Post-Game Talk: Game 29 - Bruins now have lost eleven in a row to Caps - Washington 5 BRUINS 3 F

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Overall I thought the Bruins were the better team from the start of the 2nd period onward. But between freakin' Holtby and the goal-posts it wasn't to be.

A few other thoughts.

I thought collectively as a group, one of the worst games we seen from the young players this season. Gryz and Debrusk getting burned bad on the Vrana goal. Carlo wasn't good. Bjork invisible. Heinen didn't do much of anything even though he picked up secondary 2 assists. McAvoy with 2 minors, got beat with speed a couple of times. That's going to happen sometimes.

The 4th line did a good job maintaining forechecking pressure in the offensive zone. I thought it was one of the 4th lines better games.

I'm over Heinen-Nash-Backes, and Krejci and Bjork don't work well together. I thought last night was a chance to switch things up a bit, I would of moved Bjork down with Heinen-Nash and Backes up with Debrusk-Krejci. Hope Cehlarik is back soon and stays in Boston. Of all the players I've seen with Krejci, he's had the best chemistry IMO. His short one-touch passing game works well on the cycle with Krejci.

I get what Cassidy is trying to do by moving McAvoy down with Gryz and Miller up with Chara so he can be the D up against OV most of the time, but I thought it was over-coaching and he should of left his pairs alone.

Wilson is a dirt-bag, so is Orpik. Between their streak, and their dirty play, they've taken up 2nd place on my most hated team list, still miles behind the disgusting Habs.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bruins played well enough to win but got exploited on chances, Carlo had a really rough night

This was a game where you can truly say "we didn't get the bounces" that and rookie dmen are going to have trouble against teams that have ovechkin on their roster

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Carlo had a rough night. Can't get on Gryz too much for that Vrana goal. If Gryz starts burrying some of his chances, watch out! Kid transitions like Colin Miller and defends much better than Krug. Don't think he has the shot tho.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Carlo had a rough night. Can't get on Gryz too much for that Vrana goal. If Gryz starts burrying some of his chances, watch out! Kid transitions like Colin Miller and defends much better than Krug. Don't think he has the shot tho.

I kind of thought Debrusk should of closed in quicker from his side forcing him towards Grizz but cant find to much fault because at least he was back covering. He's going to a super all-around player love his commitment!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
so bloody tired of losing to this team. Hate the moral victory stuff but I thought the B`s were, by a fairly wide margin, the better of teams last night but still, means zippo if you can`t convert your opportunities.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I kind of thought Debrusk should of closed in quicker from his side forcing him towards Grizz but cant find to much fault because at least he was back covering. He's going to a super all-around player love his commitment!

almost looked like neither of the D there (think it was Charlie back there with him?) didn`t anticipate how explosive Vrana is and he blew by them in a heartbeat

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Overall I thought the Bruins were the better team from the start of the 2nd period onward. But between freakin' Holtby and the goal-posts it wasn't to be.

A few other thoughts.

I thought collectively as a group, one of the worst games we seen from the young players this season. Gryz and Debrusk getting burned bad on the Vrana goal. Carlo wasn't good. Bjork invisible. Heinen didn't do much of anything even though he picked up secondary 2 assists. McAvoy with 2 minors, got beat with speed a couple of times. That's going to happen sometimes.

The 4th line did a good job maintaining forechecking pressure in the offensive zone. I thought it was one of the 4th lines better games.

I'm over Heinen-Nash-Backes, and Krejci and Bjork don't work well together. I thought last night was a chance to switch things up a bit, I would of moved Bjork down with Heinen-Nash and Backes up with Debrusk-Krejci. Hope Cehlarik is back soon and stays in Boston. Of all the players I've seen with Krejci, he's had the best chemistry IMO. His short one-touch passing game works well on the cycle with Krejci.

I get what Cassidy is trying to do by moving McAvoy down with Gryz and Miller up with Chara so he can be the D up against OV most of the time, but I thought it was over-coaching and he should of left his pairs alone.

Wilson is a dirt-bag, so is Orpik. Between their streak, and their dirty play, they've taken up 2nd place on my most hated team list, still miles behind the disgusting Habs.
Im still hoping for a cehlarik-krejci-pasta reunion and that way you can get bjork back on the first line where he was starting to gel at the beginning of the year. plus it would make him less of a liability on the defensive side of things

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
almost looked like neither of the D there (think it was Charlie back there with him?) didn`t anticipate how explosive Vrana is and he blew by them in a heartbeat

I was sitting in section 18 row 2 right be hind Doby (you can see my son in seat #1 w/ a santa hat on) and as soon as soon as Charlie got (legally) picked by Ovechkin coming across I knew they were in trouble. He had too much speed and reach for MG to handle, and DeBrusk, who was covering for CM, ended up transitioning from forward to backwards to his right, taking him away from the middle. Vrana took no time to get his shot off, either.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Seriously, what kind of voodoo black magic curse has Holtby put up on the B's that has them NEVER getting the better of him??!

Whatever it is, I hate it.

I was thinking the same thing last night.

wilson should have gotten 5 and a game for jumping in like that.

I would've settled for a 2 minute penalty, but I guess the refs didn't see it.:huh:

If that was a Bruin's player pulling an opponent away, you can bet the farm there would've been a penalty called.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It was Debrusk on the other side of Vrana, who was back covering for McAvoy.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I’m pretty happy with their effort last night. Some glaring mistakes ultimately cost them the game. Dobby played very well and gave them a chance throughout. I think it was one of the toughest games for the young guns. The reality is that’s going to happen sometimes. Reffing was poor and inconsistent. Holtby continues to terrorize this team, we must be his favourite opponent. I expected a loss but I’m encouraged how they look overall.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Good effort in 2nd of back to back against rested Capitals

I thought the Bruins got very good play out of their centers. Krejci had an excellent game.

4th line played well...created problems for Washington.

Penalty kill was excellent in the 1st period against a deadly PP.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Bad game, but I'd like to mention that Wilson was completely neutered by Chara grabbing him on the first shift and explaining what would happen if he started running around. Nothing makes a mad dog docile like an even bigger dog calling him out. Aside from jumping Marshy, Wilson was practically tiptoeing around our stars.

And who says fighting and intimidation has no place in the game?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Bad game, but I'd like to mention that Wilson was completely neutered by Chara grabbing him on the first shift and explaining what would happen if he started running around. Nothing makes a mad dog docile like an even bigger dog calling him out. Aside from jumping Marshy, Wilson was practically tiptoeing around our stars.

Good point....I totally agree!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I'm guessing people that have either never played it or played only low levels. I would think a hockey team works like any group of 20 guys.

Think of 20 of you friends. You will have a bunch who like to start shit, don't mind starting shit, stay neutral, and are flat out petrified of it.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

A few other thoughts.

Once Wilson grabbed 63 and he hit his helmet-less head into the boards (post concussion) I was looking for KM to respond - if I remember correctly he was right there. Not sure why he didn't.

Reactions: Strafer

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Glad you mentioned Chara. I was going to post it last night but ended up going right to bed after the game. Wilson was running scared from then drop of the puck and was a complete non factor.

I wish guys would make Chara angry more often

Reactions: Bruinaura

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Overall I liked the effort level. However, that second line cant happen again. Krejci / DeBrusk / Bjork is not an NHL line yet. They're TERRIBLE in their own end. Don't mind them in the offensive zone, but after Bjork was benched the first time for his poor play in the defensive zone he got one shift I think again with that line and they were hemmed in their own zone the whole shift and ended up being scored on (not all Bjork's fault by the way he just took the heat from Cassidy, DeBrusk was lost so much as well). Then he didnt play again (could be wrong but it was basically that as far as I saw).

Anyways, with the kids we all knew that there would be inconsistencies, ups and downs etc. I don't mind going through them but that 2nd line isnt working and I dont think these kids are gonna all of a sudden develop the 200ft game over night. That takes time and practice. So we need new lines imo.

Marchand Bergy Pasta
Heinen Krejci Backes
Schaller Nash Acciari
DeBrusk Kuraly Bjork (super sheltered)

I think to compete, we will need to add a decent top 6 forward with some finish and experience (ala a Simmonds type). That will push the kids down a little in responsibility and give us more depth in case of injuries that are sure to happen.

Go into playoffs looking like this:

Marchand Bergy Pasta
Simmonds (or a player similar) Krejci Heinen
Acciari Nash Backes
Schaller Kuraly DeBrusk/Vatrano/Bjork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad