GDT: Game 16: CBJ @ ANA | 2/18 10:00 PM EST ‎

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Tough season dudes... I thought the CBJ would be better.. Gotta get a starter in goal, Bob and Mason have been ok but niether are NHL starting goalies right now..

Need more skill on offense and a better defense too.. JD and JK probably have the biggest rebuilding job in the NHL.. perhaps the biggest in the NHL over the past 10 years.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Anything can happen but for all intent and purpose this season playoff quest is over... I would suggest waiting until next season before jumping off the cliff.. It will take the new CBJ management some time to get the organization under control..

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Tough season dudes... I thought the CBJ would be better.. Gotta get a starter in goal, Bob and Mason have been ok but niether are NHL starting goalies right now..

Need more skill on offense and a better defense too.. JD and JK probably have the biggest rebuilding job in the NHL.. perhaps the biggest in the NHL over the past 10 years.

Bobrovsky ought to get the next start after tonight

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

From the things you mentioned(Legit starter, Offensive forward, I say we need a defensive defensemen so assuming that's what you mean), which is the first thing that needs to be fixed? Then what would be next?

For me it would be...
1)Forward
2)Goalie
3)Defense

Also for the goalie situation. In the off season, do you go after someone like Backstrom who probably has a year or two left in him? Sign him to a two year deal. Hope that Bobrovsky doesn't go to the KHL and remains in Columbus to be the backup. Hopefully Backstrom(or whoever) helps out Bob and then hope he is ready to be the starter once Backstrom's contract is up. Or do you go after someone like Luongo/Schneider, etc who has more then 2 years left in the tank and then ride them out for many years.

Any guesses to who would be available(goalie,forward,defense)? Heck if Semin becomes a UFA this SUmmer, would you want him? I know last Summer, some of the fans here wanted to stay away from him. What about now?

*Going to be hard to sign UFA's but Backstrom might not get a lot of multi years deal offers and we could be one of the few teams that could potentially offer him more then a year. Semin might go where the money is. If we offer some decent money, maybe he signs?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Cliff notes?

How the team needs to stop finding excuses and do it right every game and to learn how to win and not lose. Used example of his time in Springfield from last year to this year, where at the end of the year they set out to become a team who learned how to win and not be ok with losing, and although there were a few bumps i nthe road, you see the results down there right now and thats what they are starting to do in Columbus. He feels that they are doing alot of the right things, and that the team needs to keep positive when things aren't working out. Says the key is to keep building on the good things without taking steps back in other areas like they have in the past. Basically, this is a process of learning how to win, and they're in the thick of it right now.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh. The Jackets deserved at least a point from that game, maybe even two.

Why, why, why put Brassard out for the final face-off with 15 seconds left? Is there some kind of coaching decision to stop winning for MacKinnon?

While I know on paper the Jackets are completely outclassed by the Ducks forwards, they really didn't look that bad out there. Foligno had a great game. So did Calvert. Prospal has lost his quickness but he might have the best passing ability on the team.

Drazenovic lost far too many puck battles and was too slow getting to lose pucks in the offensive zone to be effective.

Sean Collins had a solid first game, his first shift might have been his best, but I don't get why he was out there with 2 minutes left when he seemed to have a major case of the nerves every time he touched the puck.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Ducks fan here (CBJ being my second team!). Thought I'd pop in with my thoughts.

Matt Calvert is awesome. He'll be a goodie! Foligno stood out as well.

Bobrovsky was awesome, he needs a veteran back-up to help him along the road to being a starter.

The D needs help. Badly.

Coaching is mediocre. Half the time it seemed as if the Jackets had no gameplan.

Great hustle and effort from everyone on the team.

Boll not as terrifying as he used to be. Dorsett needs to watch his emotions.

Overall, I felt the Jackets lacked an identity and lacked a gameplan. A lot of individual type of playing going on. Also, and I'll get hated for this, but I was not impressed with Jack Johnson but this is all from one game.

You guys were the better team tonight - the Ducks continue to play OK and pull out wins somehow.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The idea that we lack a game plan, and I agree with that, bothers me .... a lot.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Richards personnel decisions baffle me. He seems to have a knack for putting the wrong player in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Anything can happen but for all intent and purpose this season playoff quest is over... I would suggest waiting until next season before jumping off the cliff.. It will take the new CBJ management some time to get the organization under control..

I think this team is very much like an expansion team. For right now, as fans we need to look for the positives working hard and staying competitive. This thing does remind me of the 2000 version.

It's a shame the jackets are where they are, but as fans we will just have to look for the positive and watch the team grow up.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The CBJ team that eventually goes to the playoffs will have very few of these current players as a part of it.
As others have mentioned the coaching is lackluster, same with the goaltending (maybe Bob becomes a #1 here somewhere down the road, Mason will be gone), the forwards lack much skill (any number of guys could still be around filling out the bottom 6).
I guess in my mind about the only guys I foresee as being integral to the CBJ in 2 seasons is John Moore (he's not top 4 now but should be) and Jack Johnson. The rest are all very replaceable. I'm assuming other guys wil be around but in lesser roles.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Hard to execute a "gameplan" with so many injuries, a room full of guys who are still getting to know each other, and who had no real preseason and little practice time together. This type of season doesn't favor a team like the Jackets. Hell, I'm still struggling to match names and numbers!!

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
From the things you mentioned(Legit starter, Offensive forward, I say we need a defensive defensemen so assuming that's what you mean), which is the first thing that needs to be fixed? Then what would be next?

For me it would be...
1)Forward
2)Goalie
3)Defense

Also for the goalie situation. In the off season, do you go after someone like Backstrom who probably has a year or two left in him? Sign him to a two year deal. Hope that Bobrovsky doesn't go to the KHL and remains in Columbus to be the backup. Hopefully Backstrom(or whoever) helps out Bob and then hope he is ready to be the starter once Backstrom's contract is up. Or do you go after someone like Luongo/Schneider, etc who has more then 2 years left in the tank and then ride them out for many years.

Any guesses to who would be available(goalie,forward,defense)? Heck if Semin becomes a UFA this SUmmer, would you want him? I know last Summer, some of the fans here wanted to stay away from him. What about now?

*Going to be hard to sign UFA's but Backstrom might not get a lot of multi years deal offers and we could be one of the few teams that could potentially offer him more then a year. Semin might go where the money is. If we offer some decent money, maybe he signs?

It is going to be interesting to see how the whole free agent thing plays out with this team. JD keeps talking about building from the draft, brick by brick. But in one of the interviews he did with one of the Canadian sports shows he did mention "smart" UFA signings.

I think JMFJ has come back down to earth a bit this season. It looks like we are getting the guy that everyone warned us about. My big issue is that he and Wiz are not shut-down guys, and have never been advertised as such. On top of that, Toots, and Nikitin have not been shutting anyone down either. Our mix of D-men is going to need to be tweaked at some point.

Game last night was closer than I thought it would be, but I think teams are making us look better than we are.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Bob kept us in the game plain and simple. Turnovers are killing this team. Dorsett needs to be in the press box but we are short bodies. Nikitin is having rel issues playing on the right side. With all of that said we played great last night,

Our offense was crisp and hustled. We controlled tempo most of the night. A couple poorly called penalties, some non calls (like goalie interference on the second Ducks goal) and great saves by the Ducks and we win.

Bob needs to start the majority of our games.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think of it more as not yet having enough offensive talent to overcome being jobbed by the refs.

Oh no, did you just bring up LoFT without actually saying LoFT? Dangerous waters... Dangerous.

We are scoring 2.2 goals a game. What else do you want? I mean Letestu leads our forwards with a 25 minute prod, with Brass as the only other forward under 30 and we know he is just sublime at 5 on 5 play. Well, that is if you are the opposing team licking your chops to get your scorers on the ice with that guy.

I mean, come on, that screams awesome production.

In all seriousness, in Feb we have most of our forwards producing at acceptable clips or, in some cases, at an outstanding pace. To be fair, it was a bit skewed with the SJ game, but still. The most glaring split is that Brassard seems to be on the ice for damn near every goal scored on us. We could probably win more game if we only run him about 8 minutes of ES time and mostly have him in on the PP.

On a side note, Erixon really needs to be on the ice. He earned a spot.

To let you know how close we really are, we've lost this entire road trip by 1 goal games (the only 2 goal game was with an ENG). It would be nice to have more offense, but we know we are somewhat limited in that area. Our mistakes are hurting us worse than our goal scoring. When we make mistakes now, they are big ones that end up in our net.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Oh no, did you just bring up LoFT without actually saying LoFT? Dangerous waters... Dangerous.

We are scoring 2.2 goals a game. What else do you want? I mean Letestu leads our forwards with a 25 minute prod, with Brass as the only other forward under 30 and we know he is just sublime at 5 on 5 play. Well, that is if you are the opposing team licking your chops to get your scorers on the ice with that guy.

I mean, come on, that screams awesome production.

In all seriousness, in Feb we have most of our forwards producing at acceptable clips or, in some cases, at an outstanding pace. To be fair, it was a bit skewed with the SJ game, but still. The most glaring split is that Brassard seems to be on the ice for damn near every goal scored on us. We could probably win more game if we only run him about 8 minutes of ES time and mostly have him in on the PP.

On a side note, Erixon really needs to be on the ice. He earned a spot.

To let you know how close we really are, we've lost this entire road trip by 1 goal games (the only 2 goal game was with an ENG). It would be nice to have more offense, but we know we are somewhat limited in that area. Our mistakes are hurting us worse than our goal scoring. When we make mistakes now, they are big ones that end up in our net.

Great post.

Agree 100%.

Sick of people blaming the country club atmosphere. Mistakes and lack of offensive production outrank the phantom effort problem by a country mile in the hierarchy of the team's issues. I'm not sure what games thisismyalibai and others are watching.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Great post.

Agree 100%.

Sick of people blaming the country club atmosphere. Mistakes and lack of offensive production outrank the phantom effort problem by a country mile in the hierarchy of the team's issues. I'm not sure what games thisismyalibai and others are watching.

I don't see a country club atmosphere. I see a team struggling to find some type of identity. Having three 2 lines is not a problem for me as long as the team is consistent. Last night turnovers were our downfall.

Bob played outstanding, I can't state that enough.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why, why, why put Brassard out for the final face-off with 15 seconds left? Is there some kind of coaching decision to stop winning for MacKinnon?

I really didn't pay that much attention to who was on the ice at that time, I was distracted. I know Letestu was on the ice just previous (he ended up getting the puck on the top of the net if I remember correctly), did he sub out or something?

The reality is, our depth is really challenged right now up the middle, so his options are somewhat limited. If Dubi was healthy, he's in taking that face off.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Blaming officiating is the lamest excuse in the book (are you listening Bill Davidge?). This team is just simply not good enough. They busted their balls last night and they were still a day late and dollar short against a road weary Ducks team.

What this team is undergoing is not really a "rebuild", it's more of a build since it was never done right the first time or when Howson had a chance to hit the reset button. This year is going to blow. I'm not sure this team as constructed can win 20 games. Again, the lack of skill is desperately evident. This is the team that Howson assembled and the one that GMJK and POHOJD is going to have to fix. I believe that we finally have the right people on board to get the job done.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I really didn't pay that much attention to who was on the ice at that time, I was distracted. I know Letestu was on the ice just previous (he ended up getting the puck on the top of the net if I remember correctly), did he sub out or something?

The reality is, our depth is really challenged right now up the middle, so his options are somewhat limited. If Dubi was healthy, he's in taking that face off.

There was a line change, and Umberger and Brassard came out. I don't think Collins was out there. Umberger lined up on the right wing, right in front of the goal, so I'm guessing he was there to crash the net, but Brassard completely lost the draw.

As soon as I saw Brassard getting ready for the faceoff, I knew they'd lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad