GDT: Game 3: Columbus vs. Chicago 10/21 7PM

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Provorov. How did you end up with Provab? Personally I wanted to call him Provo-cop because he is like a machine. We made the right call having Werenski ranked 4th that draft, ahead of Provorov? It sure looks that way now.

I was expecting we'd get the Werenski comparable tonight but it looks like Torts doesn't want him on the top pair against Chicago. So it's not going to be a direct comparison with Provorov - who had to go top pair against them alongside Streit.

I svck with names and don't have the patience to look them up. Any way at this point looks like we made the right call on Werenski. #GoJackets

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
CBJ finish the first period with 17 shots. Finish the game with 28. Not exactly inspiring confidence in the 2nd and 3rd period.

Think about this for just a minute.......the Chicago Blackhawks have a higher Power Play success rate for the season than their Penalty Kill success rate. It was close before tonight's game began, now they are there. Coach Q has to be slitting his wrist.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I wasnt conventional wisdom when I said the same thing when we were 0-2 and people we jumping off the cliff.

Maybe I'm not understanding, Lee (you know me!), but "won't win most nights" seems like the conventional wisdom. I guess you're referring to the "fun to watch" part?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I didn't see it that way. Maybe the stats say differently. I saw us shooting the puck and attacking the net for the first half of the game. For the last 25 minutes, too much absorbing the game and, when we did have puck, trying to make the perfect play again. But that first half of the game was really something!

This is the only part I don't agree with. They looked to me like they were dumping it out, icing it, whatever to get the puck away from our zone. I'd take more controlled passing, if anything.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I didn't see it that way. Maybe the stats say differently. I saw us shooting the puck and attacking the net for the first half of the game. For the last 25 minutes, too much absorbing the game and, when we did have puck, trying to make the perfect play again. But that first half of the game was really something!

We definitely carried the play. We were all over them. Then, like we always do, we tried to not lose the game.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
don't get it. Bjorkstand was on the ice for all 3 goals and was a part of 2 them.

I don't think Bjork is playing well. He's not feeling the puck, all three games.

He has been on the first powerplay unit all 3 games, which has been on fire, mostly thanks to Werenski, Wennberg, and Foligno. And Bjorkstrand has barely touched the puck the entire time.

Interestingly, those 4 and Atkinson all played 1:12 on the powerplay. No one else got any powerplay time, because the first unit buried it right away.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I don't think Bjork is playing well. He's not feeling the puck, all three games.

He has been on the first powerplay unit all 3 games, which has been on fire, mostly thanks to Werenski, Wennberg, and Foligno. And Bjorkstrand has barely touched the puck the entire time.

Interestingly, those 4 and Atkinson all played 1:12 on the powerplay. No one else got any powerplay time, because the first unit buried it right away.

Same.

He looks timid.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I knew they'd win their first one when I couldn't watch....but darned happy they did.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Agreed, Bjork hasn't played well....But I don't know if its fair to send him down right now. I mean, its three games into the season and we just had basically a week off.

Oh well, Milano earned a spot on the team in camp anyway IMO.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Agreed, Bjork hasn't played well....But I don't know if its fair to send him down right now. I mean, its three games into the season and we just had basically a week off.

Oh well, Milano earned a spot on the team in camp anyway IMO.

Yeah, if it's a season where we're seasoning the youth, fairness to Bjork can be weighed against fairness to Sonny, if he had a good camp.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If I'm reading the stat sheet right, Bjork and Hartnell are the two forwards with the least amount of shots of goal (2 shots in 3 games) on the team.

Milano certainly has no hesitation to shoot the puck.So maybe that's the logic at play here?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If I'm reading the stat sheet right, Bjork and Hartnell are the two forwards with the least amount of shots of goal (2 shots in 3 games) on the team.

Milano certainly has no hesitation to shoot the puck.So maybe that's the logic at play here?

Naw, Bjork shoots. It's just getting blocked and tipped away. He's not quite quick enough right now. He's got to get hot - and I don't think Cleveland is a bad place to do that.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

In all 3 games I've only really even noticed Hartnell when he's taking a trip to the box or going back to the bench.

Trying hard to not think he's slowing down major this year...

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
In all 3 games I've only really even noticed Hartnell when he's taking a trip to the box or going back to the bench.

Hartnell was streaky last year as well. He started off hot, cooled down, then had a really hot March and then cooled down again.

So far he has two points in three games and is an even player. I'm not too concerned quite yet.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

He looked good on this play (last goal of the Sharks game).

Motored in with a pissed off expression. Kind of like, for ****s sakes we're better than this. It had to help the team confidence a tiny bit going into the break.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Apart from Bob, the main reason the team won this game despite the last 25 minutes being played entirely in their defensive zone was Seth Jones. Chicago was able to get off a lot of shots in that third period, but the vast majority were from the perimeter, because Jones wasn't letting anyone get in front of the net. Just about everyone was at least pretty good, but Jones' play down that final stretch was huge, especially with Murray out. And I don't think I saw Nutivaara out there for more than a couple shifts in the third period either.

Also, Karlsson won 13 of 18 faceoffs. That was a better percentage than any center except Sedlak, who only took four (but won three).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Huge win for the CBJ.

Though they'd never admit it publicly, a fear of "its deja vu all over again" was there. Beating Chicago has got to give these guys a much needed dose of self confidence.

A victory tonight against Dallas would be another boost for this team. Going out on the western portion of this road swing at .500 would give this team a better sense of normalcy as opposed to having its back up against the wall just 4 games into the season.

It would be nice if Dubinsky and Jenner get off of the schneid tonight. If these two don't get going, it's going to be awfully hard for this team to be competitive.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Missed the game due to moving but it sounds like it was a good one. Hopefully will get to watch tonight's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad