GDT: Game 16: CBJ @ ANA | 2/18 10:00 PM EST ‎

IHeartZherdev*

Bob is standing on his head tonight

This is true - in pretty much all of Bob's starts, he plays well enough to for us to have a chance to win (we obviously don't give him the offense). I hope this season doesn't hurt his confidence, I don't think his numbers reflect his play.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm the first to get excited about guys, just look at any of my posts about Artie. I just don't see why we as fans, or more importantly why our organization has so much undeserved patience with guys. How is Nikitn not benched?

I live in NJ, I just watched a Ranger game the other day where Brad Richards was sat for an entire third period. Accountability. Look at the Maple Leafs - Komisarek in the press box, John-Michael Liles in the press box for undrafted guys. Liles solid play from last year doesn't matter, Komisarek's contract doesn't, they aren't playing up to the standard, their out. Accountability.

We seem time after time a team scratch a player (Brian Boyle, Tyler Myers) to try to get them going or send a message. But we only scratch young guys. What has Aucoin done with his play to earn back in? Golubuf outplayed him and is back in the minors.

Look at how teams react to losing. Ryan Miller absolutely ripping his team, calling everyone out. The other day, Claude Giroux calling his team out. Kevin Dineen calls the Panthers out...yet, with the Jackets, guys play poorly, but they stay in the lineup and with plenty of ice. After losses, it's just "had some positives but need 60 minutes" over and over again.

Dubinsky seemed like the one guy at least trying to step up or be vocal, and of course now he's hurt

here you're right

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This game is just what you might expect looking at the Jackets roster.

We play hard, win a lot of puck battles and skate hard. We are dominating the neutral zone. We're passing well and have good positioning.

But then we turn the puck over in our zone too much and end up behind, and we don't have the talent to bury the chances that our hard work creates.

IHeartZherdev*

Well we have Erixon in the box. He can come in. Holden and Goloubef looked pretty good when they were up, and of course Johansen in the minors.

exactly - does Richards have a straight face when he tells Erixon he has to sit because Aucoin and Nikitin give us a better chance to win?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I do agree with this post. How Umberger and Nikitn haven't been benched yet is beyond me.

healthy players to replace them?

I guess you could send a message by starting someone like drazenovic over umberger, but who knows what umby is playing through or what the situation is behind the scenes. Probably a little more to it than, 'he sucks right now, bench him'.

and believe me, i understand that there's a lot of sucking going on, but benching isn't the only possible solution.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
At this point, with the Rangers, Kings and Jackets all drafting in the top 15 I wish the season would end today...

Three CBJ picks in the top 15 with JK at the desk could be a franchise game change..

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
This game is just what you might expect looking at the Jackets roster.

We play hard, win a lot of puck battles and skate hard. We are dominating the neutral zone. We're passing well and have good positioning.

But then we turn the puck over in our zone too much and end up behind, and we don't have the talent to bury the chances that our hard work creates.

You are exactly correct. We lack snipers....while we don't create enough chances, we have few who can bury it when the chance is there. (I'll get back to you once I figure out who the few might be).

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Tim Erixon, Ryan Johansen

Johansen is the A, Erixon is often overmatched. being a plus while being sheltered doesn't mean he can just be released out into the wild.

everyone screams about development, but then when the process actually happens, everyone wants those guys to play NOW. We can't have it both ways.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I'm the first to get excited about guys, just look at any of my posts about Artie. I just don't see why we as fans, or more importantly why our organization has so much undeserved patience with guys. How is Nikitn not benched?

I live in NJ, I just watched a Ranger game the other day where Brad Richards was sat for an entire third period. Accountability. Look at the Maple Leafs - Komisarek in the press box, John-Michael Liles in the press box for undrafted guys. Liles solid play from last year doesn't matter, Komisarek's contract doesn't, they aren't playing up to the standard, their out. Accountability.

We seem time after time a team scratch a player (Brian Boyle, Tyler Myers) to try to get them going or send a message. But we only scratch young guys. What has Aucoin done with his play to earn back in? Golubuf outplayed him and is back in the minors.

Look at how teams react to losing. Ryan Miller absolutely ripping his team, calling everyone out. The other day, Claude Giroux calling his team out. Kevin Dineen calls the Panthers out...yet, with the Jackets, guys play poorly, but they stay in the lineup and with plenty of ice. After losses, it's just "had some positives but need 60 minutes" over and over again.

Dubinsky seemed like the one guy at least trying to step up or be vocal, and of course now he's hurt

Well put. See? You can put together reasonable thoughts outside of blind hate. It serves you well. :)

IHeartZherdev*

Sorry for the long post - here is the Ryan Miller quote I was talking about, from the Pitt game:

“It’s just a [expletive] way to lose,†Miller told reporters, according to BuffaloHockeyBeat.com. “I don’t understand. Your guard has to be up at all times. They get right back in the game, one broken play to seal it for them. [It's] just preventable and not what we need to be doing right now.†Miller was eventually asked which of the four Penguins goals bothered the most. “Just [expletive] losing at the end,†he answered. “It’s 3-3, get overtime. It’s 3-2, [expletive] make him come all the way down, worked too hard. I don’t know. “I thought a couple of tough bounces to start, good goals by them, a tip and a play off the end wall. We recovered and we played really well It was our best second period we’ve had. … You’re either competent enough or experienced enough with the lead in the third period. It burned us. It’s not acceptable.â€

Here is an RJ quote after the EDM game we should have won:

"I’ve felt more involved lately, like it’s been coming along,†Umberger said. “It was good to finally get one, but the outcome kind of ruins it.â€

Here is an Aucoin quote from the Coytoes game:

“I’m not going to say it as an excuse, but whenever you lose top guys, it’s a big deal,†Blue Jackets defenseman Adrian Aucoin said. "The guys we've put in there have done a really good job for us. But one guy isn't going to replace your top guys. It takes two or three guys sometimes."

Eh, losing the game kind of ruins me scoring my first goal. Not to make excuses but here's an excuse.

Look, we don't have a super talented roster and no one is expecting tons of wins. But Aucoin and RJ have both (note the past tense) worn "A's" on their jersey...those are both embarrassing quotes from supposed veteran leaders.

CBJ have played well tonight in a tough road matchup. But I really do think there is a major attitude problem still lingering in that room, as far as the comfort level with losing. If we lose by one goal, instead of being overall happy that we hung with the Ducks, would love to see the guys pissed an vocal about it not acceptable to not bury the chances they had, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad