can accept that.

This team barely beat the Blues and Sharks last year and were outplayed by both for most of the games. The odds are not in their favor of that happening 2 years in a row.

KingKopitar11*

It's a great idea if you have other elite wingers to support that move, the Kings don't and it's going to cost them in the long run.

For example, (off the top of my head) Toronto has Lupul, Kessel and JVR on their top 6. That's 3 very talented top 6 wingers. So Lupul can play the 2nd line and that gives them scoring threats on both lines, and Bolland on the 3rd isn't bad either.

And making a trade in March depends on the sellers and who they are willing to give up going forward. Buffalo knows that Miller is as good as gone, and will be going at the deadline. They also know that Moulson won't sign there most likely, so they may opt to trade for a goalie and flip Moulson.
Same with the Isles and Vanek. It just depends on the number of teams who know they wont make the playoffs and what moves they are willng to make The Metro division should have 5 teams out of the playoff loop, and GM's lik Snider (who said 2 weeks ago 'changes are coming) who want to upgrade. Those March trade winds will be rolling in...

If DL can't trade, and he is wlling to wait for the summer to sign a FA, they Sutter needs to adjust his lines, because right now, they have 1 top 6 line, not 2.
And it's no surprise that they struggle against fast teams like Dallas, Colorado and Chicago. For me, I'd rather have Carter with Richards because that gives the kings speed (Kopi and Carter) on 2 lines and makes it harder for the opposition to defend. Sutter wants all the speed on 1 line and said so, I don't find that effective with this team because the other lines are lacking.

If DL wants this team to go deep, to have to get past the speed of a Chicago or a Colorado in the playoffs, he needs to upgrade at wing. And that does come at a price but a good GM can accept that.

This team barely beat the Blues and Sharks last year and were outplayed by both for most of the games. The odds are not in their favor of that happening 2 years in a row.

Agreed. If This team is going to keep up with the top guns it needs to get some talented forwards real quick.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
My message was mainly for people that keep saying he is not elite, not PPG and won't ever be. With a decent winger Kopi can go beyond the PPG barrier.

As much as I'd like to see that, in today's NHL, esp in the Western Conf. which is heavy on very good defensive teams, that' not gonna happen.
Not many players in today's NHL, not named Crosby, are going to be beyond a PPG. And the one's that get close are usually in the weak East, whose teams (boston aside) have a top heavy focused on O system and not much in the way of defense. That's why the wins and losses per Conf are lopsided for the West .
I agree that Kopi, like any elite center, would be part of a much stronger line with an elite winger.
But until the Kings trade for or sign another elite winger, keeping Carter there isn't effective. It gives them 1 top line that if shut down, by a good D or top team, puts a big burden on the other lines that don't have that talent on wing.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm sure it's been discussed already, but was there a specific reason why Jones didn't start?

I rarely disagree with Sutter, but why not start the guy who has been lights-out all of 1 of his 9 starts? Yeah, Scrivens has been solid, but Jones has been better. I don't get it...

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm sure it's been discussed already, but was there a specific reason why Jones didn't start?

I rarely disagree with Sutter, but why not start the guy who has been lights-out all of 1 of his 9 starts? Yeah, Scrivens has been solid, but Jones has been better. I don't get it...

My guess would be that Quick is about ready to come back, I'd say later this week vs the Blues perhaps.
You can't carry 3 goalies and SCrivens has not played very many games in the last 3 weeks. They need him to get some ice time, going forward, he'll be the backup and needed the game time.
Once Quick comes back, Jones will be back in the AHL where he can play most every game, which he needs in order to continue to grow.
Problem going forward is that you have Quick signed LT and that means Jones won't be a starter. So at some point, he's gonna be trade bait.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
My guess would be that Quick is about ready to come back, I'd say later this week vs the Blues perhaps.
You can't carry 3 goalies and SCrivens has not played very many games in the last 3 weeks. They need him to get some ice time, going forward, he'll be the backup and needed the game time.
Once Quick comes back, Jones will be back in the AHL where he can play most every game, which he needs in order to continue to grow.
Problem going forward is that you have Quick signed LT and that means Jones won't be a starter. So at some point, he's gonna be trade bait.

Ahh yes, makes sense now. I forgot Quick was on this trip.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Jones lost last game. You lose, you're out. I think that's the simple answer.

I expect Jones on Monday.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
sorry, you would be incorrect. you do not take Seth Jones when he's going wide and leave a 3 on 1 for the sole dman. Jones did not have a step on Muzzin, so it was not like he was going to go right by him and go into the slot.

aaaarrrgghhh!! every time I saw Seth Jones I'd think "what's it like to have a #4 actually play on your team and to top it off, play well...!!"

happy place, happy place... :sarcasm:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We may see Quick.

I'd rather see what Jones can do. Quick is 2-6 in his last 8 games against Chicago, with a 3.27 GAA, and a .882 sv%. Little reason to rush him back for a game against the Hawks.

his new contract is going to be brutal and the first true bad contract we have had for a while. At least he is only signed for forever

It looks that way now, but that's because he's having his worst season since his 2nd year. "Is going to be" is a strong phrase. His new contract might be brutal if he keeps producing at his current 15 goal/30 point clip. If he gets back to his normal 25 goal/55 point level, then it's fine.

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
I'd rather see what Jones can do. Quick is 2-6 in his last 8 games against Chicago, with a 3.27 GAA, and a .882 sv%. Little reason to rush him back for a game against the Hawks.

It looks that way now, but that's because he's having his worst season since his 2nd year. "Is going to be" is a strong phrase. His new contract might be brutal if he keeps producing at his current 15 goal/30 point clip. If he gets back to his normal 25 goal/55 point level, then it's fine.

He is a physical player going into his 30s. How many players that play Brown's style get better after their 20s?

This season may be a fluke but he isn't going to get much better than we've seen him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings didn't give him the money to be better than he's been.

Exactly. How much better does anyone expect him to be? I think that money is a reward and exactly how you reward the loyalty of your captain as well as his playing ability.

It's also not fair to pick a time when he's recovering from injury and the lowest production of his career to talk about how much his contract sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: