GDT: Game 2: Avs @ Devils | Saturday, October 7th, Noon MT | Bernie's Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Z was OK. The penalty was bad. I'm sure he's trying to make a good impression and be mean for the coaches, but he needs to know the limits. I was happy to see him skating with it a bit.

EJ had one of his games where he was out of control and never realed it back in. Barrie has looked good through two. Nemeth...I honestly don't remember him doing anything, so that's a good sign.

Compher was a mess defensively. Really disappointing to see. That line got some jump after Wilson left and Jost joined.

The top line is infuriating right now at 5 on 5. This team will go nowhere with play like that. MacK was a disaster today. I don't know why Rantanen didn't shoot on that wide open play in the slot. That was absurd.

Reactions: Skip2myBordyloo

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Let's wait and see how long he stays in the NHL before we start freaking out about Will Butcher right now. He would not be on this Avalanche team.

Great debut by him. Full credit due for that, but let's not jump the gun.

I know you and a few others trashed on Butcher after he rightfully gave Sakic the middle finger, but the whole "he would not be on this team narrative is weak BS". Our LD other than Zadorov is a collection of unknowns and you know that. Butcher could have easily made this team

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know you and a few others trashed on Butcher after he rightfully gave Sakic the middle finger, but the whole "he would not be on this team narrative is weak BS". Our LD other than Zadorov is a collection of unknowns and you know that. Butcher could have easily made this team
No he couldn't. He is not as good as anybody on our NHL d roster aside from maybe Mironov who's only here because of politics.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
1 NHL game= 3 points on the PP
You don't think Butcher could have helped our PP after seeing what you saw today?
o_O Never said that. What I said was Sakic is not to blame for Butcher not signing here but you can blame him for a lot of other stuff if you like

AAAAAnd he manage to get 3 PP points against the worst PK i have ever witnessed. Yeah ... no ... still don't like him.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You sure about that? Will Butcher played 9:22 of even strength today for the Devils. Compare that to the even strength times of the other defensemen:

John Moore
14:21

Andy Greene
12:12

Steven Santini
15:41

Mirco Mueller
14:45

Damon Severson
14:49

Not to mention he didn't see a second of PK time while the other 5 defensemen all played more than 3 minutes each SH. He's not some diamond in the rough. He has PP skills, that's about it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I thought Soderberg had a good game and deserves to stay. He had a stupid play on the PK when he got stripped of the puck at our blueline that hemmed them in for 20 seconds. Como was shit today lol. Does anyone have a gif of his awful turnover in the second period? He had no pressure and just gave it to a devil lol.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Butcher getting 3 assists on a PP against a horrible PK which stands around and does nothing is hardly too impressive. I can get multiple assists against the Avs PK because I'll just have an easy time to pass it to someone who will score

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Werd. Alot of people on here sounding like the bitter ex right now. We have our own issues on this roster and coaching staff. I rather we complain about that than Will Butcher.

The whole Butcher convo started from a Devils fan who came here to troll. I don't think anyone cares about Butcher lol.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's the way this team operates and approaches their D situation. D prospects get seasoning, that's their philosophy. It's going to take someone as good as Makar to push that precedent. Not every player gets the same opportunity on every team.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If you want to put blame on something, it's more on Bednar's than anything else.

I can't say I know for certain what the reasons are why Duchene wants out but I'm fairly confident that Bednar is probably at the top of the list.

I think players who have been there for a while, those that are still around to remember Joe Sacco, don't want to put up with another coach who is either : making the dumbest decisions that are so ludicrous that it makes you wonder if he even wants the team to win at all OR is being forced by management to make those decisions. Either way, it's a bad scene and affects all of the players on the team.

After the night that Varlamov had to start the year, the decision to start your back-up in Game #2 makes ZERO LOGICAL SENSE unless you weren't satisfied with the results of Game #1. I mean, are you serious?? If the guy is HOT to start the season, ride him and try and get the team off to a great start in the standings, no??

Varly is your starter, our next game is only on Monday, it's not like it's 3 games in 4 nights. (Bernier played fine today but that's not really the point)

It's stuff like this and scratching Zadorov for Game#1 that has me believing that either Bednar's IQ is that of a shoelace OR this is done on purpose to deflate the guys to tank the season.

It's going to be a long year especially if MacKinnon plays all season the way he has in Games 1 & 2.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Greer needs to replace Comeau ASAP.

And no idea why it’s so hard for the Avs D to cover opposite side forwards.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
We seem to be giving up more chances from the rush this year than even last year or my memory is hazy about how bad last year was. I remember being hemmed in more last year but this time it seems that the middle of the ice is just too easy for the other team to skate through and get a shot off.

I don't think that it's a result solely of having more rookies either.

And Mac needs to get going a bit here. Landeskog is looking okay, Duchene relatively good especially considering the summer he had, but Mac needs to be more of a bull and play his speed game.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Z looked more fleet footed than i remember, he pinched in a couple times which i love, except someone forgot to tell these kids to cover for him when they do that. Same with Lindholm, i like the aggression from all the D, but the forwards need to be more aware
Special teams man...ugh.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We have such dumb hockey IQ players.

MacKinnon and Johnson being the biggest examples. Hockey Pejorative Slurs.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Didn’t get to watch it but I take it they played like last year.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Missed the game, because of time zoning. Our stats 5 on 5 look ok.
Special Teams - jeepers.
Bednar's systems seem a little flawed.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Bednar mentioned game management as being a big problem. I am pretty sure that is the 3rd coach that is having issues with the players game management. These guys don't get it. And likely won't.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The forwards were major problems today. Poor plays leaving the zone and even poor decisions with the puck in the neutral zone. My mind is still blown that Rantanen did not shoot that puck from the slot.

Landy had some jump in the preseason games I saw. I haven't seen that so far in the first two games.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
This whole franchise just strikes me as dumb. We've got a dumb GM, a dumb coach and roster full of dumb players who make the poorest decisions at the randomest times. On raw talent this is a top 10 team, but they're too f***ing dumb to do anything with it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landy had some jump in the preseason games I saw. I haven't seen that so far in the first two games.

The whole line hasn't been able to do much. I expected Compher to be more visible.

It's still early. Zero even strength goals against is good, even though it's due to goalie heroics at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad