Game 2 - Canada (QMJHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

nomorekids said:
personally, i think the whole hug-and-a-handshake approach to hockey is kind of boring. it's admirable in a way, but i love the blood and guts rivalry much more..and part of that is some drama\theatrics. if you're playing in front of an opposing crowd that is likely jeering you\trying to knock you off your game...i see nothing with rubbing it in a bit. i was once benched for pointing at the scoreboard(we were winning 5-1 late in the third) after some kids from the school we were playing yelled some stuff at me. when you're on the ice, you can get caught up. everyone is human, and i don't see anything wrong with it.
Yeah, feelings get riled up and rubbing it in can be part of the equation(especially when you are young) i understand that but once you get older and accept the traditions of the game it's an unwritten rule that rubbing it in mostly consists of just beating them on the scoreboard and punishing them physically while showing them you are the better team,mouthing off and lot's of trash talk is part of the norm also but doing the funky chicken on your way to scoring an empty net goal?That stuff is garbage for the most part,he was'nt 8 years old.I see what you mean when it comes to entertaining,i like that part also.But there is a big difference between someone like rocky thompson going nuts when he puts (finally) the puck past the goalie (it's likely the only goal he will get all year) and Kovalchuk making like Fred Astaire on an empty net goal.Total Horse@#$%

espo*

Orv said:
Just to chime in on the show-boating debate.

I think it is fine as long as the guy is ready to face the music afterwards.
That is a good point.you're probably most right here.And man...is he gonna face it,that's a garuntee.If he's got the moxie to deal with what is gonna come at him then i guess the guy can pull off what he fancys.But if he starts crying about it later................no sympathy.

SPARTAKUS*

cyclops said:
Well,you could say that but it's not only us,other hockey nations believe in following the accepted standards of the game and that's one of them.It's fine if you don't have a problem with it but if i were you and you play your hockey in North America anywhere i certainly would'nt try that material in your league or you'll find out in a hurry that it was the wrong decision.No-one will forget that,they will run you and try to take your head off for the rest of your days there.Give it a shot if you want but i don't think you'll like the results.In an arena in Moose Jaw or South Boston...you take your pick and give it a whirl and come back to let me know how the experiment went.

cyclops I agree with you on that point. and by the way I am Canadian born in sudbury, ontario and now residing somewhere in northern ontario...why did you think I was european.

espo*

OTTSENS said:
cyclops I agree with you on that point. and by the way I am Canadian born in sudbury, ontario and now residing somewhere in northern ontario...why did you think I was european.
Actually i was'nt sure.Your English seemed impeccable so i kind of doubted it,lol.But i thought maybe you could be European by your comment since most Canadian hockey fans know the code and expect it to be followed(not saying you don't know the code,i'm sure you do) but it seemed like you thought the code should'nt apply to everyone if they take a different attitude towards that(maybe they should'nt?) I just know that i was brought up to think it's garbage.Anyway..........I'm pretty sure kovalchuk won't dare pull that one out of his hat in the nhl.In the world's he can get away with it but in the nhl he'd be a marked man and he knows it.He's big but not that big,it would'nt be just little ole mike comrie he'd have to deal with if he did that at an nhl arena.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If I ever scored an NHL/international goal. I dont it was the ugliest goal ever scored in the history of the NHL/international play i'd go nuts Terrell Owens style.

SPARTAKUS*

I am just saying that when you're 17, 18 years old it's normal to get a little be more excited. to me he reacted like a teenager. On the other hand if the score is let's say 5-0 and you score to make it 6-0 then no celebration please!!! You never embarasse your opponent.

SPARTAKUS*

Bileur said:
If I ever scored an NHL/international goal. I dont it was the ugliest goal ever scored in the history of the NHL/international play i'd go nuts Terrell Owens style.

Terrell Owens he's great!!!!! you never know what he's gonna do next??? But one of these days he's going to get he's due.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
i m only looking towards the other games

hopefully there will be less sore losers so to speak

i mean the game was decided by better-skilled russians and it's a bit one-sided
since the q played good physical games throughout the 2 games

anyway, let's just watch more of it

p.s. hey, i watched last year's game and in no way was i a sore loser after the young russians got the crap beat out of them.

it's just a game, emotional yeah, but since we all play it we got different views on minor things.

SPARTAKUS*

thorspartak said:
i m only looking towards the other games

i mean the game was decided by better-skilled russians and it's a bit one-sided
since the q played good physical games throughout the 2 games

anyway, let's just watch more of it

p.s. hey, i watched last year's game and in no way was i a sore loser after the young russians got the crap beat out of them.

it's just a game, emotional yeah, but since we all play it we got different views on minor things.
Amen to that :bow:

Evman*

Orv said:
Just to chime in on the show-boating debate.

I think it is fine as long as the guy is ready to face the music afterwards.

That's a good point.

And I'm sure the Q's brethren in Ontario and Western Canada will have something to say about this.

I know if I was on the team I'd go out there and try and take his head off, but that's just me.

:)

Evman*

thorspartak said:

It's not about being a sore loser. How can you be a sore loser when you're not even cheering for one team or another? I was just happy to watch a little hockey on the tube. And what I saw was disgusting. It has nothing to do with the result of the game or the nationality of the teams, it has to do with the principal of the act.

SPARTAKUS*

Evman said:
It's not about being a sore loser. How can you be a sore loser when you're not even cheering for one team or another? I was just happy to watch a little hockey on the tube. And what I saw was disgusting. It has nothing to do with the result of the game or the nationality of the teams, it has to do with the principal of the act.
c'mon they're kids for god sake!!!! you make it sound like he killed somebody. it wasn't disgusting it was just a teenager having fun that's all. no big deal.

Evman*

OTTSENS said:
c'mon they're kids for god sake!!!! you make it sound like he killed somebody. it wasn't disgusting it was just a teenager having fun that's all. no big deal.

I'm probably just slightly older than the kid and I wouldn't dream of doing something like that.

If he ever makes it over to North America (doubt it), he'll learn soon that **** like that doesn't go over too well.

Things like this make me very angry. The lack of stuff like this in the nhl is what separates us from the showboating of the nba and nfl. The Russians don't seem to understand or care for that fact though. I guess we as Canadians are just brought up differently. We are taught to respect our opponents, battle hard, hate them, but never show them up.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
How are people confusing getting excited and showing emotion with showboating? Getting very excited and overcelebrating is one thing (I still don't like it, but the harmless/just kids argument applies), but it's completely another to go out of your way to showboat and embarass your opponent. Regardless of nationality, it's disrespectful and unsportsmanlike. I guess if you have no problem with a lack of respect and sportsmanship in hockey, then that's your opinion, but most people would probably agree that those are important elements in hockey and sport in general.

If he's willing to take a subsequent asskicking after showboating, then I guess that's fine, but I'd bet almost anything that he wouldn't be willing to face the music.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Evman said:
Things like this make me very angry. The lack of stuff like this in the nhl is what separates us from the showboating of the nba and nfl. The Russians don't seem to understand or care for that fact though. I guess we as Canadians are just brought up differently. We are taught to respect our opponents, battle hard, hate them, but never show them up.

Dude, get over it...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Evman said:
I'm probably just slightly older than the kid and I wouldn't dream of doing something like that.

If he ever makes it over to North America (doubt it), he'll learn soon that **** like that doesn't go over too well.

Funny, the WHL had more showboating than any league I can remember. Every game I'd go to in PG someone would make a fool out of themselves in front of the crowd, usually before or after a fight. Particularly hilarious is the way WHL goons like to slick their hair back before they start fighting like they are bigshots or something.

Evman*

Strizzi said:
How exactly do respect and hate mix together?

How do they not?

I hate the Tampa Bay Lightning and especially Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis, but I respect their talent and accomplishments immensely.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Evman said:
How do they not?

I hate the Tampa Bay Lightning and especially Brad Richards and Martin St. Louis, but I respect their talent and accomplishments immensely.
Ok, it seems like we have different definitions of the word 'hate'.

Evman*

Strizzi said:
Ok, it seems like we have different definitions of the word 'hate'.

And what would your definition of the word be?

Hate for me is halfway between dislike and despise.

leafaholix*

A couple good games for Anton Khudobin against junior competition and you guys have "doobie" thinking he's the next Terry Sawchuk.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Evman said:
And what would your definition of the word be?

Hate for me is halfway between dislike and despise.
For me, hate is much stronger than dislike. I dislike other teams and their players, but hardly hate them. To me, hate is something that applies to people who really did bad things. But I know that many people don't use this expression as strong anymore.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
The Russians don't seem to understand or care for that fact though. I guess we as Canadians are just brought up differently.

brought up by Don Cherry you mean? :shakehead

sheesh.. get over it. No one else on here seemed to have gotten offended by it.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->