GDT: Game 21: Columbus at Chicago | 3/1 8:30 PM EST

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thoughts after game:

While watching the game it dawned on me that while we were missing JJ,Wiz,Dubi,Brassard & Moore I didn't really notice it. So are they really that important or are the other guys just as good?

Mason is better than Bob this season.

If we were going to lose why not in regulation?

They are difficult to play against for 57 or so minutes a game the other 3 or so is where it all goes to hell. That is the problem when success is based on hard work and effort-very tough to be 100% for 60 minutes.

Chicago announcers are so much better than ours.

Emotions during game

:):laugh::handclap::cry::nod::yo::help::rant: :amazed::(:D:thumbu::bow::huh::hockey:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
You're new around here JDavid, so let me clue you in to my longstanding POV:

1. Good goalies help struggling teams.
2. Save their bacon from time to time.
3. And inspire those around them to play better.

Mason has done none of those things at anywhere approaching our need.
This is not his fault.
It is the fault of XGMSH.
Several of us having been saying this FOR YEARS UP HERE.
Our posts have context and history which is not always apparent to newcomers.

Who was the last Jacket goalie that stole games? Maybe Tugger? Denis was the first one to have photos with beach balls sailing over his shoulder during the game and "soft goal" was tossed around. Then Pascal broke down (despite many who insisted early on that he wasn't injury prone), then Mason was a gog for that one glorious season. So you mind telling me who these game stealing goalies that the CBJ have had in the past? Love to hear about these mythical goalies that stopped 30+ shots a game and led uis to the playoffs as our offense feverishly scored 2.5 goals a game, and our defense failed to slow anyone down (exception was Hitchcock years).

We don't prevent shots on goal, we don't score goals, so I don't care who our goalie is that doesn't translate to wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Seems kind of bush league if JD and JK don't at least offer VP a deal.

How is that? They owe him nothing. Why should they offer him a contract if they don't want him on the team next year? In fact, I think they should trade him this year.

2minpenalty

Mar 29, 2011
This kid is going to be a solid blueliner for us - still has a lot to learn, but he and Goloubef look solid all things considered.

I'm still not sold on Erixon, his skating ability needs to improve. He has very good hockey IQ which is something lacking in Moore's game. Interesting times ahead, but Aucoin has to take a lesser role and let these kids continue developing.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
THis board just cracks me up with the hate on Mason. If he starts some predict a loss, even though the team rarely wins no matter who the tender is. He plays well enough to get us to OT vs a team that is unbeaten in regulation this season and a major breakdown by a veteran D-man allowed an easy goal in OT and yet it's on Mason for letting in softies.

I want nothing more than for Mason to be successful. For him personally and for this team. I believe there's a damn good goalie in there somewhere, and expect to see it someday again.

The problem I have is with the soft goals. He's certainly been better this season, but there have been far too many soft ones for an NHL goalie. I understand the lack of defense and solid forward game being major contributors, but, IMO, it's still possible for him to steal a game even with those deficiencies, and he just rarely seems to come through.

Mason may be the worst goalie I've seen with respect to the inability to make timely saves, be it in the final moments, early moments or at critical junctures of a game. CBJ were pushing CHI back hard in the 2nd, had just took a lead and then Sharp's goal happens. It's this kind of sloppy play that continues to dog the team at pretty much every position. Mason is the lightning rod because that comes with the job, for better or worse.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
How is that? They owe him nothing. Why should they offer him a contract if they don't want him on the team next year? In fact, I think they should trade him this year.

Here's one reason Includes a no-trade clause.

Some of the younger players (Dorse and Atkinson IIRC) have mentioned how Prospal has helped them with the long haul of an NHL season.

So if the CBJ go back on the deal they started last year (basically offering him the option of 1 years deals at a pretty low salary for his point production), how much more difficult will it be to sign/re-sign players? How is the front office even with the changes (JD and JK) explain this, given that right now Prospal is the leading goal scorer?

The cynical side of me is wondering what Prospal (never known for having a filter) will say if the CBJ go back on their word...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I want nothing more than for Mason to be successful. For him personally and for this team. I believe there's a damn good goalie in there somewhere, and expect to see it someday again.

The problem I have is with the soft goals. He's certainly been better this season, but there have been far too many soft ones for an NHL goalie. I understand the lack of defense and solid forward game being major contributors, but, IMO, it's still possible for him to steal a game even with those deficiencies, and he just rarely seems to come through.

Mason may be the worst goalie I've seen with respect to the inability to make timely saves, be it in the final moments, early moments or at critical junctures of a game. CBJ were pushing CHI back hard in the 2nd, had just took a lead and then Sharp's goal happens. It's this kind of sloppy play that continues to dog the team at pretty much every position. Mason is the lightning rod because that comes with the job, for better or worse.

Mason's biggest issue, IMO, has been his mental inability to bounce back after a bad goal. We saw it last night. Gives up another within a short period of time. That's what I mean by he can "suck the air out" of the team.

I'm going to "read into" something Mason said last night.

“It’s such a crappy feeling,†Mason said. “I felt like garbage after that second goal."
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...s-have-no-hurrahs-for-another-close-call.html

I appfreciate that he feels he let the team down, but he doesn't have time to feel crappy or like garbage. While he's busy feeling like garbage, the other team is scoring another goal. Lots of goalies give up bad goals. You can't give up another on the heels.

Mason has been better at this this year. I've said it. But last night is an example of what has held him back.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
In addition to the soft goals, Mason tended in the past to have games where things are going well, then boom he gives up a goal... and then the floodgates open to a flurry of them. This speaks to an inadequate mental approach. Some guys in any sport just don't have what it takes in that area.

This is the first year since his rookie season where I've seen real improvement. He looks competent (or at least, not embarrassing) this year. However, he still needs to get better. Last night we saw the mini-flurry of 2 goals in a minute that lost the game. Hopefully he continues to build on the improvement this year.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Here's one reason Includes a no-trade clause.

Some of the younger players (Dorse and Atkinson IIRC) have mentioned how Prospal has helped them with the long haul of an NHL season.

So if the CBJ go back on the deal they started last year (basically offering him the option of 1 years deals at a pretty low salary for his point production), how much more difficult will it be to sign/re-sign players? How is the front office even with the changes (JD and JK) explain this, given that right now Prospal is the leading goal scorer?

The cynical side of me is wondering what Prospal (never known for having a filter) will say if the CBJ go back on their word...

The guy responsible for that is no longer making the decisions. It is up to the current front office to do what they think is best. If that is trading Prospal or not bringing him back next year then that is what they should do.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
My thoughts of the game:

Mase did give up a couple of soft ones, but also thought he played well enough for us to win this game.

Johan, looked better and better as the game went on. Nice play on goal, even better roofer to finish.

Cam played a good game too, I do wonder how the ankle sprain is doing. Every time he gets hit I worry. He was so close to a goal!! Shoulda went upstairs...

Loved seeing Nikki6 stand up for Tyutin!

Nice to see Anisimov get on the board. I thought he had a great 1st game back.

Gilles has really impressed me lately. He is a decent 4th liner, he has serious wheels and is strong on the boards.

Thought all of the youngsters on D did really well considering who we were playing. Prout reminds me of Methot.

We have alot of games coming up at home and If they bring the heart and energy they did last night, theyll win there fair share.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The guy responsible for that is no longer making the decisions. It is up to the current front office to do what they think is best. If that is trading Prospal or not bringing him back next year then that is what they should do.

Throwing VP to the curb would do wonders for CBJ's rep among players and agents.

Oh yea .... :sarcasm:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I agree with this. At some point VP is going to be too old and we'll all be *****ing about him like he's the next Aucoin. If he fits in next year's plan great; if he can be traded to a contender for a last run at the Cup fine. if its his time to go then hopefully the Jackets handle it with some class and find a spot in the organization for him if that is what he wants and if its a good fit.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Took some time and cleaned up a bunch of stuff that violated site rules. Those of you who see your posts are missing or edited, you're welcome.

Do NOT, for the love of all that is holy, post about other posters. Please limit your comments to the content of other posts.

Not only is it a violation of site rules, it make for some of the worst posting on the forums.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Hawks board's PGT is a fun read, they have more nice to say about the Jackets than many here!

Well they didn't think we had any talent and had no chance to make the playoffs, so they came away surprised.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The Hawks board's PGT is a fun read, they have more nice to say about the Jackets than many here!

What recourse do they have? Slamming the 30th seed in league after beating them?...

Had the CBJ beaten the Hawks you'd have had a harder time finding nice things to say about the Jackets on their board...

The Hawks are bound for the cup, crumbs from them are meaningless in respect to what many regulars say here. I could care less what Hawk fan says...

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Who was the last Jacket goalie that stole games? Maybe Tugger? Denis was the first one to have photos with beach balls sailing over his shoulder during the game and "soft goal" was tossed around. Then Pascal broke down (despite many who insisted early on that he wasn't injury prone), then Mason was a gog for that one glorious season. So you mind telling me who these game stealing goalies that the CBJ have had in the past? Love to hear about these mythical goalies that stopped 30+ shots a game and led uis to the playoffs as our offense feverishly scored 2.5 goals a game, and our defense failed to slow anyone down (exception was Hitchcock years).

We don't prevent shots on goal, we don't score goals, so I don't care who our goalie is that doesn't translate to wins.

Opinion: I'm glad you essentially agree with me. You are welcome to add the XGMDM goalie years to the trail of tears.

Since you asked, at one time WE DID have a Calder Cup goalie we rode into the playoffs. Easy to forget I know.

I personally will judge JD on the importance he assigns to finding a decent steady goalie.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I just got down here to the Fla Keys and got a chance to watch the game. Joey's best game by far. He had some great passes tonight, he just looked the best Jacket on the ice. As for Aucoin the guy was abused for most of the night.

Mason looked good, as did our defense. Oh and hats off for Nikki standing up for Tyutin.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00