GDT: Game 3: Columbus vs. Chicago 10/21 7PM

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
It wasn't a hit. You could have called it tripping

Was it a result of Calvert trying to avoid him as it is a goalie? I think a player should be allowed to deck a goalie in that instance. You want to play the puck outside your crease? You're a normal part of play then, no free passes.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Was it a result of Calvert trying to avoid him as it is a goalie? I think a player should be allowed to deck a goalie in that instance. You want to play the puck outside your crease? You're a normal part of play then, no free passes.

Hell, they're wearing more padding that anyone else on the ice.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I like this team. Nick and Bob look ready to reclaim their place, Matty is Matty, God love im, Werenski and Jones bring something very new and exciting. Also feeling good about the 4th line. And Wild Bill is a sleeper.

Get Murray back and Boone's head on straight, I don't know. Oughta be a fun season.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I like this team. Nick and Bob look ready to reclaim their place, Matty is Matty, God love im, Werenski and Jones bring something very new and exciting. Also feeling good about the 4th line. And Wild Bill is a sleeper.

Get Murray back and Boone's head on straight, I don't know. Oughta be a fun season.

They won't win most nights, but they're a fun team to watch

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So happy for a win.

But that third period* was hell to watch. I hate it when they try to defend a lead for that long by turtling up. When they are in the D zone it doesn't matter how smart they play (and they did defend well), bad bounces happen. We need to get an offensive zone cycle to run the clock.

Edit: Period, not pairing. Stupid autotext.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So happy for a win.

But that third pairing was hell to watch. I hate it when they try to defend a lead for that long by turtling up. When they are in the D zone out doesn't matter how smart they play (and they did defend well), bad bounces happen. We need to get an offensive zone cycle to run the clock.

Puck possession is not our strong suit. So yes, definitely an area of needed improvement.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Puck possession is not our strong suit. So yes, definitely an area of needed improvement.

It was in the first half of the game. They carried the play against one of the best possession teams. Then deliberately went for a dump-out turtle-up counter-attack game from then on.

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
Went to the bathroom when that shift was going on. Came back and the shift was still going on. Took the trash out and came back. Shift was still going on. Hard-boiled an egg. Shift was still going on.
If you took all the Fs out of this paragraph it'd be a lot different.

:laugh:

Well sometimes nature's calls are long too. Which reminds me of a funny quip from a buddy of mine when he came back from taking a number two in an outhouse at another friends summer cottage: "That was like The Hobbit. And I don't mean that in the middle of the sitting 13 dwarves barged in (the outhouse) to have a feast. I mean that like the movie trilogy, it came in three needlessly long parts which kept getting worse toward the end."

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Maybe I have to watch it again, but on the angle I saw Calvert had plenty of time to miss him and just left his leg out. It looked like a dumb play on his part.

I got to say though, another great game overall from Calvert.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Refs swallowed their whistles all game until Matty hits the Crawford. I used to get pummeled when I left the crease. The guys have 5x the padding and are untouchable. Great win, very good first and second periods too cautious in the third.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Maybe I have to watch it again, but on the angle I saw Calvert had plenty of time to miss him and just left his leg out. It looked like a dumb play on his part.

I got to say though, another great game overall from Calvert.

His conditioning sure is impressive.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
A wins a win... but that was ugly betty time!!! Holy schitt left holding your breath for about 7 1/2 minutes there. I saw desperation on our side / but I saw some heart too. Anderson was on the ice and he was decking people. Love that. Our young guys haven't froze up yet, i know it's Patrick Kane and Jon Toews but they did ok tonight!!
:handclap::handclap::handclap:

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It was in the first half of the game. They carried the play against one of the best possession teams. Then deliberately went for a dump-out turtle-up counter-attack game from then on.

I didn't see it that way. Maybe the stats say differently. I saw us shooting the puck and attacking the net for the first half of the game. For the last 25 minutes, too much absorbing the game and, when we did have puck, trying to make the perfect play again. But that first half of the game was really something!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
They won't win most nights, but they're a fun team to watch

Meh, conventional wisdom. We'll see. Bob and the captain look strong.

Yeah, to so many posts here lately, it did get desperate. But they were playing 6 on 4 for a good stretch, then 6 on 5 to bring it home. Ain't gonna look pretty. But at some point, when they came out of the turtle, I stopped feeling so tense. They got it decently under control well before the final horn

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Meh, conventional wisdom. We'll see. Bob and the captain look strong.

Yeah, to so many posts here lately, it did get desperate. But they were playing 6 on 4 for a good stretch, then 6 on 5 to bring it home. Ain't gonna look pretty. But at some point, when they came out of the turtle, I stopped feeling so tense. They got it decently under control well before the final horn

I wasnt conventional wisdom when I said the same thing when we were 0-2 and people we jumping off the cliff.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If this young team could get on a winning streak early, the boost in confidence would overcome much of the shortage in top tier talent.
ADDITION: db, if you're wondering how that squares with my "conventional wisdom," it's that I don't think a long winning streak with the upcoming schedule is a realistic expectation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This post is boring - because most guys were just good.

Saad - Wennberg - Foligno
Foligno is looking great out there. Lots of good defensive plays, drawing penalties, etc... Saad is so dangerous. Good start to the game for all of these guys. But they did their damage on the powerplay. I'd like to see more cycle plays 5 on 5. They can be better.

Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
A much better game possession-wise for these guys. Calvert was beating defenders one on one. If Dubi and Atkinson weren't cold you'd have to think they'd bury one of the chances he created.

Jenner - Sedlak - Bjorkstrand
Sedlak looked the best of the bunch. Great set up to Saad in the first. Bjorkstrand was bobbling it again. Not sure if this is just a streaky sniper thing or what. Jenner had some bad luck and got beat to the net.

Hartnell - Karlsson - Anderson
The other two guys got on the scoresheet, but I was most impressed by Anderson. Great net drive by Anderson. Love that guy.

Werenski - Jones
Mixed at evens, Werenski killed it on the powerplay, of course

Johnson - Savard
I'm just glad Savvy had a good game. He's better than we've seen this year. Great shot-pass to Karlsson.

Nutivaara
He wasn't terrible but if he's just going to be playing like this, why don't we go with Golo and let Nuti get more minutes (and less pressure) in Cleveland?

Great game Bob.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hartnell - Karlsson - Anderson
The other two guys got on the scoresheet, but I was most impressed by Anderson. Great net drive by Anderson. Love that guy.

I like this 4th line combination. Hartnell helps young guys play better, but at this point in his career, 3rd or 4th line is a good level of play for him. Karlsson can really skate and Anderson can pump up the energy with his speed and physical play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad