GDT: Game 10: Coyotes @ Rangers | 4 PM | FS-A | 620 AM

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You know it's bad when you can't even get excited about a goal because you know within about a minute or so the other team is going to get it back anyway.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
It's getting harder to stay positive after tonights loss. Double digit loss streak. And one of our worst efforts against another struggling team after showing progress the last couple games.

At least we put together two promising lines (on paper). Let this 2nd line constellation gel a little and we might have two forward lines capable of providing some offense. Would prefer to switch domi and perlini though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chase the game sighting.

It was true in this game, though. From the puck drop, they didn't have any jump. Once Hill let in that softy, they were done.

I like that he is honest, positive, and focusing on the right things. He is quick to mitigate, both in terms of praise and direct questioning, which bodes well for him in the long run.

I just wish he had a goalie worth a damn. The conversation could be entirely different. Did anyone really expect OEL to play like dogshit? The amount of unexpected turmoil has been crazy.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Previously successful players did not make mistakes earlier because they did not do anything. When you do nothing, you can not make a mistake. They stayed and watched how the opponent throwing the puck in Smith.

I aggree, we need at least to try something different. Split the first line, because it lightweight line. And when you have your best players united in 1 line it is ease the job for opponent - they have to shutdown just one line.

Why not to try Strome at wing? Draisaitl was C but ended up at wing. Іt would be interesting to look at Domi - Stepan - Strome, for example.

Same for defence. Once upon a time D "The Great" T tried Nolan Yonkman for couple games. Why not to call up Campbell or Mermis and sit Demers for one game.

We cant just sit and wait for miracle.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Two things that I have read on here today so far that I just simply cannot fathom the stupidity of.

1. Fire Tochett after TEN GAMES. Are you freaking serious? First off, you're not going to eat his contract an fire him so soon. Second, he has not had his Starting goalie all season. And there is only so much he can do in practice to get these guys ready to play. He isn't on the ice during the games telling OEL and company to make shitty passes and play out of position. It's just a stupid idea.

2. Keller is not ready for the NHL??? hahahahah Wow. Of the goals he has been on the ice for this season, maybe three of them are partially his fault, and that includes the bad pass he made on the empty netter last night. The guy is a star in the making. If you can't see that, then you can f*** right off.

That being said, sure everyone had higher expectations of this team. But at the end of the day, we all pretty much knew this team wasn't going to make the playoffs. Things will get better, but don't expect a complete 180 degree turnaround.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
At this point I'd try him between the pipes.

Need a goalie to play a near error free game and we might get a win. Two of those goals are all on Hill.

Exactly. Good goalies make key saves in a games to keep your team in it, our goalies can't make a save. This is the worst display of goaltending that I have witnessed in years, and it's both our goalies. We have lost the game before it starts. If we win a game before Raanta gets back it will be a miracle.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Goaltending is absolutely a major issue - not trying to address it immediately and just waiting for Raanta to eventually get better, before addressing the issue is also ridiculous.

Goaltending - albeit a key - is only one of the problems. Sure last night Hill has got direct/sole responsibility on two goals, but the two key goals (1-0 and 3-1), were not on him.

What concerned me most yesterday was the level of effort, the incredible passivity in the first period for example.

This is 10 games of headless chickens defending, particularly from 4 Dmen with over 500 NHL games each; two are Stanley cup winners.

OEL is -12 and plays like a junior. Schenn and Demers have looked like pylons at times against relative opposing speed.

This team needs greater individual commitment, someone has also to lead and take charge or this team will enter in the history books for all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: rt

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
I know that you don't like it but you have to admit that I predicted all this exactly the way it's happening...not just regarding Keller.

I predict that you'll keep posting that you predicted everything. Like our high scorer isn't ready to play in the NHL, like last season's high scorer was done before we signed him, like Tobi "4 pts & a -6" Rieder is our best winger... change you're user name to Nostradamus cause your freakin' nailed it buddy.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My eyes are not good enough to read the chart. What do the x and y axis represent?

Shooting % on x-axis
Save % on y-axis

So, teams in the upper-right hand corner are considered "lucky" thus far by posting a high shot percentage, in addition to a high save percentage from their own goalie. Regression to the mean says these teams that are more lucky in the first 10 games to be unlucky in the future, much the same as we have been unlucky over the first 10 games and regression to the mean says we will have better shooting and save percentages.... eventually.... I think.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I predict that you'll keep posting that you predicted everything. Like our high scorer isn't ready to play in the NHL, like last season's high scorer was done before we signed him, like Tobi "4 pts & a -6" Rieder is our best winger... change you're user name to Nostradamus cause your freakin' nailed it buddy.
On the new forum, when you add someone to your ignore list, it "completely" removes them from your HF experience. They don't show up in quotes, etc. it's a much more thorough removal.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Shooting % on x-axis
Save % on y-axis

So, teams in the upper-right hand corner are considered "lucky" thus far by posting a high shot percentage, in addition to a high save percentage from their own goalie. Regression to the mean says these teams that are more lucky in the first 10 games to be unlucky in the future, much the same as we have been unlucky over the first 10 games and regression to the mean says we will have better shooting and save percentages.... eventually.... I think.

Thanks. With the Yotes, it's more than just unlucky.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Goaltending is absolutely a major issue - not trying to address it immediately and just waiting for Raanta to eventually get better, before addressing the issue is also ridiculous.

GMJC could probably acquire another teams backup that would be a huge upgrade, but at what cost? Maybe the best COA at this point is to address goal tending in the off season. If we were in the playoff race it would be a different story. Or just wait and pick one up on waivers...it will happen.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
I don't care about Calder...the team is losing and one of the main reasons for that is a one way forward who's not good enough to play in the NHL. Can't be -11 if you get 75% offensive zone starts. Period. I'd rather see other players get more offensive zone starts and easier matchups. Dvorak for example.

Keller may be everybody's darling but I couldn't care less. He should be in the AHL to learn how to play against men. It's not gonna help anybody if he sticks. He's not gonna develop his allround game like that. The only thing he learns is how to lose.
I swear I thought you were being sarcastic...in a league starved for offensive..all this guy does it score and you think he's not ready? Bahah

Work on your scouting abilities...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I do agree that we may be having different conversations with a goaltender that provides even average goaltending

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Not much for me to say about this game that hasn't already been said. Pretty much our season in a microcosm. I will say that was one of our less strong games... but if they hadn't spotted the Rangers 2 goals (horrible goaltending on at least 2 of them, let's be honest) then the Yotes might have been in it. But who really knows. All I can do is just be ready for the next game and hope the W finally comes. At this point I don't even know if I will feel happy or just say "Finally"! lol.

This team apparently really needs to get a backup goalie in place, though. Domingue has been proving that he's not going to cut it (even when Raanta is back). Which is unfortunate, since I always wanted him to be successful.

That chart posted pretty much sums up what I mentioned earlier in some thread... this team has had a really rough run of things (do you see a loswer save % on that chart? yikes) that won't stay AS bad forever. At some point, the goaltending should get better and hopefully the shooting percentage gets a bit better. Unfortunately, it's not unheard of for teams to have a full season of crazy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shooting % on x-axis
Save % on y-axis

Or not. This would be much more accurate if done with high danger chances. I don't know about those numbers but from what I saw, Coyotes are allowing waay too many odd man rushes. Yes, the goalies have let in some bad ones but it's not just them. The team has to be better. They have to work as five units (also against the puck which often isn't the case) and some turnovermachines need to be demoted. Way too many giveaways.

Can't call St.Louis lucky for example. Their numbers have been great ever since Yeo took over (have been bad before). Has to do with tactics and solid play. Surely Yeo isn't lucky.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad