GDT: Game 17: Red Wings vs leafs (GLOBAL) 2:00 et 11/17/23 (NHLN, BSD)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
You nailed it. Good NHL players didn’t spend significant time in the minors.
And the GM isn’t signing 3rd liners/3rd pairing Dmen because there’s ‘talent’ in GR.

Don’t get me wrong - Yzerman has improved this roster, but has the coaching staff improved?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Bettman hates the Wings and wanted to embarrass them in Sweden where most like them.

This trip is going to derail this team and we will see it Wednesday vs. NJ

I agree that Bettman hates Detroit but I disagree on the second part. The 4 day break will be helpful for the team. They need the rest.

And the GM isn’t signing 3rd liners/3rd pairing Dmen because there’s ‘talent’ in GR.

Don’t get me wrong - Yzerman has improved this roster, but has the coaching staff improved?

JFC. The team came back from 4-0 and stole a point. Then they were out of gas in the 3rd period of a b2b. This isn’t a sign they’re back to basement dwelling.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I agree that Bettman hates Detroit but I disagree on the second part. The 4 day break will be helpful for the team. They need the rest.

JFC. The team came back from 4-0 and stole a point. Then they were out of gas in the 3rd period of a b2b. This isn’t a sign they’re back to basement dwelling.
Inconsistency is key here…They aren’t looking any different from when Blashill was coaching…The Wings are sliding into mediocrity.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Zetterberg had to say to Kronwall it was a great move. Lol
I know. I'm saying it seems to not matter who we put in the team play sucks so much it won't matter if Brodeur was in net
Hasek or Roy would though.
Our stud top 12 c has gone 5 games without a point. His linemates fault tho right.
I think he has a minor injury.
I think they were a bit out of gas in the third from playing back to back, and got to remember that Walman got injured too.
Yes. They just folded in 3rd
Maddening to say the least. Sick and tired of the Lalonde/Blashill nice guy shtick if this is how it’s gonna go. Get a leader in here with some balls. I want a coach to come in and say our goal is to make the playoffs. Instead it’s an “idk, look at other teams, our division is tough, etc”.

Someone act like they give a f***. This organization has been soft for a decade and it shows on the ice. predictable
7 out of 8 bottom teams in the league are from the west. Our division/conference is tough.
How did the Wings end up with the back to back on this trip??
Yes, why?
Inconsistency is key here…They aren’t looking any different from when Blashill was coaching…The Wings are sliding into mediocrity.
Points total improving each season is sliding into mediocrity?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We’re 3-5-2 in our last 10 games…If that’s not a sign of ‘sliding into mediocrity’ then I don’t know what is…..
The trick here is that the Wings are indeed sliding into mediocrity. But they are sliding up into mediocrity from being wholly terrible the last few years. They are just sliding very slowly.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The trick here is that the Wings are indeed sliding into mediocrity. But they are sliding up into mediocrity from being wholly terrible the last few years. They are just sliding very slowly.
At the pace we’re going - we’ll make the playoffs in 4 more years :cheer:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
We’re 3-5-2 in our last 10 games…If that’s not a sign of ‘sliding into mediocrity’ then I don’t know what is…..
There are always some bumps on the road.
The coaches had some setup power plays to start the season which the league has figured out now. You can't win many games when you score 2 PP goals on 40+ attempts.
The coaches have to watch how Lidstrom and the demolition man scored PP goals. It's simple and effective. Dmen shoot forwards try to tip. Have we scored a PP goal like that this season? Seider has to shoot.
It is obvious they are trying setup plays which don't work.
I don't understand why the coaches need so much time to figure it out.

I don't think we will collapse 2nd part of the season as we did before. Seider and Raymond will improve this season and it will help a lot.
I do believe Larkin has a minor injury. Both he and DeBrincat have cooled off big time.

Reactions: 13to40

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The coaches had some setup power plays to start the season which the league has figured out now. You can't win many games when you score 2 PP goals on 40+ attempts.
The coaches have to watch how Lidstrom and the demolition man scored PP goals. It's simple and effective. Dmen shoot forwards try to tip. Have we scored a PP goal like that this season? Seider has to shoot.

I don't think we will collapse 2nd part of the season as we did before. Seider and Raymond will improve this season and it will help a lot.
I do believe Larkin has a minor injury. Both he and DeBrincat have cooled off big time.
As I mentioned earlier - the roster has improved on paper - it’s the coaching that leaves me worried.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I loved those Lidstrom deflection goals but I feel like I haven't seen them from any team since those days. Did the league just move away from them in general? Is there some reason they just don't work anymore?

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
I loved those Lidstrom deflection goals but I feel like I haven't seen them from any team since those days. Did the league just move away from them in general? Is there some reason they just don't work anymore?

Sharks, when Burns and Pavelski were in their primes, used shots from the point a lot, outside of Pavelski who is obviously great at tippning, they also had big forwards that crashed the net looking for a rebound.

Otherwise I think Goalie equipment and the way goaltenders position themselves in general means that they cover more of the net, thus making tipping less effective.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I think it's more there aren't a lot of teams that have a good deflection guy. Hornquist with Pittsburgh retired 1-2 years ago and that was about it with a great net front player and it could be argued the Pens learned from us in 07 with Homer.

Juha

Feb 18, 2014
Finland
100% this. I'm so damn sick and tired of hearing Lalonde bloviate about how good the division is and how the Red Wings aren't "there" yet in his postgame pressers. How do you think the players feel in the room when they hear that?

Hear, Hear!

Well said. For me Lalonde's comments have gone from sounding refreshingly honest, to sounding annoyingly defeatist. On some level it is a bit cowardly for the HC to blame the roster for the losses. I personally really don't like it at all. Some coaches take the blame themselves (even when it is not their fault at all) and shield the players. I think that is more honorable.

Reactions: raymond23

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think it's more there aren't a lot of teams that have a good deflection guy. Hornquist with Pittsburgh retired 1-2 years ago and that was about it with a great net front player and it could be argued the Pens learned from us in 07 with Homer.
Probably has something to do with the best defenseman to ever play the game as well.

Homer and lidstrom were like best friends, so their chemistry was unmatchable. Today, we would probably be looking at seider and raymond, but I don't really think raymond would do well in front of the net at all. Our best bet is to get rasmussen to learn homer's hand eye and allow seider to shoot the puck 3 feet wide so ras can tip it from front of the net to go around the goalie. That is exactly what homer and lidstrom used to do and why it was so effective. The goalie would square up, but the angle changes like crazy when it's tipped from a wider position.

The other best part about it is if homer randomly missed the tip (usually rare), then the puck would hit the boards hard enough to squirt back out the other side and if we had a player sitting over there, it gave a secondary chance. Usually didn't happen to go in, but was always a play that made the goalies extra anxious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad