GDT: Game 2: Avs @ Devils | Saturday, October 7th, Noon MT | Bernie's Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Hardly rips them.

And Landeskog isn’t even on that line.

Bednar sounds frustrated when he talks about the team. I know he is scapegoat #1 around here, but he is probably more pissed with them than we are as fans.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landeskog isn’t even on that line.

Bednar sounds frustrated when he talks about the team. I know he is scapegoat #1 around here, but he is probably more pissed with them than we are as fans.

"Probably"? His career is on the line.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Can't take too much away from a game that was played so shorthanded other than the discipline level that needs to be addressed.

Oh well, on to the next one.

Edit: I guess it wasn't that bad for penalties.. Sure seemed like a lot.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The team is gonna be playing a tonne of games where they're taking 3+ more penalties than the average from this season. It's part of the game for the time being, if you wanna win then you have to bury your own PP chances and be better at killing penalties.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I hate Bednar with a passion but everything he said there is spot on. Losing battles, soft on the puck, not moving your feet. Issues that have plagued Avs teams for years and years, and doesn't seem to change. The clear attempts on the PK are lousy going back to the Rangers game. Probably 2-3 goals that could have been avoided combined in the first two games if the puck just gotten cleared instead of whiffed on or turned over.

Still want him gone as soon as possible but also recognize he makes a lot of good points.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I have zero faith in Bednar - absolutely zero. I also don’t think this is a playoff a calibre team. The worst outcome of this season for me is a team that misses the playoffs by one spot. That is why I am not too frustrated by the loss. I want Bednar gone so if the team plays like this for 20 games I hope it leads to him being fired while also leaving the team so far back in the standings that they can play decent with a new coach and still have good odds at drafting top 5.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I said “probably” because I don’t know what Bednar actually thinks.

But yeah, this team could cost him a career as an NHL head coach.
This team costs just about everyone their careers. Except, you know, those that don't get fired.

I'd hardly call that a rip job either especially when he's asked about the player(s) in question.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I have zero faith in Bednar - absolutely zero. I also don’t think this is a playoff a calibre team. The worst outcome of this season for me is a team that misses the playoffs by one spot. That is why I am not too frustrated by the loss. I want Bednar gone so if the team plays like this for 20 games I hope it leads to him being fired while also leaving the team so far back in the standings that they can play decent with a new coach and still have good odds at drafting top 5.

Don't worry, If they keep playing like in the first two games, there's no way he is still coaching Avalanche in 20 games. We have been bailed out by our goaltenders many times. Bernier was fantastic yesterday. He made unbelievable saves. Varly was amazing in first.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I hate Bednar with a passion but everything he said there is spot on. Losing battles, soft on the puck, not moving your feet. Issues that have plagued Avs teams for years and years, and doesn't seem to change. The clear attempts on the PK are lousy going back to the Rangers game. Probably 2-3 goals that could have been avoided combined in the first two games if the puck just gotten cleared instead of whiffed on or turned over.

Still want him gone as soon as possible but also recognize he makes a lot of good points.
Yes, he does make good points. He always has. On the other hand he and his staff are still teaching systems which clearly don't work. The PK is the biggest problem right now and has been for a while. And it's a problem which also affects 5 on 5 play because by now the thought of avoiding penalties at all costs must be the dominating one in the players' heads. The team looks better when the puck goes up and down because it's more about speed and hustle than about systems in those moments. As soon as the game slows down it becomes obvious how bad the setups and strategies are. You can't only be fast in the modern NHL. You can't outwork the opponents all the time. You need structure. You need more than just `get the puck behind the opposing D and hope somebody comes up with a great idea.´ Otherwise you're simply wasting energy.
I'm also asking myself why Landy is still captain of this team. We have many players on the team now who were praised for their great leadership in juniors but it rarely shows on the ice. Might be changing the captain won't affect this but do we not need to try something? Anything? Especially because Landy's famous Viking mode isn't a thing you can see in more than three or four games of a season.
There are many obvious problems and I don't see improvements in any of these areas. Players come and go but nothing seems to change.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think Gettho is getting scratched for the next game. I'd like for Landy to replace him. Soda to the 3rd line. Nieto back on the 4th.

I'd like Bednar to have short leashes on the non-core players: you have a bad game, someone else is taking your spot in the lineup.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I think Gettho is getting scratched for the next game. I'd like for Landy to replace him. Soda to the 3rd line. Nieto back on the 4th.

I'd like Bednar to have short leashes on the non-core players: you have a bad game, someone else is taking your spot in the lineup.

Well, can't say I could argue with that. Has to be about accountability, and unless you're proven, and are in the "allowed a less than great game ocassionally", you have to play 110% every second, of every minute of every shift, or you should be in a position to lose your spot.

Honestly, I think Greer would look better next to Mack and Rants tbh.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Well, can't say I could argue with that. Has to be about accountability, and unless you're proven, and are in the "allowed a less than great game ocassionally", you have to play 110% every second, of every minute of every shift, or you should be in a position to lose your spot.

Honestly, I think Greer would look better next to Mack and Rants tbh.

ATM Greer is nothing more than an energy guy with some offensive upside. Getting first line minutes and matchups would be way over his head. But I wouldn't mind him on the 4th line to crush some bones ...:hit:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
ATM Greer is nothing more than an energy guy with some offensive upside. Getting first line minutes and matchups would be way over his head. But I wouldn't mind him on the 4th line to crush some bones ...:hit:

When compared to Andrighetto though?

I'm really frustrated (in BOTH games) with Bednar's structures and systems both in attack AND defense. Special teams are terrible. We are a team that will only thrive with every player playing at 110% due to the lack of hockey IQ and skill compared to most of the opposition, but at the same time, if we DO play balls to the wall, I don't think there are many teams that could beat us. We just aren't going to out skill another team - we'd have to out hustle them.

Just need Bednar to kick the horses flank somehow and motivate these guys to play harder.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Greer is still on IR if I'm not mistaken. I'd like him to be on the 4th line and drag some of these whimps into battle.

I think he will be sent down as soon as he is ready to go however.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Greer is still on IR if I'm not mistaken. I'd like him to be on the 4th line and drag some of these whimps into battle.

I think he will be sent down as soon as he is ready to go however.

Yeah, I think so, too. Would love to see some passion, some laughter on the bench. Just something to show these boys love playing with each other. Just seems like....don't know....the clubs got a veil over it playing wise. I really miss guys like Mcleod, Lappy for that exact reason. We are only 1-1-0 I know, but we are about to play Boston in back to backs.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Bednar had 60 minutes to get this team moving their feet. Everything he says about the team is basically admitting his incompetence to change the team's spirit.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen was a line by the end of the game and Jost and Wilson swapped spots, which were both changes I wanted to see mid game.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Duchene-Yak
Ghetto-Jost-Compher
Wilson-Soderberg-Comeau

Is what I hope sticks for Monday.

Makes me feel better a lot of Central teams are sucking to start.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Although line up changes should happen soon, I'd like to keep the Landeskog-Compher-Jost line and see if it sticks, they looked good last game when put together. Also we get to keep the most expensive 4th line ever...why did we get Colin Wilson again? Maybe he can be a someone to replace Ghetto. Then if Ghetto truly stinks it up, get Greer on that fourth line when he's ready.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I just don’t like what Wilson brings. He’s slow, uncreative with the puck, and isn’t physical.

Sadly, him and Landeskog look like twins dragging Compher down. That line needs more speed and puck skill.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Terrible idea. You don't give special treatment to better players. If you are going to bench a lesser player after a bad game then you do the same to the core.

At this age, this is just a bad strategy anyways. These guys won't respond to being benched too well. That might motivate teenagers, but that's just going to piss pros off.
When compared to Andrighetto though?

I'm really frustrated (in BOTH games) with Bednar's structures and systems both in attack AND defense. Special teams are terrible. We are a team that will only thrive with every player playing at 110% due to the lack of hockey IQ and skill compared to most of the opposition, but at the same time, if we DO play balls to the wall, I don't think there are many teams that could beat us. We just aren't going to out skill another team - we'd have to out hustle them.

Just need Bednar to kick the horses flank somehow and motivate these guys to play harder.

Balls to the wall is not a winning strategy. These are pros. We might be able to steal some games by outworking the opposing team, but most nights the other team is going to want to work just as hard for the win.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. When the talent also works hard though, talent is going to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->