Game #39: Kings vs. Predators - 12/28/13 - Regulation Loss, 3-2

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
It's not that, if it was a lot of boards and roughings it'd be more understandable.

But the kings are going Paul Bunyan often, tripping, holding. Bad penalties.

Im sure the Kings single handedly made the sales of Bauer skyrocket by the amount they slash.

I still think it comes with the style of play. We're a heavy team that carries quite a few slow guys.

KingKopitar11*

I think it's safe to say Toews makes everyone his *****. He's a great center.

KingKopitar11*

Yup, Toews and Getz are the Best Centers in the West bar none.

I'd say Toews is the best of the west. You never see the guy take a night off. Our centers are pretty Inconsistent with their effort.

I'd probably choose Getzlaf over Toews though.

HolyShot*

Ya ya ya its the goalies fault. I didn't see the game but the team probably played like **** just like they always do vs nashville.

HolyShot*

Yup, Toews and Getz are the Best Centers in the West bar none.

Wow, suck toews some more y don't u. Toews is such a whiny little overrated *****, I'd take pretty much anyone else over him. Getzlaf is good -- that I agree with. But toews being better than kopitar? Come on!

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
King is the only good LW the Kings have....Brown has been a disaster all season so far.

This might be a career worst year for Brown...I guess typical after signing that fat contract.

Guys try to do way too much to justify the pay, when they need to just play the damn game.

We couldn't trade Brown soon enough. What a waste of space on the top 6.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There was only one line that really had any offensive zone pressure and looked strong throughout the game and it was Kopitar's line. All the rest looked insufferable at both ends of the ice.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow, suck toews some more y don't u. Toews is such a whiny little overrated *****, I'd take pretty much anyone else over him. Getzlaf is good -- that I agree with. But toews being better than kopitar? Come on!

He's not wrong. go ahead and look at their head-to-head stats. I love Kopi more than just about anyone and I want to say Toews is overrated but when those two guys go head-to-head Toews just makes him look like absolute trash.

Against just about any other team I take Kopi but when it matter he IS Toews wifey.

Also again just ugh.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm glad my laptop didnt work anymore after 12 minutes into the game. I would have wasted my time around 3AM.

This is no coincidence anymore, this team just dont care all that much vs ''weaker'' teams. Just watch the body language of the Kings players. They are definitely trying, but are awfully sloppy, like they can get away with 2 points with 80% effort. It somewhat understandable if you play 82 games in a season. However teams like Dallas and Nashville are too good for that kind of effort.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sutter just called out Richards for that lazy play.....

As well he should have, Richards should have covered Fisher better. And he is to blame for that goal. But the question that was not asked of Sutter and should have been (LA Kings Insider only posted 4 post game quote from him ) should have centered on the reason the team lost the game. It wasn't Richards play on that goal, it was the ineffective lazy effort by most of the team for 60 minutes.
how come no reporter asked that? What did he think the reason was that the team played so poorly thru 60 and were losing with 2 min left?

They lost because they were losing 2-1 with 2 min left.
They lost because most of the team played poorly for the whole game.
They lost because they only had 18 SOG thru 2
They lost because Sutter's new lines are not effective on a reg basis.
THey lost because currently, they don't have a top 6, they have a top 3 and when that line isn't producing or is shut down, they have nothing else.

Sutter wanted that 'big fast line' and he got it but by putting your 2 best and most dangerous players on the same line , in the Kings case when you have little on LW and too man lower line RW's , is putting all your eggs in one basket.

Keeping AK and JC together, with current lineup, is going to cost this team games, esp against top competition. When Carter and Kopi are on different lines, the opposition has to decide who to throw their best unit and D out to cover. That puts a scoring threat on 2 lines not 1.

When Sutter decided to promote Stoll to 2nd line and demote Richards to the 3rd, he took MR out of the top 6. The top 2 lines are historically, the scoring lines where you put your most productive offensive players. The 3rd line get much less TOI and is a shut down line due to better scoring forwards being utilized on the top 2 lines.

MR has a very talented winger in TT as a linemate, but he's a rookie. It's hard to adjust to the NHL, and even talented players have to make that adjustment. They don't play at the consistent level of a veteran for a reason. They are trying to learn the game at an NHL level on both side of the puck. That comes with time and it's the reason that their 3rd year is their breakout year. And putting TT there, with a black hole on LW is netting a line that won't produce on a reg. basis. MR won't get points like he does playing with Carter, it just won't happen. Sutter knows that and it's the price he's willing to pay to keep his 'big first line ' together.

If MR was playing all these last dozen or so games since the shift with JW and DB, he would be producing. Because he'd have 2 vet players that know where to go and what to do, esp JW. But he's not been given that choice.

It's the price they pay for DL signing both Clifford and Lewis and then knowing the team is weak on LW and heavy on RW, trading for another RW in Frattin because he liked him since college. Sutter doesn't like Frattin he's made that pretty clear by bouncing him from line to line almost every other game or benching him for too many games. For Frattin to be effective, learning to adjust to a new team and system, he should have been given at least 20 to 25 games with the same linemates to form some kind of chemistry or cohesiveness. He's not gotten more than 3 with the same linemates. SUtter just doesn't like him and when he doesn't like a player, it shows. Sutter has his favorites, and Lewis, unfortunately ,is one of them. Lewise is a good defensive player and PK'er but he's not a top 9 player and shouldn't be off the 4th line. I get that Sutter doesn't have a lot to work with on LW until DL makes that March trade but in the meantime, Clifford for the 2 games he played with MR, TT was better, so was Carcillo.

The Kings have been winning because of their defensive, by not allowing goals. They're not winning because of their offense. Sutter is a very stubborn guy and he won't change those lines, and as long as he keeps them as is, this team won't score a lot and will have to continue to depend on keeping the goals allowed under 2 to win.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1