GDT: Game 21 Columbus at Edmonton 11/19 9:30 PM EST

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
If you could, respond in such a way that you recognize that I wasn't calling Dubinsky "The problem". It gets tiresome trying to defend things that I didn't say; hell I didn't even imply.

Seriously though can we agree to remove from everyone's vocabulary the phrase "the problem"? It's a team game, there are problems - not a singular problem that can be fixed by finding that needle in the haystack.

The theme of my posts on this game are "**** happens" and "Don't overreact". There is no reason to rush to his defense.

This isn't his first "off night" since we acquired him. But it was his worst game that I can remember. I only mentioned it because it's a rarity coming from him.

Didn't mean to single your post out. Agree though, there in no one singular problem. If there was it would have been dealt with now. I just don't think anyone including the coaching staff knows what's wrong at this point. They certainly aren't pulling the rope in the same direction.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
In: Spencer Machacek, Matthew Ford (no longer with organization), Blake Comeau, Michael Leighton, 2015 3rd-round pick, Patrick Killeen, Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle (no longer with organization), Blake Parlett, Ilari Melart, Mike McKenna, Nathan Horton, Frederic St Denis, Patrick McNeill, Jack Skille,

Out: Tomas Kubalik, 2013 5th-round pick (#135, Eric Roy), Steve Mason, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, Derick Brassard, Allen York, Colton Gillies, Ted/Theo Ruth, Drew Olson, Adrian Aucoin, Ryan Russell, Vinny Prospal, Nick Drazenovic, Nick Holden

At the NHL level, that's Gaborik, Horton, Skille, and Comeau in. Out are Mason, Dorsett, Moore, and Brassard.

Um. I think Prospal plays at the NHL level....

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
So what you are saying is that you accept laziness as an excuse to falsely accuse?

In the time its taken you to try and justify your stance, you could have been precise in your opening post. It is actually easy to say "With a few exceptions, the team didn't show much heart.". It's also easy to say "You know it's a bad night when your fourth line is your best line, by a mile, and only had a couple of good scoring opportunities".

I would say that I'm sorry to call people out for generalizations, but I'm not.

Now I know better than to generalize and next time I will always be 100% accurate in anything I say so as to not upset great message board referee of the sky blahblah.

More likely I'll just keep generalizing because yes, it's easier, and it's far more fun. They lost 7-0 to one of the worst teams in the NHL due to a lack of effort. Some people cared, others didn't, a guy on a message board got upset because I didn't give the fourth liners enough credit. Life is weird.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Um. I think Prospal plays at the NHL level....

Not anymore...can you imagine how slow Vinny would have looked in that game last night with those Edm guys tearing ass around there? He would have seemed like a pilon. Maybe he could have yelled at the faster guys on the team to, "go faster team!" and then point to the scoreboard...

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
But Prospal would have made the rest of the Blue Jackets look faster. That's the veteran leadership we are missing.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Now I know better than to generalize and next time I will always be 100% accurate in anything I say so as to not upset great message board referee of the sky blahblah.

More likely I'll just keep generalizing because yes, it's easier, and it's far more fun. They lost 7-0 to one of the worst teams in the NHL due to a lack of effort. Some people cared, others didn't, a guy on a message board got upset because I didn't give the fourth liners enough credit. Life is weird.

And here we go. Demonize someone who challenges your position and turn it around on them. Typical.

It's hard to find people with actual debate skills these days. I need to search YouTube for a clip from How I Met Your Mother. You fit the generalization of being an American perfectly. That would work great, because then I could be lazy in the spirit of "being easy and fun".

No, there were obviously team members that cared. There were team members that were playing hard. There were (easy) ways to get your position across without lumping the entire team into the same category. You haven't really disagreed with any of that, you've simply stated "It was far more fun and easier" to just bash the entire team. Since I proved the easy part wrong in another post, I guess we'll just go with fun eh?

I will give you this, you have no issue with transparency.

To your great relief you won't have to deal with it anymore.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
But Prospal would have made the rest of the Blue Jackets look faster. That's the veteran leadership we are missing.

What makes this funny is that he probably would have looked like one of the fastest Jackets last night. At least top 5 or 6.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Don't try to analyze last night's game. Just walk away from it and focus on tonight.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Don't try to analyze last night's game. Just walk away from it and focus on tonight.

Exactly. Sometimes a team just defies logic by how well, or how poorly, they perform. As embarrassing as it is, I know they're also capable of playing as they did against Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, etc. If yesterday's becomes the norm, then I'll start worrying about it as some systemic issue that needs excised.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

It's not that you didn't give them enough credit, you discredited them. There's a big difference between not noticing something and slander.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Exactly. Sometimes a team just defies logic by how well, or how poorly, they perform. As embarrassing as it is, I know they're also capable of playing as they did against Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, etc. If yesterday's becomes the norm, then I'll start worrying about it as some systemic issue that needs excised.

I third. I watched that whole brutal game last night trying to figure something out about this team, but there might be nothing worth figuring out, if they turn it around tonight like it didn't happen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can't help it. I'm going through all the Edmonton goals from last night looking for breakdowns.

Goal 1 - Nikitin slow to cover Eberle.
Goal 2 - Bob didn't realize it was under him and dove away from it (not seeing the puck)
Goal 3 - No scapegoat, Edmonton genius.
Goal 4 - Bob didn't cover his post well enough on Perron's snipe.
Goal 5 - Wiz turnover
Goal 6 - 3 on 2 immediately off the draw. Arty was Center and should have been back but just floated back.
Goal 7 - Hall breakaway, he was cleanly behind Wiz and Murray.

A lot of this is on Bob, and a couple early mistakes. Yes we were thoroughly outplayed last night so there is more blame to go around than this, but if we didn't make these mistakes we would have kept it close and who knows what would have happened. Teams often have bad periods, and if they keep the score close they can come back to win, but when the goals go in in bunches there's no hope.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I can't help it. I'm going through all the Edmonton goals from last night looking for breakdowns.

Goal 1 - Nikitin slow to cover Eberle.
Goal 2 - Bob didn't realize it was under him and dove away from it (not seeing the puck)
Goal 3 - No scapegoat, Edmonton genius.
Goal 4 - Bob didn't cover his post well enough on Perron's snipe.
Goal 5 - Wiz turnover
Goal 6 - 3 on 2 immediately off the draw. Arty was Center and should have been back but just floated back.
Goal 7 - Hall breakaway, he was cleanly behind Wiz and Murray.

A lot of this is on Bob, and a couple early mistakes. Yes we were thoroughly outplayed last night so there is more blame to go around than this, but if we didn't make these mistakes we would have kept it close and who knows what would have happened. Teams often have bad periods, and if they keep the score close they can come back to win, but when the goals go in in bunches there's no hope.

I've got to give you credit, your optimism is off the charts. Good for you. I just don't have the will to commit after years and years of the same crap.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
And here we go. Demonize someone who challenges your position and turn it around on them. Typical.

If I demonized you it was only for taking what I posted too seriously.

It's hard to find people with actual debate skills these days. I need to search YouTube for a clip from How I Met Your Mother. You fit the generalization of being an American perfectly. That would work great, because then I could be lazy in the spirit of "being easy and fun".

What? This is a message board. It's supposed to be easy and fun. I work very hard and long hours at my job. When I'm on a message board though I don't feel the need to spend a lot of time carefully crafting posts.

No, there were obviously team members that cared. There were team members that were playing hard. There were (easy) ways to get your position across without lumping the entire team into the same category. You haven't really disagreed with any of that, you've simply stated "It was far more fun and easier" to just bash the entire team. Since I proved the easy part wrong in another post, I guess we'll just go with fun eh?

I said "nobody cared and nobody cared that nobody cared". Of course that's not true, but I stand by it because it's how I felt the team looked and I was using hyperbole to state a position. When I say a goaltender is "Standing on his head" or "they look like they're skating in mud" I don't mean those things literally either.

I didn't realize my hfboards post would be this heavily scrutinized. If I had known I would've chosen my words more carefully, because now I know I'll get called out for not being 100% truthful and fair.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

It's not that you didn't give them enough credit, you discredited them. There's a big difference between not noticing something and slander.

Seriously? This is the best we've got? Nitpicking a post dripping with hyperbole? Last night's game sucked and yes some might want to do an in-depth analysis but some might want to look at a 7-0 beat-down and just say 'damn that totally sucked.' I don't think it lowers the quality of discussion.

And no, nitpicking is not a rules violation and this isn't some mod crackdown. Lord knows I discourage poor quality posting when appropriate.

For now I think it's best to leave this line of discussion be.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
What? This is a message board. It's supposed to be easy and fun. I work very hard and long hours at my job. When I'm on a message board though I don't feel the need to spend a lot of time carefully crafting posts.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

It's just as hard to enjoy this place as it is to watch the Blue Jackets these days.

Paisano*

In: Spencer Machacek, Matthew Ford (no longer with organization), Blake Comeau, Michael Leighton, 2015 3rd-round pick, Patrick Killeen, Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle (no longer with organization), Blake Parlett, Ilari Melart, Mike McKenna, Nathan Horton, Frederic St Denis, Patrick McNeill, Jack Skille,

Out: Tomas Kubalik, 2013 5th-round pick (#135, Eric Roy), Steve Mason, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, Derick Brassard, Allen York, Colton Gillies, Ted/Theo Ruth, Drew Olson, Adrian Aucoin, Ryan Russell, Vinny Prospal, Nick Drazenovic, Nick Holden

At the NHL level, that's Gaborik, Horton, Skille, and Comeau in. Out are Mason, Dorsett, Moore, and Brassard.

OK forgot about Comeau. Skille hasn't really been here, so yea that's basically Howsons team still playing out there. Can't count the minor leaguers or prospects yet, those must be the bricks we are waiting for. They were great last year as long as we had a hot goaltender, when he tanks, the team tanks....where have we seen that before?

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
OK forgot about Comeau. Skille hasn't really been here, so yea that's basically Howsons team still playing out there. Can't count the minor leaguers or prospects yet, those must be the bricks we are waiting for. They were great last year as long as we had a hot goaltender, when he tanks, the team tanks....where have we seen that before?

Philly? :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Edmonton has now scored 14 straight goals without giving up one, over the last 6 periods. (a record?) Unfortunately we were the middle 7 goals.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
So what about the Murray/Yakupov showdown? I'd still take Murray over Nail, and no knocks on Murray last night, but- Yakupov had a very good game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad