GDT: Game 31: Columbus vs. New Jersey | 12/10 7PM EST

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I think Jack Johnson has the right demeanor for the job....don't get me wrong I love Dubinsky's fire, but he will always lean towards the loose cannon stereotype and you can't have a captain like that. Have you ever heard audio of Dubinsky's "conversations" with referees?

try the 1:10 mark of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46g_hjDeEw

Have you ever played hockey at a high level? First off, that was a linesman, not the ref, that's like yelling at a parking ticket cop compared to a real cop. And second, he was just in a fight and was wound up, that kind of talk to the officials happens all the time, they don't usually have a problem unless you show them up to the crowd.

Johnson doesn't fire the team up or lead them the way young players need to be lead. I've been in rooms with both kinds of captains and Dubi's style works much better with the young guys.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
This person has never provided his opinion on players in game threads, but feels himself rightful to request apologies from the posters who dare to do so. I don't appreciate it to say it lightly.

The only reason to request an apology is if one is attacked personally. A difference of opinion needs no apology. That said, a request does not require a harsh response, either.

None of my business, I suppose.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He **** up 2 nights ago, plain and simple. It happens when you play 82 games a year that your going to have some bad nights, and make some stupid mistakes...but he came back the right way and thats what matters. He put the team on his back tonight, which was a nice break for Joey and Foligno.

Agreed, he shouldn't have slashed at his glove in retaliation for the Pitt guy running his mouth, but 2 min each for unsportsmanlike would have sufficed, that shouldn't have been a 10 min in any way. And arguing after he was essentially already tossed didn't matter. The ref was trying to make up for losing control of the Boston/Pitt game the game before and it being on national TV. He carries the team more often than not, my only point was the board should have given him more respect for being out best player and bringing heart and soul and effort every single game

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Have you ever played hockey at a high level? First off, that was a linesman, not the ref, that's like yelling at a parking ticket cop compared to a real cop. And second, he was just in a fight and was wound up, that kind of talk to the officials happens all the time, they don't usually have a problem unless you show them up to the crowd.

Johnson doesn't fire the team up or lead them the way young players need to be lead. I've been in rooms with both kinds of captains and Dubi's style works much better with the young guys.

I prefer the Sakic type captain over the Messier type..........but I'm not complaining if #11 is leading my team either.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Doesn't change the fact that it was a bad call, the game misconduct was irrelevant after the 10 for a tap on the gloves. The arguing with the ref didn't matter, he wouldn't have been on the ice again anyway from the 10 minute misconduct. Now if we lost in overtime, i could see why everyone attacked him for losing his cool with the ref. saying it was a stupid penalty was enough, but all the "trade him" and "he sucks" and "this is why he isn't a leader or captain" and all the other drivel from the other night was ridiculous and overboard(not that that's shocking from the bi-polar threads on here). you didn't say any of it, so not sure why you are going to battle for people that aren't even regular posters or standing up for themselves, other than you have a personal beef with me...

I posted that regarding Dubi's fitness as a potential captain, not to defend or attack anyone's opinion on the action, penalty, or response in Pittsburgh. I think it's significant that he recognizes his importance to the team and has become aware that he has to restrain his emotions in order to stay on the ice in critical times. He's never been in that position before, so it is probably an awakening. In the past, he's played a secondary role and could rage around the ice as he chose. That's no longer his role, now he's a major contributor and his passion and energy need to be better focused. The quotes I posted lead me to believe he's beginning to understand that.

I believe displaying that new level of maturity adds to his potential for the captaincy. I agree that his passion is in stark contrast to the "cool" of Nash, but he has to be able to control that in order to be effective as a leader.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Bizz, I was trying to be polite when I said apologize. I could have said "would the blowhard who was bashing Cam in the last game thread take a few nights off from commenting" but I did not.

AS for not participating in game threads, well, you see, I AM ACTUALLY PRESENT AT THE GAMES not watching from a computer.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Bizz, I was trying to be polite when I said apologize. I could have said "would the blowhard who was bashing Cam in the last game thread take a few nights off from commenting" but I did not.

AS for not participating in game threads, well, you see, I AM ACTUALLY PRESENT AT THE GAMES not watching from a computer.

Real fans don't make excuses :sarcasm:

bizzz*

lol. As the position gets harder and harder to defend, the arguments become more and more amusing. Using the 24 years of age argument is comical for a guy that has played less than 100 games at this level. I guess every 3 or 4 year college player is going to get a short leash.

Double lol. What position is harder to defend are you talking about? There were quiet a few people who said that Cam was bad recently. That's our opinion. I won't be surprised if you think that Atkinson was great over the last 14 games, looks like you live in your own world where John Moore is a talented kid with flashes of brilliance, Tomas Kubalik is a better prospect than Chaput or Forsberg, and 24 years old forward shouldn't be criticized for bad performance.
Atkinson is a 3 years pro player already . It is really comical to expect him to produce on a regular basis.
Your arguments has always been amusing and I'm not going to spend any more of my time on commenting on them.

So you were trying to be a polite idiot instead of being a rood idiot? Cause you've been an idiot if you think that you have any right to request any apologies. Or your presence at the games gives you a right to do so?
And you're still twisting my words, you still don't get what I actually said. Where did I say about a "few nights off"? Quote that sentence or bring your apologies. Otherwise you will be ignored forever, I despise liars.

Last edited by a moderator:

bizzz*

Bizzz what did you think of Nikitin's play last night?

It didn't look pretty, he caught the puck a couple times, took one bad penalty and another undeserved 2 minutes, but was solid in his own end defensively most of the time and was making right decisions most of the time. And I won't request apologies if someone says that he sucked.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Have you?

I'm interested to hear your hockey playing background. You throw it it out there so much. Very curious.

I've said it twice in 8 years on the board that I can remember, lol...but yes I have. I wasn't in the NHL, but what I mean by high level is organized hockey, not beer leagues at the chiller. But since you asked, I started playing at 5, I'm 40, played in travel and all-star teams throughout my youth, Div 1 high school, Jr. B, College

Last edited:

InauguralCBJFan

Dec 1, 2013
Columbus
I've said it twice in 9 years on the board that I can remember, lol...but yes I have. I wasn't in the NHL, but what I mean by high level is organized hockey, not beer leagues at the chiller. But since you asked, I started playing at 5, I'm 40, played in travel and all-star teams throughout my youth, Div 1 high school, Jr. B, College

Let's not be bashing the Chiller beer league...that's my playing experience :yo::laugh:

Taught myself how to skate a couple years back. Was always a baseball player growing up, but I love being the young guy skating circles around the old farts. :p:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Let's not be bashing the Chiller beer league...that's my playing experience :yo::laugh:

Taught myself how to skate a couple years back. Was always a baseball player growing up, but I love being the young guy skating circles around the old farts. :p:

I love the chiller beer leagues, no issues with them! I was just asking because he seemed to think the language with the ref was so crazy in the video when it really isn't, in any organized league anyway. My high school coach played for Herb Brooks and was a tough guy in the 70's IHL leagues when they brawled non-stop, and you should have heard what he used to say to the refs, haha. A favorite in response to a roughing penalty "C'mon Ricky, your eff'n wife hits you harder than that!" Loved that guy, R.I.P.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Bizz, please do me the honor of ignoring me. Hopefully it will be as easy for you as it is for me to disregard everything you say.

JacketsWin

Nov 30, 2010
Ohio
I did not realize there was free food for this game.... oh well.

I did get to meet and shake the hand of John McConnell who was greeting people throughout the upperbowl (I was in section 213) before the game. It was nice seeing him talk to some of the regular people who come to games.:handclap:

bizzz*

Bizz, please do me the honor of ignoring me. Hopefully it will be as easy for you as it is for me to disregard everything you say.

No problem. Just let me remind that was you who came here with that stupid request after my comment, which you aren't able even to understand. You're not responsible for your own statements and your reading comprehension skills are at the 2nd grade level.
Bye.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Damn, the hostility in this thread... give your heads a shake, folks.

We're still three points out of the last playoff spot. Five teams fighting for the last M spot.

bizzz*

I don't know people how you feel when someone blames you for something you've never done in such pathetic manner.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Either way, we're done with this little tangent. Keep the thread on the topic of the game/the team.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Does consistency come with maturity and age? We saw two very different, albeit hard working teams on Monday and Tuesday.

Also, does anybody notice McElhinney's rebounds? The team is doing a good job of getting to them first, but hopefully he can swallow a few more pucks up.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Does consistency come with maturity and age? We saw two very different, albeit hard working teams on Monday and Tuesday.

Also, does anybody notice McElhinney's rebounds? The team is doing a good job of getting to them first, but hopefully he can swallow a few more pucks up.

It's hard not to notice them. Pucks bounce off of him as if he were a pilates ball. He does a fair job at deflecting them to the right place, but he's not as soft as you'd like for sure. So far it hasn't really bit him. 15 or so more games to go...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad