Game 2 - Canada (QMJHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Shirokov's act was a little excessive but it was more silly than offensive, imo. Silly in the sense that it wasn't THAT big of a hockey game, although it was a great game from an intensity standpoint. I've watched MANY games at the Bell Centre that were worse over the years.

Several players stood out for me, either positively or negatively:

- Voloshenko is going to score a lot of goals in the NHL. He's ALWAYS ready to release his shot. I hope he fits in well with the Wild because I like his potential.

- Alexandre Picard, the defenseman not the winger, looked awful. Hesitant, bad decision-making and not much offensive acumen. Wasn't impressed at all.

- No. 17 on the Russian team, I believe his name is Zhurin, is a hard worker with some nice skill. I liked his game a lot.

- Khudobin looked very good. He's not only talented but he has a lot of poise and discipline. Also made a beautiful play when he came out of his crease to beat a forward for a loose puck (diving and passing it off to a defenseman all in one fell swoop). I think he might be better than Barulin, who also stole the show at last year's tourney.

- Alex Bourret is going to be a very good NHLer. His game reminds me somewhat of Doug Gilmour. He's not big but he plays big. He also has good hockey sense and a knack for making plays out of nothing.

- Radulov has some Alex Kovalev in him, I mean Alex the great not Alex the "what the f&*k was that". He's a special talent and the best player on the ice for either side.

- I would have liked to see Dany Roussin in the shootout. I see some Michel Goulet/Luc Robitaille in him.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Evman said:
The lack of stuff like this in the nhl is what separates us from the showboating of the nba and nfl. The Russians don't seem to understand or care for that fact though. I guess we as Canadians are just brought up differently. We are taught to respect our opponents, battle hard, hate them, but never show them up.

So you've never seen a Canadian kid rub it in or showboat??? :shakehead

I'll see if I can find a link for you of Tie Domi riding his stick like a witch's broom down the rink after scoring a goal.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Chaos said:
Comparing Ribeiro's act(of faking an injury and then 'challenging' the Bruins bench) to Shirokov hushing the crowd after he SCORES A GOAL is wrong...there just is no basis for comparison. To paraphrase Terrell Owens, If you dont want him to celebrate, then dont let him score.

To paraphrase Beanie from Old School, you're focusing on all the wrong sort of details.

The reason I used it as an example is because both incidents speak volumes about the integrity of the game. Both incidents are more about embarrasing opponents than anything else. It's classless.

Sorry I can't really think of an example more similar to this incident because I don't remember off hand a Canadian kid doing anything remotely close to this, if you can, let me know and I'll trash him just as much as the Russian kid. I can't imagine how much grief a Canadian would get if we sent a team to another country to represent us and he did something like Shirokov. He'd be blasted from coast to coast and I'd be embarrased to have him representing me on a national level.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Chief said:
So you've never seen a Canadian kid rub it in or showboat??? :shakehead

I'll see if I can find a link for you of Tie Domi riding his stick like a witch's broom down the rink after scoring a goal.

Exactly!

Q. And what is Tie Domi's reputation???
A. A classless idiot, travelling gong-show.

If you think Tie Domi is regarded by Canadian hockey fans as a great embassador to the game you're sadly mistaken.

espo*

thorspartak said:
enough of that obsession with fred astaire, for crying out loud.
if that's the only beef you've got with me then i'm doing pretty good.That's so kiddish man,cmon.Talk hockey,this is not seventh grade.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
The real Don Cherry seems to love Domi, now doesn't he? But that's beside the point. The fact is that **one** Russian kid rubbing it in doesn't really make the case that all Russians are brought up any worse than all Canadians, now does it? Nope, it just means that, at worst, this Russian kid is classless and/or immature.

Now, I'm not a fan of a lot of the showboating that goes on in sports but I can't help but say "big friggin' deal" about this whole situation. There was some great hockey played over two games and to make a big deal about some kid's celebration just seems to be focussing too much attention on something that isn't worth the effort. Just MHO.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Celebrations after a big goal are great. Rivalries created. One of the reasons I like watching Edmonton play Atlanta because of the rivalry created solely on the back of Kovalchuk vs. Edmonton.

espo*

George Bachul said:
Celebrations after a big goal are great. Rivalries created. One of the reasons I like watching Edmonton play Atlanta because of the rivalry created solely on the back of Kovalchuk vs. Edmonton.
That's a good point.For the fans it can be a great thing sometimes,you have a person you love to hate and that's always super and leads to more drama.I neglected to consider that positive aspect of showboating.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't know what the big fuss is about.

I love the taunting, it was great. The Russian kids are smart, they know that the expectations would be that this was another weak squad. They came in and got the job done....and had a lot of fun doing it. Who cares? This is an exhibition series designed for the fans really. They showboated a little, personally, I thought it was hysterical.

That's what the Q organization gets for picking schlubs like Boutin to play in net. I'm sure it pissed off the players a little, but they've seen it all, and probably done it, before.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Matt MacInnis said:
That's what the Q organization gets for picking schlubs like Boutin to play in net.
My distinguished collegue. Boutin has had a solid start to the season. I don't think he is at fault for the loss. The Q didn't have a solid blueline in front of him either.

Evman*

thorspartak said:
what are ya, 12 ?

p.s. easier to say it on the net board than actually skate on ice and imprint your words into action.

Well considering I don't play in the chl I'm pretty sure it would be pretty hard to do.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I don't really care for that celebration myself simply because it wasn't all that interesting or funny. If you are going to celebrate "excessively" you need to inject some wit into it, like Miro Satan's awesome cell-phone call celebration at the trade deadline.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Epsilon said:
I don't really care for that celebration myself simply because it wasn't all that interesting or funny. If you are going to celebrate "excessively" you need to inject some wit into it, like Miro Satan's awesome cell-phone call celebration at the trade deadline.

Telling the crowd to shut up after scoring a big goal is witty as hell. Completely hilarious. Too bad if you dont like players showing emotion after scoring.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Chaos said:
Telling the crowd to shut up after scoring a big goal is witty as hell. Completely hilarious. Too bad if you dont like players showing emotion after scoring.

Holy jumping to conclusions Batman. It's quite the opposite in fact, I simply don't think this celebration was all that good. I love a good goal celebration though (Satan's phone call, Selanne's shotgun after scoring his record-breaker, Fleury's swim across the ice, etc.).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Epsilon said:
Holy jumping to conclusions Batman. It's quite the opposite in fact, I simply don't think this celebration was all that good. I love a good goal celebration though (Satan's phone call, Selanne's shotgun after scoring his record-breaker, Fleury's swim across the ice, etc.).

My mistake...for some reason I confused you with the other guy(Evman)....that last comment was meant for him, not you ;).

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
markov` said:
He was invisible. I was so impressed by him in game 1, but game 2 tells me that he is very inconsistent.

I thought he played very well, he trew his weight around, got infront of the net and worked his tail off again, made some nice plays and played an all around good game. I never thought he played bad at all, I thought he played well myself.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
moosefan said:
I thought he played very well, he trew his weight around, got infront of the net and worked his tail off again, made some nice plays and played an all around good game. I never thought he played bad at all, I thought he played well myself.
Same here

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
moosefan said:
Agreed, he played well enough, but Game 1 was going to be a hard act to follow. So his Game 2 pales by comparison. Either way, I think Bernier put himself into the #1 spot for consideration from Team Canada at forward, edging past Pouliot. If the number of invites is restricted, they might not both go, but I see them as the only two non-returning QMJHLers who definitively earned a look.

(Guys like Bourret, Bourdon, and Cabana will have to settle for having served notice for the summer evaluation camp next year).

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
slats432 said:
My distinguished collegue. Boutin has had a solid start to the season. I don't think he is at fault for the loss. The Q didn't have a solid blueline in front of him either.

did you not see the 3rd goal??? A novice house league goalie could have stoped that.

And out of the 4 shootout shots he faced he stoped ZERO. 2 goals, a post and 1 wide.

EddyK

Oct 5, 2004
Edmonton
:shakehead oh boy

some of you guys are worse than DON CHERRY.
For the love, imagine that you are a player playing on that Russian team(with all the comments made from last year team :shakehead ). And you come out and beat them twice in a row, wouldnt you feel good about yourself and rub it in a little? Man some of you need to relax and think of it as a game because it is a game,not a religion! This is one of the reason why this game doesnt have enough media attention in the world. The most popular sports are the ones with crazy rivalries and showboating is a good ingredient for rivalry. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad