GDT: Game 31: Columbus vs. New Jersey | 12/10 7PM EST

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No, we're talking about Cam Atkinson. You are right in saying everyone is called worthless here for some reason. Even when Cam isn't scoring he has a value of being there for his forechecking and he sometimes kills penalties. He plays grittier than his size will let him, but he still has a value here when he doesn't score although that is what he should be doing. In no way, aside from some questionable penalties, has Cam ever been harmful to the team, and he's never been worthless.

Yeah Cam is normally a great checker even when he's not scoring, that's what made his struggles in recent weeks so noteworthy -- his checking was bad too. I don't think it was unjustified to say he was hurting the team. Great to see he's back to being a very valuable player.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I find it really amusing that folks really really stick to their guns about certain players, as in guys either can do no wrong or can do nothing right. Sometimes great players do dumb things, sometimes guys are bad for a bit and then great afterwards. Dubi and Cam are great examples. JJ's really played much better in the last few. Tyutin's been worse. Is this so hard?

The ultimate "guy that could do no wrong" was Klesla, I ripped him for years and got bashed, he's in the minors now...

bizzz*

No, we're talking about Cam Atkinson. You are right in saying everyone is called worthless here for some reason. Even when Cam isn't scoring he has a value of being there for his forechecking and he sometimes kills penalties. He plays grittier than his size will let him, but he still has a value here when he doesn't score although that is what he should be doing. In no way, aside from some questionable penalties, has Cam ever been harmful to the team, and he's never been worthless.
Every player his own value. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the team. You can say about every player: "Even when ***** isn't scoring he has a value of being there for his **** and *****". Even about John Moore I could say: "He sucks in his own end, but he skates the puck away nicely and sometimes kills penalties". Following you logic there's no harmful and worthless players cause every one is doing something, otherwise he wouldn't be on the team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The ultimate "guy that could do no wrong" was Klesla, I ripped him for years and got bashed, he's in the minors now...

I could be wrong but I thought Klesla was bashed here for years and years until the playoffs where he beasted.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Funny story I forgot to share from the game.

So, its in the 3rd period before the Devils tied it, I believe it was Anisimov who shot it and it either hit the post or the side of the net. I was so convinced he scored I jumped out of my seat and tried to high five my girlfriend. Meanwhile everyone around me is in that state of kinda sitting kinda not because they didn't know if we scored. I was certain of it though, and my girlfriend is like "If we scored, then why are they still playing? Sit down, you look like an idiot." I reply with when the review shows we scored everyone else will look like idiots, As everyone around me is looking at me like an idiot. I however am still sure we scored and the play finally stopped for the review. Turns out, I was an idiot.

Last edited:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Fun game. Fwiw on free food night we try the items which we have been curious about to see if we'd get them again and pay in future outings. Scorecard: portabello quesadilla, spiced almonds, prime rib sandwich, zebra corn yes. Mozzarella sticks, brats. cake, and that disgusting slab of pig fat on a stick...no. There were a few of us, so we got a variety and each sampled.

I appreciate that perk. And, I'll probably buy a quesadilla at future games.

On topic: I love what Dubi brings to the team, but still believe he's too hotheaded to be our captain. If Richards disagrees, ok by me!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Fun game. Fwiw on free food night we try the items which we have been curious about to see if we'd get them again and pay in future outings. Scorecard: portabello quesadilla, spiced almonds, prime rib sandwich, zebra corn yes. Mozzarella sticks, brats. cake, and that disgusting slab of pig fat on a stick...no. There were a few of us, so we got a variety and each sampled.

Some people have their favorite food and they'll eat it and say it tastes good no matter how crappy it is. Then other people will try to call them on it and we'll end up in a real in-depth conversation about how 'I said the hamburgers at the arena were crappy before anyone else!' Riveting.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It is one thing to say Cam has not played well recently. It is a perfect example of the excessive and silly hyperbole that infects this board to say he has been hurting the team and call for him to be benched. He is playing in his second full season and ups and downs are to be expected. I think he is now second on the team in goal scoring for an offensively challenged team. So, yes, calling for him to be benched is excessive hyperbole.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I'll stand by my observation that reacting to adversity stupidly and emotionally, rather than remaining smart and steady, is the only reason he's not wearing the C.

Dubi acknowledges what we all know to be true:

One night after losing his cool, a contrite Dubinsky – with one goal, three assists – took it out on the Devils.

“I was definitely upset about the way (Monday) ended,†Dubinsky said. “I can’t put my team in that situation. I certainly didn’t agree with the call, but I can’t let guys get under my skin. I can’t take bad penalties like that. I have to understand the situation.

“I’m an emotional guy. But I have to learn to rein it in.â€

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/12/game-31-an-ugly-outburst.html

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Will the person who claimed in the last game thread that was Cam was so bad he was hurting the team please come forward and apologize?

he was good last night...i said the other night that he has been poor, there is nothing wrong with what i said...hopefully last night was the start of him ramping it up

Carolina lost to EDM in OT tonight

dammit...i went to bed at 4-2 EDM...

bizzz*

It is one thing to say Cam has not played well recently. It is a perfect example of the excessive and silly hyperbole that infects this board to say he has been hurting the team and call for him to be benched. He is playing in his second full season and ups and downs are to be expected. I think he is now second on the team in goal scoring for an offensively challenged team. So, yes, calling for him to be benched is excessive hyperbole.

Is that stupidity or bad reading comprehension?
My EXACT quote was: "Injury or fatigue - just sit him. It looked like he held his line back". And I approve every single word of it. The reasoning to sit Cam were a possible injury or fatigue, not what you just listed. Provide exact quote and not just your ailing interpretation of it if you blame someone for something.
On November 14th Cam gift wrapped the win for Boston. Very next game he took stupid penalty, Montreal scored and the Jackets lost because of it. He had 2 goals in 14 games and was harmful (yes, I gonna say it again) for his line offensive game for a long time till last night.
He's in his 2nd full season "only"? He's 24 years old for god's sake! "The kid is developing" argument doesn't work at that age. He has to produce offensively on a regular basis if he wants to stay in this league considering his size. A thousands of bigger and tougher guys can provide forchecking and penalty killing.

So I want you to step up and apologize for your apology request. Or go to ****... somewhere.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Easy, bizzz, no need to go off the deep end. There is no one on this team above criticism and few on the board who have not reacted excessively, at one time or another, especially in a GDT.

The Cam/Dubi/Matty line was cooking, last night, and all three contributed to a much-needed win. Yay!

bizzz*

Easy, bizzz, no need to go off the deep end. There is no one on this team above criticism and few on the board who have not reacted excessively, at one time or another, especially in a GDT.

The Cam/Dubi/Matty line was cooking, last night, and all three contributed to a much-needed win. Yay!

Nikitin unlike Atkinson has never been a reason for any Jackets loss this year, but he was called out by many people when he made a bad play in Edmonton. I couldn't even think of requesting apologies after he scored a couple points including the OT game-winner in the very next game in Calgary.
This person has never provided his opinion on players in game threads, but feels himself rightful to request apologies from the posters who dare to do so. I don't appreciate it to say it lightly.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I could be wrong but I thought Klesla was bashed here for years and years until the playoffs where he beasted.

I will give you that, for 3, maybe 4 playoff games, he was what he should have always been. I honestly don't remember anyone other than me bashing him. He always got a pass for being the first draft pick and back in the day there were a lot of girls on here that loved him. We have since driven all the girl posters away, haha

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Nikitin unlike Atkinson has never been a reason for any Jackets loss this year, but he was called out by many people when he made a bad play in Edmonton. I couldn't even think of requesting apologies after he scored a couple points including the OT game-winner in the very next game in Calgary.
This person has never provided his opinion on players in game threads, but feels himself rightful to request apologies from the posters who dare to do so. I don't appreciate it to say it lightly.

Bizzz what did you think of Nikitin's play last night?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

So, its in the 3rd period before the Devils tied it, I believe it was Anisimov who shot it and it either hit the post or the side of the net. I was so convinced he scored I jumped out of my seat and tried to high five my girlfriend. Meanwhile everyone around me is in that state of kinda sitting kinda not because they didn't know if we scored. I was certain of it though, and my girlfriend is like "If we scored, then why are they still playing? Sit down, you look like an idiot." I reply with when the review shows we scored everyone else will look like idiots, As everyone around me is looking at me like an idiot. I however am still sure we scored and the play finally stopped for the review. Turns out, I was an idiot.

I was watching at home and let out a cheer as well and felt like a silly goose so I tried to take the heat off me by telling my girlfriend how if they score now, before it's reviewed, and the first one was good, that they would go back to the first goal and add time. So you aren't the only idiot, I was watching on a 65 inch HD picture and thought it was in, you can't be faulted for thinking the same in the arena! haha

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

On topic: I love what Dubi brings to the team, but still believe he's too hotheaded to be our captain. If Richards disagrees, ok by me!

After having a cold headed captain for a decade, I'm pretty ok with having some passion and intensity from our captain. I'll take the very few times he loses it for all the good he brings.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

I was watching at home and let out a cheer as well and felt like a silly goose so I tried to take the heat off me by telling my girlfriend how if they score now, before it's reviewed, and the first one was good, that they would go back to the first goal and add time. So you aren't the only idiot, I was watching on a 65 inch HD picture and thought it was in, you can't be faulted for thinking the same in the arena! haha

There were a lot of people that thought it was in. I know I came out my chair.

And I'm not embarrassed or feeling stupid one bit.:yo:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Dubi acknowledges what we all know to be true:

One night after losing his cool, a contrite Dubinsky – with one goal, three assists – took it out on the Devils.

“I was definitely upset about the way (Monday) ended,†Dubinsky said. “I can’t put my team in that situation. I certainly didn’t agree with the call, but I can’t let guys get under my skin. I can’t take bad penalties like that. I have to understand the situation.

“I’m an emotional guy. But I have to learn to rein it in.â€

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/12/game-31-an-ugly-outburst.html

Doesn't change the fact that it was a bad call, the game misconduct was irrelevant after the 10 for a tap on the gloves. The arguing with the ref didn't matter, he wouldn't have been on the ice again anyway from the 10 minute misconduct. Now if we lost in overtime, i could see why everyone attacked him for losing his cool with the ref. saying it was a stupid penalty was enough, but all the "trade him" and "he sucks" and "this is why he isn't a leader or captain" and all the other drivel from the other night was ridiculous and overboard(not that that's shocking from the bi-polar threads on here). you didn't say any of it, so not sure why you are going to battle for people that aren't even regular posters or standing up for themselves, other than you have a personal beef with me...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I think Jack Johnson has the right demeanor for the job....don't get me wrong I love Dubinsky's fire, but he will always lean towards the loose cannon stereotype and you can't have a captain like that. Have you ever heard audio of Dubinsky's "conversations" with referees?

try the 1:10 mark of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46g_hjDeEw

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
lol. As the position gets harder and harder to defend, the arguments become more and more amusing. Using the 24 years of age argument is comical for a guy that has played less than 100 games at this level. I guess every 3 or 4 year college player is going to get a short leash.

In one game we go from under performing to on pace for 40+ points.

There is plenty of work that Atkinson needs to do. But he's hot right now. He's back on pace for 25 goals and he's chipping away at his +/-. As an undersized sixth round pick, it's a minor miracle that he's even playing at this level.

Some people need to calm the hell down, let him develop, and call us again in a couple of years. I expect many roller coasters in this guys career - hopefully less as time goes on. There is no perspective in some of these arguments and it seems like we have a person or two that wants to go down with the sinking ship.

He is going to make some bad plays at key times. But all players do that. The frequency of those bad plays should diminish as time goes on.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I think it was blown out of proportion, the Pitt guy was running his mouth and Dubi gave him a tap, should have been a 2 minute penalty but the ref wanted to flex his muscle because he lost control the game before. He didn't deserve the entire board jumping him like that, everyone loses it a little. I'll take that fire over the weak leadership we've had for a decade

He **** up 2 nights ago, plain and simple (he said so himself). It happens when you play 82 games a year that you're going to have some bad nights, and make some stupid mistakes...but he came back the right way and that's what matters. He put the team on his back tonight, which was a nice break for Joey and Foligno.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad