GDT: GAME 20: Stars vs Blue Jackets | 7pm ET

MattTheMask

Cbus for life!
Mar 11, 2009
Columbus
www.jacketsfans.com
Richards after the game said they were tired. How is that possible?

Idk. Excuses are for losers. Im tired of hearing them. Tired, injuries, no puck luck etc. BS! Every team deals with it.

Ottawa lost Jason Spezza ...... now have gone something like 12-5 without him. Won 5 out of 6 without Erik Karlsson and went 3-0 without their goalie Craig Anderson.

Just so freaking tired of all these damn, lame excuses from the CBJ. Enough. Hopefully under this new regime of JD and Jarmo they cut that crap out immediately. Also, a big part of this injury issue is that both of the former regimes here never built up depth to deal with injuries.

zmancartfan

Jan 21, 2011
Medina, OH
Idk. Excuses are for losers. Im tired of hearing them. Tired, injuries, no puck luck etc. BS! Every team deals with it.

Ottawa lost Jason Spezza ...... now have gone something like 12-5 without him. Won 5 out of 6 without Erik Karlsson and went 3-0 without their goalie Craig Anderson.

Just so freaking tired of all these damn, lame excuses from the CBJ. Enough. Hopefully under this new regime of JD and Jarmo they cut that crap out immediately. Also, a big part of this injury issue is that both of the former regimes here never built up depth to deal with injuries.

Normally a lurker, but I have to chime in and say I agree with this 100%.

Let's hope that the recent criticisms of the team that the FSO guys have been allowed to say on air and Brassard's printed quotes that their effort just "isn't good enough" means that the choke hold that the previous regime's country club had on the staff voicing negative opinions is over. I just hope that this is the beginning of a new level of accountability in that if the effort and play isn't up to standards that anybody can be called on the carpet for it.

No more lipstick on the ox, guys, it ain't pretty. Acceptance is the first step to recovery.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Here is my summary.

Dallas was 1-15-2 in their last 18 on the 2nd night of a back to back. They played their backup goalie. They traded their leading scorer earlier today.

The CBJ still could not beat them.

This team has real talent issues. Effort only takes you so far.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
A frustrating loss that was kind of punctuated by such a preventable final goal. But I'm not in the fire and brimstone crowd.

The team came back from 4 deficits, and the first pair is out, as are AA and Dubs. The Jackets showed moxie and scored some goals.

I've considered the last several games as steps forward. This one was maybe a step backwards (def. for Bobrovsky) but more likely sideways

bizzz*

Here is my summary.

Dallas was 1-15-2 in their last 18 on the 2nd night of a back to back. They played their backup goalie. They traded their leading scorer earlier today.

The CBJ still could not beat them.

This team has real talent issues. Effort only takes you so far.

Never heard of talent issues on these boards :sarcasm: Are you people trying to kill the dead horse?

The team was missing 3 of their top-6 forwards and top defensive pair. The goalie had an off night. They've got a point. They're not gonna win the Cup this year. Life goes on.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Never heard of talent issues on these boards :sarcasm: Are you people trying to kill the dead horse?

The team was missing 3 of their top-6 forwards and top defensive pair. The goalie had an off night. They've got a point. They're not gonna win the Cup this year. Life goes on.

I never said they were going to win the cup.

As pointed out before, Ottawa has their top 3 players out and they continue to win with a bunch of no name players. That team is pretty much a bunch of no names and a 40 year old Daniel Alfredsson. As someone who attends probably 3/4 of the home games in person this season and watches all of the others on TV, I appreciate the effort but is getting frustrated by the lack of NHL level talent. I like what the missing players bring to the team in leadership and effort but even they were not adding to the scoresheet consistently.

The team flat out needs people who bring it every night AND can put the puck in the net. Just 1 or 2 people like that could have turned some of these close, frustrating 1 goal losses into a few 1 goal wins. In all of February, subtracting 2 games with empty netters, only 2 losses have been decided by more than 1 goal and both of them were decided by only 2 goals. That is 8 losses by essentially a 1 goal margin in February. All of them after February 7. Just a bit more scoring talent from somebody could have made 1/2 of those a 1 goal victory and the CBJ could be talking playoffs instead of yet another high draft pick.

I understand the whole building blocks and building this team slowly the right way but I can smell this team is getting close to being a legitimate and relavent team with just another piece or 2 to the puzzle.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I know people don't want to win because it hurts draft position, but how can anybody stand for the fact that we have a coach who won't start the goalie that gives us the best chance to win a game?

No reason Bob should have started tonight. If Mason was in goal the Jackets win in regulation.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up….

I was at this game and felt blessed to see the Jackets, a team of third liners, go into overtime tied scoring four goals no less… In the second period it was obvious Bobrovsky was not playing well…

The real question is why Richards played Bobrovsky after Mason held the Hawks to one goal?

Neither Mason nor Bobrovsky are good but at some point Richards must be held accountable, he chose Bob and Bob tanked… One would think Richards is trying to force Bobrovsky to be the starter, well guess what, Bobrovsky is not any better than Mason….. both need to go.

The Blue Jackets should have won this game.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Surprised so many of you are still frustrated with this team.

Even healthy we'd struggle to break .500 from here on out.

Time to enjoy watching the young kids develop.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah seriously some people seem like they expected us to make the SCF.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I guess, but when you looked at the team last year and saw what we go rid of and what we got.. did people expect to be better?

We had people on here before the season saying how great our young players were going do and that they though having 4 "second" lines was actually better than what we had last year because we didn't have cancers like Carter, that Sergei Bobrovsky was going to show the world that he was a #1 goalie, that Nick Foligno was going to have a great season, etc.

So, yeah, people set some unrealistic expectations for this team.

Beyond that, no fan enjoys seeing their team suck even if they knew it was inevitable.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I must say I've enjoyed our battle lately, but not tonight. Yeah, Bob blew it, but we deserved to lose anyways, and got a damn loser point.

Also, no one should ever cite the Ottawa Senators and claim that teams should be expected to win despite missing their best players. The fact that Paul Maclean's Senators are still winning is damn near miraculous, and definitely not the norm but the exception to it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Florida is in the tank battle just as much as those teams, don't forget them. Theyre actually beating the Pens tonight 5-4 with only 12 minutes to go.

They hung on for a 6-4 win. Only negative tonight was our 1 point.:sarcasm: The rest of the bottom feeders won.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC

This. However, my only problem with this is Richards. He has no real choice on defense but play the kids but on offense he still is reluctant to play certain players. Joey for instance saw little ice time because of Richards desire for grinders.

We won't know what we have if the kids can't show us what they can do.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

Agree, I don't get some of these posts.

I will say that one area I am getting frustrated with is the coaching. The goaltending has been handled poorly from day one this season and some of the player selections at times leaves me questioning what's going on.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Im actually starting to think Howson was a worse GM then DM. We may have back to back worst team in the NHL.....not even DM put together 1 30th place team. And the Howson 30 were all his signings, either FA or resigns of DM's players and his coaches.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Well at least we scored a few goals.
Bob was terrible last night.
As others said Dallas is horrible on B2B road games and their backup tender is horrible as well PLUS they traded their leading scorer and hour before the game. Just shows how bad the CBJ is.
To be honest with the way BOB was playing at no point did I even consider we were going to get 2 points. Even when we tied it up I knew it was a matter of time.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Im actually starting to think Howson was a worse GM then DM. We may have back to back worst team in the NHL.....not even DM put together 1 30th place team. And the Howson 30 were all his signings, either FA or resigns of DM's players and his coaches.

The four highest point totals in CBJ history were on Howson's watch, including the playoff year.

The 65 points last year was the second-highest 30th-place total since 2000-01. The highest was 2007-08, when Tampa and Los Angeles both had 71 points.

Even if you include last year, the average of Howson's team point totals is higher than any season ever MacLean had at all.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...Bob was terrible last night.

...To be honest with the way BOB was playing at no point did I even consider we were going to get 2 points. Even when we tied it up I knew it was a matter of time.

Can't disagree, but the sad thing is that Bob made a number of very difficult saves and let in a couple of really weak ones. Very frustrating! This team should win scoring four goals, even having three of the top six forwards and the top defensive pairing out. RJ was, despite his late goal, terrible and so was Brassard. Even with the expectation of a lousy team, losing that way stings.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The four highest point totals in CBJ history were on Howson's watch, including the playoff year.

The 65 points last year was the second-highest 30th-place total since 2000-01. The highest was 2007-08, when Tampa and Los Angeles both had 71 points.

Even if you include last year, the average of Howson's team point totals is higher than any season ever MacLean had at all.

Saying the 65 points is good for 30th place is ridiculous, it's like being the tallest midget. last place means you are the worst team, no matter if you have have 30 points or 82 points you're in last place.

So yes I agree Doug never assembled a last place team. Howson did it at least once, and likely twice.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I guess, but when you looked at the team last year and saw what we go rid of and what we got.. did people expect to be better?

Yes, its called addition by subtraction. Carter was a cancer from the start and Rick Nash was not part of the solution. I've seen multiple people say a big reason for the Rangers start was the they lost Dubinsky and Anisimov as the core heart/grit of the team and nobody has stepped up to replace it. Is anyone here really surprised that Rick Nash isn't fulfilling that role for the NYR?

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com

Which means we still finished dead last

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Folks. I know Richards broke a cardinal sin, at the same time I, personally, didn't see a huge drop off in energy. It was a bit of a dud, but we've played worse. If I was listening to the same comment others were commenting on, it's was basically "Fatigue led to mental mistakes.".

I don't care if it's true, the comment didn't bother me. We did play 3 in 4 nights, along with a lot of people subbing in, so my expectations going in were basically "Keep the feet moving" and "Don't get blown out". The loss of Brassard screwed up the lines. The defense got exposed a bit, as did Bob.

Not biggie. No reason for frustration drama. Coaches that are losing eventually say something that the fan base can jump on, especially when you try and offer what you think is an explanation. You generally offer what the fan base will view as an excuse or you criticize the locker room. Or worse, an individual player. One the fans don't want to hear and the other(s) the player(s) don't want to hear on TV, and some probably don't want to hear it face to face either.

Try and remember your expectations for the season and that the front office is in the evaluation process. I'm not really a Richards fan to begin with, but he is far better, even with that "mistake" last night, than the previous coach. If the front office staff feels he needs replaced he will be.

You can hear the frustration from the players. It will be interesting to see how that frustration is channeled. At some point some of the players will go over to "This shiz ain't working". I wonder how close the locker room will be at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad