Game 2 - Canada (QMJHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Evman said:
I'm probably just slightly older than the kid and I wouldn't dream of doing something like that.

If he ever makes it over to North America (doubt it), he'll learn soon that **** like that doesn't go over too well.

Things like this make me very angry. The lack of stuff like this in the nhl is what separates us from the showboating of the nba and nfl. The Russians don't seem to understand or care for that fact though. I guess we as Canadians are just brought up differently. We are taught to respect our opponents, battle hard, hate them, but never show them up.

Yep, the Q players, as Canadians are brought up like me, therefore I will cheer for them over some Russian team sent over from Russia :shakehead

It's okay that you wouldn't showboat, but the fact is, there are others who would, and if you aren't doing it, it doesn't make it morally wrong for the Russians to do it.

Oh yeh, Shirokov should get a chance in NA. He is a beaut.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I didn't think Bernier or Pouliot were all that great. Players like Cabana, Dixon, Laliberte and Paquet were the strongest IMO for the Quebec team.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
Cabana and Paquet!!???

I think they didn't deserved their spots on the team.

Laliberté played well after an off night on monday and Dixon is always solid

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
thorspartak said:
i m only looking towards the other games

hopefully there will be less sore losers so to speak

i mean the game was decided by better-skilled russians and it's a bit one-sided
since the q played good physical games throughout the 2 games

anyway, let's just watch more of it

p.s. hey, i watched last year's game and in no way was i a sore loser after the young russians got the crap beat out of them.

it's just a game, emotional yeah, but since we all play it we got different views on minor things.
Probubly why thier a little cocky this year. They have probubly heard all yr how badly they were going to lose again.
I hope we acually win a shootout so it wont sound like sour grapes that i dont think a great game should end that way. I hope they dont bring it to the NHL. I know they are looking at it in the AHL. If they want to settle a tie then play suddendeath.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Louiss said:
Cabana and Paquet!!???

I think they didn't deserved their spots on the team.

Laliberté played well after an off night on monday and Dixon is always solid
Doesn't matter how they got there, they did well in the games.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
I didn't think Bernier or Pouliot were all that great. Players like Cabana, Dixon, Laliberte and Paquet were the strongest IMO for the Quebec team.
Yeah Paquet looked damn good for a young defenceman

espo*

Strizzi said:
How exactly do respect and hate mix together?
I can hate a team and still show reasonable respect towards them.A good place to start is not acting like Fred Astaire on the way to scoring an empty net goal yet having no problem laying them out with an open ice hit with their head down.It's a balance that you find.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
I thought Pouliot flashed some good skill when he had the puck on his stick. Aside from that he did nothing for me...average speed, very little physical impact, and poor defensively. IMO they definitely should not have given him a star considering how he quit on the back-check that directly led to the 2nd Russian goal.

Couple other notes from the last couple games:
-You gotta like when a player as skilled and small as Bourret can bring the physical game he does.
-For someone that has looked very solid in previous viewings, Picard made some pretty questionable decisions with the puck and got caught flat-footed several times at the offensive blueline.
-Paquet and Bourdon both looked pretty solid.
-JM Bolduc was atrocious.
-Q league got out-goaltended

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
paxtang said:
Any opinions on Cabana, Laliberte and Picard?

All 3 played well.

Picard, best dman in the 1st game. Not as noticeable in game 2. The guy can play, underrated because he comes from the QMJHL in my opinion.

Laliberte scored a goal and he almost scored another on a great partial breakway move. Khodobin stoned him.

Cabana was playing the way he always does. He lacks skill so he just works his ass off and makes simple plays. Nice assist on Dixon goal.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
For half the players on Quebec they were playing 5 in 5, and the rest were either 3 in 5 or 4 in 5.

With that style play it is tough to play that many games. Not making excuses. Just facts.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
nomorekids said:
You weren't upset when Kovalchuk pounded his fist as he shot the puck into the empty net when the Russians defeated Canada?

No I wasn't. He wasn't pointing at the bench or trying to exploit the players on the opposing team, he was just realizing he was about to accomplish the greatest feat of his life. It was personal excitement, not obvious 'in your face' gloating like Shirokov.

Do you think I'm proud of what Mike Ribiero did against Boston in the playoffs? It was disgusting. I don't care that it might have given his team any kind of advantage. And I don't care that he is from Canada. He's a puke in my opinion.

I know what it is like to play in an intense hockey series. I have often grown to hate opposing players but not once have I or anyone I've ever played with or against done anything like Shirokov's little stunt. It's not a drama class, it's a hockey series. And what he has done now is created an Us vs. Them attitude that this series never really had before. I know the OHL and WHL players saw exactly what hapened and now they will take it upon themselves stick up for the Q team that they probably didn't even consider allies before last night.

I'm not saying people are going to be out to get him, but nobody is going to ease up when they see scruffy black hair and a reflective visor coming their way.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
My only problem is that he did it when he couldn't be held accountable for it.

He does it in the first period, cool... but keep your head up.

There is nothing more gutless than a guy showboating and talking trash when he's never going to see most of the players again.

Be excited, pump your fist, jump up and down... hey, that's cool... but don't shush the crowd... I guarantee he wouldn't have done that if they played again tomorrow... and that I have a problem wiht.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
88Nords19 said:
I thought Pouliot flashed some good skill when he had the puck on his stick. Aside from that he did nothing for me...average speed, very little physical impact, and poor defensively. IMO they definitely should not have given him a star considering how he quit on the back-check that directly led to the 2nd Russian goal.

It's also his 8th game in 10 days... and while he made one mistake defensively, he was also the Q player who created the most chances. He made up for his mistake with a goal, and to be honest, he sould have had about 7 points in the 2 games... he set up a lot of guys for some good chances that they didn't bury.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
dawgbone said:
My only problem is that he did it when he couldn't be held accountable for it.

He does it in the first period, cool... but keep your head up.

There is nothing more gutless than a guy showboating and talking trash when he's never going to see most of the players again.

Be excited, pump your fist, jump up and down... hey, that's cool... but don't shush the crowd... I guarantee he wouldn't have done that if they played again tomorrow... and that I have a problem wiht.

I sure hope Dion was watching over in Red Deer.....

Hopefully that got his blood pumping a little harder and he'll get the WHL boys ready to go..... :yo:

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Don_Cherry said:
No I wasn't. He wasn't pointing at the bench or trying to exploit the players on the opposing team, he was just realizing he was about to accomplish the greatest feat of his life. It was personal excitement, not obvious 'in your face' gloating like Shirokov.

Do you think I'm proud of what Mike Ribiero did against Boston in the playoffs? It was disgusting. I don't care that it might have given his team any kind of advantage. And I don't care that he is from Canada. He's a puke in my opinion.

I know what it is like to play in an intense hockey series. I have often grown to hate opposing players but not once have I or anyone I've ever played with or against done anything like Shirokov's little stunt. It's not a drama class, it's a hockey series. And what he has done now is created an Us vs. Them attitude that this series never really had before. I know the OHL and WHL players saw exactly what hapened and now they will take it upon themselves stick up for the Q team that they probably didn't even consider allies before last night.

I'm not saying people are going to be out to get him, but nobody is going to ease up when they see scruffy black hair and a reflective visor coming their way.

Comparing Ribeiro's act(of faking an injury and then 'challenging' the Bruins bench) to Shirokov hushing the crowd after he SCORES A GOAL is wrong...there just is no basis for comparison. To paraphrase Terrell Owens, If you dont want him to celebrate, then dont let him score.

Last edited:

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
enough of that obsession with fred astaire, for crying out loud.

cyclops said:
I can hate a team and still show reasonable respect towards them.A good place to start is not acting like Fred Astaire on the way to scoring an empty net goal yet having no problem laying them out with an open ice hit with their head down.It's a balance that you find.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
what are ya, 12 ?

p.s. easier to say it on the net board than actually skate on ice and imprint your words into action.

Evman said:
That's a good point.

And I'm sure the Q's brethren in Ontario and Western Canada will have something to say about this.

I know if I was on the team I'd go out there and try and take his head off, but that's just me.

:)

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
u mean principle, right ?

Evman said:
It's not about being a sore loser. How can you be a sore loser when you're not even cheering for one team or another? I was just happy to watch a little hockey on the tube. And what I saw was disgusting. It has nothing to do with the result of the game or the nationality of the teams, it has to do with the principal of the act.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Bouchard is finally coming into his own in the AHL, where he should've been all along. Koivu is coming along okay, the occasional injury that occurs once a year popped up but he rebounded very nicely with another assist tonight.

How could Bouchard have played in the AHL all along? I am pretty sure the only choice for him was juniors or to stay up with the Wild.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
just b/c you don't like the guy doesn't mean he won't make it to the NA, plus what's with the attitude ? hockey is played all over the world (with known exceptions and yes it's developing in Asia (see the Asian Hockey League topic on this board)) and you make it sound like NA hockey is the superior kind.

i agree in a way, but it's relative now with so many players coming to play in NA it's hard to say it has to be a "national" thing.

Evman said:
I'm probably just slightly older than the kid and I wouldn't dream of doing something like that.

If he ever makes it over to North America (doubt it), he'll learn soon that **** like that doesn't go over too well.

Things like this make me very angry. The lack of stuff like this in the nhl is what separates us from the showboating of the nba and nfl. The Russians don't seem to understand or care for that fact though. I guess we as Canadians are just brought up differently. We are taught to respect our opponents, battle hard, hate them, but never show them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad