GDT: Game 2 - New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers - 7:30pm MSGSN, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Vitek had a rough Game 1 but I really have no criticism of him for Game 2. They were all dirty goals that were screened or tipped, or on the PP in front of the net.

Either way, we have zero 5v5 goals in 120 minutes. This isn't a goalie issue. There's room for improvement for sure, but there are many things that are far more pressing right now.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
So even if you want to take this as gospel they were still ‘expected’ to give up over 3.5 goals in a game they scored…one in. All Vitek’s fault
In literally every post I've said that there's tons of blame to go around. Never once said it's all Vitek's fault. But Vitek is not absolved of blame, and should get pulled out of the lineup like every other underperforming player.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
Someone in these threads in the last 12 hours cited John Maclean to minimize how bad this coaching is. But funny enough that is the last time I can remember when literally every single player on the team has looked like shit simultaneously and the team as a whole looked completely f***ing lost on the ice. I remember some people at the time who insisted the onus was on the players, but 99.9% of us recognize in hindsight that the coaching was in fact trash and was a massive contributor to how much that team sucked for ~35 games.

There's tons of blame to go around, but the coaching is easily the most infuriating because at least with the players you can point to them being inexperienced and having the tough task of dealing with the Rangers defense. It's literally the coach's job to implement strategies and make decisions to mitigate these challenges. Old man Lindy is instead doing things that exacerbate and in some cases are even creating the issues at hand.

Why even have a coach at all if you think he doesn't have a significant influence when the stakes are this high and it's best on best?
lets just start with zone entry, hey ruff, get us into the OZ... can you do something

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Vitek had a rough Game 1 but I really have no criticism of him for Game 2. They were all dirty goals that were screened or tipped, or on the PP in front of the net.

Either way, we have zero 5v5 goals in 120 minutes. This isn't a goalie issue. There's room for improvement for sure, but there are many things that are far more pressing right now.
Yeah but you realize that decent goalies stop pucks that are tipped or screened, right? Just because the puck is tipped or there's a screen or a bad turnover doesn't mean they should all wind up in the back of the net. Goalies are supposed to contribute and add value to the team.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
In literally every post I've said that there's tons of blame to go around. Never once said it's all Vitek's fault. But Vitek is not absolved of blame, and should get pulled out of the lineup like every other underperforming player.
So we're calling up half of our minor league team?

:sarcasm:

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Just woke up and unfortunately it wasn’t a nightmare, it is reality.

Got to tip my hat to the rangers as much as it pains me. They have completely embarrassed this team and organization through 2 games.

I didn’t think playoff experience mattered that much nor did I think the Rangers could flip on a playoff switch and boy was I wrong.

With that said the part I’m most annoyed about is watching the post game it appears that no one is angry. Ruff postgame just acting like yesterdays loss was any old loss and all is fine. Just gotta clean things up a little. Timo (who I think has been one of the few who has shown he cares) postgame more of the same. Little things we need to focus on, details, rangers are a good team blah blah blah.

F all of that. It’s time to step up. I’m sick of the nerves talk, I’m sick of the experience talk. It’s time to produce. The Devils must get back to what made them successful. They need to use their speed and get the rangers on their heels. Let the rangers take the dumb penalties these next few games need to be track meets.

Luke must come into the Lineup. It’s an Ace in the hole and no reason not to try it.

Vanecek was awful game one but last night was not on him. Embarrassing performance especially on the PK again. Kreider legit had a repeat of game 1 last night when game 1 was one of the most pathetic defensive displays I’ve ever seen.

Rant over, just give me a damn effort please.

Reactions: Dialamo

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
regardless of who the coach is the team aint going to go very far when your top 6 goes mia your top d man is frozen and your starter was shaky (game 1)

#stats
Unless of course the coach is part of the reason that every single offensive weapon we have is suddenly a useless AHLer.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just woke up and unfortunately it wasn’t a nightmare, it is reality.

Got to tip my hat to the rangers as much as it pains me. They have completely embarrassed this team and organization through 2 games.

I didn’t think playoff experience mattered that much nor did I think the Rangers could flip on a playoff switch and boy was I wrong.

With that said the part I’m most annoyed about is watching the post game it appears that no one is angry. Ruff postgame just acting like yesterdays loss was any old loss and all is fine. Just gotta clean things up a little. Timo (who I think has been one of the few who has shown he cares) postgame more of the same. Little things we need to focus on, details, rangers are a good team blah blah blah.

F all of that. It’s time to step up. I’m sick of the nerves talk, I’m sick of the experience talk. It’s time to produce. The Devils must get back to what made them successful. They need to use their speed and get the rangers on their heels. Let the rangers take the dumb penalties these next few games need to be track meets.

Luke must come into the Lineup. It’s an Ace in the hole and no reason not to try it.

Vanecek was awful game one but last night was not on him. Embarrassing performance especially on the PK again. Kreider legit had a repeat of game 1 last night when game 1 was one of the most pathetic defensive dial plays I’ve ever seen.

Rant over, just give me a damn effort please.

when you have a room full of kids that is going to be expected. sure hamilton and tatar and palat have experience in the playoffs but the team is still a room full of kids playing against men

Unless of course the coach is part of the reason that every single offensive weapon we have is suddenly a useless AHLer.

the coach isn't out there causing bratt to turn the puck over or jack to keep losing the puck or nico not finishing. he can only take them so far they have to finish it.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
when you have a room full of kids that is going to be expected. sure hamilton and tatar and palat have experience in the playoffs but the team is still a room full of kids playing against men
If only there was someone the org could hire who would be there to help those kids prepare properly, make sure the best possibly players are in the lineup, and develop a strategy that would mitigate their inexperience and other challenges they might be facing. You know, maybe like coach them or something. I think they should give that a shot.

Reactions: Devs3cups

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
the coach isn't out there causing bratt to turn the puck over or jack to keep losing the puck or nico not finishing. he can only take them so far they have to finish it.
I hate this cliche retort.

Do you not realize that the strategy (or lack thereof) the coach employs can in fact lead to players turning the puck over or not being able to create quality scoring chances?

Everyone recognizes that hockey is the ultimate team sport. It’s not as simple as “these individuals should be able to play better on their own regardless of what everyone else on the ice is doing”.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why was Mason Geertsen called up?

“Just the fact that we wanted more physicality. We wanted to get Mason in there, he’s been a good player for us. A lot of heart, physicality, a former Ranger.”
That would be Lindy’s Colin White on the PP moment

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
A lot of posters are complaining that we aren’t playing our game. But no one is giving the Rangers enough credit. They’re holding the blue line and forcing our guys to chip it in and play the game along the boards that we’re not well suited for. That’s why we’re trying to play physical, we’re fighting to win those battles. This is the playoffs and there isn’t the same amount of space.

I can’t blame the team for trying to play physical when they have no choice. The Rangers have a superb game plan and I didn’t think their additions would make such a difference. I think they’re good enough to challenge the Bruins if they play them. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Devils, the Rangers are the better team from goaltending, defense and their 4 lines. The other problem is they are entering our zone with ease.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
EDFD443-F-E034-42-F6-9-A3-A-143-D1-C23-D54-B.jpg

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
A lot of posters are complaining that we aren’t playing our game. But no one is giving the Rangers enough credit. They’re holding the blue line and forcing are guys to chip it in and play the board game that we’re not well suited for. That’s why we’re trying to play physical, we’re fighting to win those battles. This is the playoffs and there isn’t the same amount of space.

I can’t blame the team for trying to play physical when they have no choice. The Rangers have a superb game plan and I didn’t think their additions would make such a difference. I think they’re good enough to challenge the Bruins if they play them. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Devils, the Rangers are the best team from goaltending, defense and their 4 lines.

We are. Their stars are heavily outplaying ours and Ruff is getting coached circles around by Gallant.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If only there was someone the org could hire who would be there to help those kids prepare properly, make sure the best possibly players are in the lineup, and develop a strategy that would mitigate their inexperience and other challenges they might be facing. You know, maybe like coach them or something. I think they should give that a shot.

coaches can't play the game for the players they can only take them so far.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah but you realize that decent goalies stop pucks that are tipped or screened, right? Just because the puck is tipped or there's a screen or a bad turnover doesn't mean they should all wind up in the back of the net. Goalies are supposed to contribute and add value to the team.
Depends on the type of tip or screen, some are so close that the body literally cannot react fast enough.

Vanecek made plenty of saves at 1-0 and 1-1 that kept us in the first half of the game, including the early penalty kills. If you take 7 minors and let them cycle in your zone with impunity of course it's only a matter of time before the goals start going in, regardless of how many quality saves he made before.

The skaters did absolutely nothing to help him out. A one goal lead isn't enough to get the Rangers to play off-script. The skaters are completely impotent with the puck on their stick, the Rangers are always two steps ahead. The players have no answer and the coach has no answer. Until they can come up with an answer goaltending is going to be far down the list of concerns.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
4 years, 5 years, 6 years of experience....

I wonder when we stopped calling them "kids"?

In a league where nobody wants to even know a dude over 30 years old a 23/24 year old is not a "kid"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad