GDT: Game 17: Red Wings vs leafs (GLOBAL) 2:00 et 11/17/23 (NHLN, BSD)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He started the year playing where exactly? Last year he was with Perron and Copp and it worked. This season Compher took his spot on that line, so he’s been a nomad all season.
Last year he also had a whopping 10G.

He’s not a very good player

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Contract year or not he's only been trending up every year and probably their best player in the playoffs
He is one of the worst forwards in the league when it comes to the defensive side of things. Regardless of what the stats say he isn't always great in the playoffs. He has had some off years. I watch every leaf playoff game with friends every year.
Detroit needs major help on defense that is the teams biggest issue right now.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
This defense needs to get sorted out ASAP.

We need a system. We need to stop plugging random people in and telling them "I don't know, just, like, play defense?"

The forwards need to buy in. The defense needs to buy in. The coaches need to buy in. There needs to be an identity.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This defense needs to get sorted out ASAP.

We need a system. We need to stop plugging random people in and telling them "I don't know, just, like, play defense?"

The forwards need to buy in. The defense needs to buy in. The coaches need to buy in. There needs to be an identity.
Blashill and now Lalonde…Team just looks outta sorts at times and it’s been costing them…As you said there’s no identity, or accountability.

Last edited:
Reactions: lgrws91

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think there would be less pessimism if this team was a bubble team because of new young talent. Instead it’s a bubble team because of overpaid vets. There’s no light at the end of the tunnel with these losses
Not a single prospect made the roster on like year 6 of a perpetual rebuild. It's maddening.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is one of the worst forwards in the league when it comes to the defensive side of things. Regardless of what the stats say he isn't always great in the playoffs. He has had some off years. I watch every leaf playoff game with friends every year.
Detroit needs major help on defense that is the teams biggest issue right now.

I don't necessarily want Nylander, but we have more than enough safe defensive forwards, we heavily lack creative offensive guys throughout our lineup.

Reactions: lgrws91 and WF19

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not a single prospect made the roster on like year 6 of a perpetual rebuild. It's maddening.

It is annoying and the over ripening thing hasn't even worked for us really ever, and to me seems like a narrative without merit. Tatar and Nyquist only didn't make it because we were super deep, and any of the other guys simply weren't better or worse from having spent a long time in the AHL or where ever. When you look at any of the star players in the league that played in the AHL before the NHL. All of them either were really good and spent like half a season in the AHL, or weren't quite NHL ready but really good in the AHL. Most of our guys aren't exactly lighting up the AHL, and we always makes excuses like oh they are young, it is only D+2. Good players put up pts even at 20-21 years old in the AHL.

There aren't that many guys who put up just ok AHL numbers and then become stars in the NHL, which is why I am worried about our team from an offensive future stand point. Even guys like Brayden Point, Brad Marchand who had a slower starts to their careers, put up good AHL numbers. Berggren is the only player in the past many years who had really good AHL stats from the forwards. Everyone else was just ok or even bad.

Even Edvinsson isn't really putting up great stats. They are decent, don't get me wrong, but there are other youngsters putting up better pts at the same age. ASP has started great in Sweden, so we have to hope these 2 are really good, because like I said earlier with forwards, not many NHL stars who struggled to score in the AHL, like Kasper is for example.

Reactions: Bondurant

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Some observations...

Marner and Matthews were essentially no-shows and we still failed to get a point.

Liking Seider's physicality (about ten hits these two games), but I haven't seen a Wing pass up so many shots since Val Filppula.

What does Copp actually do and how is it that I really liked him as a player in Winnipeg? He was -2 with 0 shots, 0 hits and 2 out of 6 on faceoffs.

Fire Tanguay.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not sure why the pessimism? It took trailing by four goals for them to finally get their collective heads out of their asses yesterday, and they sat back on a 3rd period lead and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Both against divisional opponents. It's infuriating for a team that is supposedly out to prove that this year is different.
I don’t think they sat back. Toronto stepped on the gas pedal as they can do against anyone. They came back from 2-3 goal deficits multiple times this season. It was also a ”schedule loss”. Back to back against rested team, 3rd string goalie etc. It was a good effort.

The Ottawa game was a coin flip in the end but getting 3 out of 4 points against them so far is solid.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Some observations...

Marner and Matthews were essentially no-shows and we still failed to get a point.

Liking Seider's physicality (about ten hits these two games), but I haven't seen a Wing pass up so many shots since Val Filppula.

What does Copp actually do and how is it that I really liked him as a player in Winnipeg? He was -2 with 0 shots, 0 hits and 2 out of 6 on faceoffs.

Fire Tanguay.
Matthews had one nice attack but the only other time I noticed him was during warm-ups.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It is annoying and the over ripening thing hasn't even worked for us really ever, and to me seems like a narrative without merit. Tatar and Nyquist only didn't make it because we were super deep, and any of the other guys simply weren't better or worse from having spent a long time in the AHL or where ever. When you look at any of the star players in the league that played in the AHL before the NHL. All of them either were really good and spent like half a season in the AHL, or weren't quite NHL ready but really good in the AHL. Most of our guys aren't exactly lighting up the AHL, and we always makes excuses like oh they are young, it is only D+2. Good players put up pts even at 20-21 years old in the AHL.

There aren't that many guys who put up just ok AHL numbers and then become stars in the NHL, which is why I am worried about our team from an offensive future stand point. Even guys like Brayden Point, Brad Marchand who had a slower starts to their careers, put up good AHL numbers. Berggren is the only player in the past many years who had really good AHL stats from the forwards. Everyone else was just ok or even bad.

Even Edvinsson isn't really putting up great stats. They are decent, don't get me wrong, but there are other youngsters putting up better pts at the same age. ASP has started great in Sweden, so we have to hope these 2 are really good, because like I said earlier with forwards, not many NHL stars who struggled to score in the AHL, like Kasper is for example.
You nailed it. Good NHL players didn’t spend significant time in the minors.

Reactions: FMichael

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Slice it how you want, he hasn't been good at all this year. He is responsible defensively that is about it. Last year he was finally starting to use his size a little more and forcing the issue in the offensive zone a bit just before he got hurt. There has been none of that this year from him.

Lalonde needs to learn that it is ok to mix up the lines, as the current ones have been bad for about the last 8 games as we have had bad games and bad periods in all of them. Yet no line shuffling really at all.
Yup, I had high hopes for Ras this year and the only step forward he has taken has been on the PK. Hoping he can start putting some offense together but it's crazy how Veleno is doing what Ras did last year while Ras is doing what Veleno did last year. Veleno has stepped it up on offense and is attacking.

Reactions: lgrws91

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Maddening to say the least. Sick and tired of the Lalonde/Blashill nice guy shtick if this is how it’s gonna go. Get a leader in here with some balls. I want a coach to come in and say our goal is to make the playoffs. Instead it’s an “idk, look at other teams, our division is tough, etc”.

Someone act like they give a f***. This organization has been soft for a decade and it shows on the ice. predictable

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO

Nyquist and Tatar didn't start the year with the Red Wings in 2013-14 because they still were obsessed with Dan Cleary. Remember Babcock's "tie goes to the veteran" philosophy?

Still remember when Nyquist was finally called up in late November and scored twice in his season debut.

Maddening to say the least. Sick and tired of the Lalonde/Blashill nice guy shtick if this is how it’s gonna go. Get a leader in here with some balls. I want a coach to come in and say our goal is to make the playoffs. Instead it’s an “idk, look at other teams, our division is tough, etc”.

Someone act like they give a f***. This organization has been soft for a decade and it shows on the ice. predictable

100% this. I'm so damn sick and tired of hearing Lalonde bloviate about how good the division is and how the Red Wings aren't "there" yet in his postgame pressers. How do you think the players feel in the room when they hear that?

I'm actually surprised that he didn't just start gushing about how good Nylander and Tavares are and that "well the Leafs are elite and we're not there yet" in his presser yesterday.

Reactions: raymond23

lgrws91

Jun 14, 2023

💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad