Game #39: Kings vs. Predators - 12/28/13 - Regulation Loss, 3-2

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Stoll doesn't even take a penalty a game. Neither does Muzzin.

Drew Doughty has more PIM then both of those guys....

That was actually Toffoli's first Penalty all year, but that was a really bad one to take, costs his team big time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So has Richards.... I wonder why... I wonder who the left winger on the line is..

I'll agree, Richards has not been playing well either. Piss poor effort/awareness on the GWG tonight. Does Lewis' mere presence on the ice cause Toffoli to take a stupid penalty? Prevent him from getting his shot through to the net? Make his skating look like crap? Just wondering.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sutter's coaching decisions are starting to get tiresome as well. Trevor Lewis is adding exactly nothing positive to the team playing 15 minutes a night while Vey sits down in Manchester, I mean even Frattin would provide more than Lewis. Starting Scrivens over Jones on 4 days rest didn't make sense either, Jones gave up a few bad goals against Dallas but still.

If everyone but Lewis was playing well, people might have more of a leg to stand on with the incessant Lewis talk. He's the definition of a scapegoat.

The Kings fortunes do not rest on Lewis. Talk about the PP that literally wastes half of the PP just getting out of their own zone. That's a far bigger problem than anything Trevor Lewis will ever do or not do.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What is the purpose of Toronto?
Kings got outplayed in the 3rd.

I think most people are missing one of the most blatant and upsetting statistics I keep seeing night in and night out. The opposition has had 2 to 4 more power plays than us every damn night. I see several missed calls and no make up calls. This is on Darryl to get vocal about it. On the Preds last power play Stolls stick was held preventing him from getting to the puck to clear the zone. No call. I'm tired of this s***.

This is starting to bug me too.

Part of it is stupid offensive zone penalties that we take every game, but it's thought-provoking that one of the best puck possession teams in the league can't draw a penalty to save their lives.

Meanwhile, in San Jose...maybe there's something to this whole GM/coach whining thing that works?

Anyway, about this game, meh, you reap what you sow. Shouldn't have been in the position for a goal review vs. in the last minute. Nashville is always content to give us the outside and take away the middle and that was the narrative all night. That, and just like the games at the beginning of the year, the opponent buries the few grade-A chances they get.

We'll see if this is a trend or if they just caught us looking ahead to Chicago. If we were, we damn well better win that game.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
i only got to listen to this as i was driving home from the mountains today....was that last goal as bad as it sounded ? :(

KingKopitar11*

I'll agree, Richards has not been playing well either. Piss poor effort/awareness on the GWG tonight. Does Lewis' mere presence on the ice cause Toffoli to take a stupid penalty? Prevent him from getting his shot through to the net? Make his skating look like crap? Just wondering.

It certainly can, playing with a guy who gets 15 minutes of ice and has one point can certainly make you play bad, I know I wouldn't be that confident in my line if Lewis is on it.

Remember, hockey is a game of confidence and momentum, when you have trash on your wing, you aren't gonna have much of that.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Well, the kings have done a lot worse and Toffoli barely takes penalties.

Not even a good reason to scratch him when there are players like Muzzin/ Stoll who take a penalty every game.

This team severely lacks discipline.

Part of that comes with being a physical team. If we dialed back the physicality we'd give up less penalties but probably leak more goals. Our team thrives on punishing teams. Admittedly not all of our penalties are from gritty plays but it would account for a lot of them.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
i only got to listen to this as i was driving home from the mountains today....was that last goal as bad as it sounded ? :(

Pretty much, the entire team quit after they tied it up.

That next shift was probably close to the most lazy shift all year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Part of that comes with being a physical team. If we dialed back the physicality we'd give up less penalties but probably leak more goals. Our team thrives on punishing teams. Admittedly not all of our penalties are from gritty plays but it would account for a lot of them.

I kind of agree but it seems like most of them are holding/slashing variety. Maybe worth looking up.

Again, the calls on us, I'm meh about. The calls against or lack thereof is a little bit of a wonder. I guess we're too big :laugh:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
No one going to talk about that penalty Toffoli took with three minutes on the clock in the offensive zone ?

That might get the kid scratched next game....

A rookie took his second penalty of the year over the course of 25 games. Does it suck? Absolutely, but this team has a major discipline problem. I'll take Toffoli's 2 penalties in 25 games anytime

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
A rookie took his second penalty of the year over the course of 25 games. Does it suck? Absolutely, but this team has a major discipline problem. I'll take Toffoli's 2 penalties in 25 games anytime

I would too, but the timing.....That is really bad timing, in the offensive zone too.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think King could be quadruple shifted. Funny thing is he's done well on every line. Weird.

King is the only good LW the Kings have....Brown has been a disaster all season so far.

This might be a career worst year for Brown...I guess typical after signing that fat contract.

Guys try to do way too much to justify the pay, when they need to just play the damn game.

KingKopitar11*

It's not that, if it was a lot of boards and roughings it'd be more understandable.

But the kings are going Paul Bunyan often, tripping, holding. Bad penalties.

Im sure the Kings single handedly made the sales of Bauer skyrocket by the amount they slash.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Pretty much, the entire team quit after they tied it up.

That next shift was probably close to the most lazy shift all year.

well that makes me feel a little worse. on the radio it sounded like Scrivens blew an easy save and Fisher just tapped it in. going off of the post game quotes it seems Sutter is blaming MR primarily. this marks two L's for us against Nashville on top of the two heartbreakers against Calgary....:help:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Would this have anything to do with new linemates? Before the change, I thought he was playing real well.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Where u guys getting the post game? Anyways its plain as day it was Richards' weak play. Everyone saw it. I expect Richards to be one of the three stars next game win or lose. He has to be one of the best players on the ice every shift.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't know, Toews always makes Richards/Kopitar his bit%ch...

Last two years Toews has owned them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad