Post-Game Talk: Game 10 - B's claw back to get one point - Columbus 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Well, I guess. He's spent the majority of his career on the wing though... and he's 40% in the faceoff circle for his career (400+ taken).
Schaller is not ideal, but he likely would have done a better job than Pasta at the end of the LA game preventing a clean faceoff win by the Kings.

Reactions: Bun cook

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Kevan Miller..8 hits
Debrusk..5 hits

Im liking these

McAvoy 4 hits, 29:19 minutes..was a -2 but damn...back to back almost 30 minute ice time games...so crazy how quickly he has arrived.

Carlo was very solid too.

Reactions: Blowfish

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The more I think about it, the more I'm sort of okay with the semi-controversial decision of Schaller in OT and Agostino in the shootout. Compared to my relatively low expectations for him at the start of the season, Schaller's done quite well, and exceeded my expectations, especially in the first game or two where a bounce the right way might have earned him a goal. I'm liking his play more and more as the year progresses.

And Agostino in the shootout...I'll admit, I had no idea what the hell was going on when I heard that. I thought Cassidy made a bad, bad mistake. And, yeah, he didn't score. But...this is one situation where I'll defer only to those who go to practices. The only way you can really know how a player does in shootouts is to watch him in shootouts - yeah, Agostino's not exactly my ideal Bruin, and definitely not someone I want on the ice in critical moments during a game. But I've never seen him in a shootout, and personally I'm not in awe of anyone's shootout skills on our team, save Marchand, and maybe Pasta. So...why not give Agostino a chance.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I didn't have a problem rolling out Schaller and Kuraly in OT. I think after the LA game, their plan from here on out is to always have a guy who can take the draw out on the ice.

Win or lose, I love watching 3 on 3 OT.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They're surviving. Hanging around in the conversation and giving themselves a chance.

Exactly

I was less than impressed with the first period, man was that awful. Just dug themselves into a hole with the penalties that the Jacket`s didn`t score on but just takes completely away from trying to develop any continuity.

Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room between periods as they came out and looked far more focused and composed from then on.

Battled hard to collect a point, 4/6 from 3 solid teams giving themselves chances in each to collect the W

I can`t find a reason for Vatrano to be on the ice any longer, on the flip side, I`m developing a disturbing man crush on Heinen

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
First off K.Miller has been fighting for his teammates since the start of last yr , he use to just to fight for himself but that changed a long time a go. Second of all Miller doesn't get to watch the replay before he decides how bad the hit was . Considering what happened earlier and what this hit looked like at first glance I was fine with his actions although we were very lucky Columbus got more than 2 minutes or our point might have went bye bye .

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The Good:

Lack of quit after getting down 3-0.

The kids are still alright. McAvoy, Heinen, DeBrusk, and Bjork look like they belong in the NHL.

Seeing Miller and Chara throwing down for teammates. Even if the Jackets scored on the ensuing PP, I would have been good with it. Big picture.

The Bad:

Secondary scoring has not been great with Krejci out. If they put 88 back with 63 and 37, it probably gets worse before it gets better.

There appears to be skilled people on the team. ID the best SO players and use them. I despise the SO, but for now it’s part of the game.

The refs and the NHL’s insistence on calling ridiculous stick infractions, but allowing boardings like the one on Postma (Ghost the other night) to go unpenalized. Seth Jones has one hand on the stick, Marchand gives his stick a tap, 1-2-3 one thousand, then Jones drops the stick. It gets called and negates a PP.

Rask needs to be better. He made some timely saves later in the game to keep them in it (Panarin), but a goalie of his caliber should have definitely had goal 2 and probably 1.

The Ugly:

The first period performance in this game and the lack of 60 minutes of good hockey in general in games. They have a lot of young guys and this stuff happens, but the B’s need to be more consistent.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The Good:

The kids are still alright. McAvoy, Heinen, DeBrusk, and Bjork look like they belong in the NHL.

Seeing Miller and Chara throwing down for teammates. Even if the Jackets scored on the ensuing PP, I would have been good with it. Big picture.

The Bad:

Secondary scoring has not been great with Krejci out. If they put 88 back with 63 and 37, it probably gets worse before it gets better.

There appears to be skilled people on the team. ID the best SO players and use them. I despise the SO, but for now it’s part of the game.

The refs and the NHL’s insistence on calling ridiculous stick infractions, but allowing boardings like the one on Postma (Ghost the other night) to go unpenalized. Seth Jones has one hand on the stick, Marchand gives his stick a tap, 1-2-3 one thousand, then Jones drops the stick. It gets called and negates a PP.

Rask needs to be better. He made some timely saves later in the game to keep them in it (Panarin), but a goalie of his caliber should have definitely had goal 2 and probably 1.

The Ugly:

The first period performance in this game and the lack of 60 minutes of good hockey in general in games. They have a lot of young guys and this stuff happens, but the B’s need to be more consistent.

Good post

That start bothered me as well. Not making an excuse here but taking what? 2-3 penalties shortly after that first goal just killed any chance to get the boys on the ice, the bodies warm and in the flow of things. So fortunate to escape that period not down 5-0

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
First off K.Miller has been fighting for his teammates since the start of last yr , he use to just to fight for himself but that changed a long time a go. Second of all Miller doesn't get to watch the replay before he decides how bad the hit was . Considering what happened earlier and what this hit looked like at first glance I was fine with his actions although we were very lucky Columbus got more than 2 minutes or our point might have went bye bye .

Miller did exactly what he should have, the fact that he got 27 minutes for throwing three punches is ridiculous but whatever, they need more guys like Miller wiling to step up, need them up front desperately

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
If only Backes and Beleskey played like they were still in St Louis and Anaheim the team would be in a very good spot. Schaller and Kuraly are playing above where they should be because of these two.

It irks me how badly these free agents are turning out.

They played hard and got a point, but need to start giving full 60 minute efforts. They just aren’t good enough to float and then play catch-up.

Thank god the rookies and young guys are playing decent as if they weren’t the team would be in big trouble.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Miller did exactly what he should have, the fact that he got 27 minutes for throwing three punches is ridiculous but whatever, they need more guys like Miller wiling to step up, need them up front desperately
Agree 100%. loved the fact that he stepped up immediately for a teammate.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
K Miller had a great game.
Guy is turning into a top 4 defenseman.

The offense needs some help.
Guys like Schaller Kuraly Augustino Nash and Vatrano not cutting it.
Need some creative guys like Cehlarik up here.
I think Vatrano needs more ice time to be honest with you. What he play 3 minutes last nite???

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
At the start of the year I expected us to atleast be a wild card team with the upside to finish as a top team in the division. Seeing how we've been hit with the injury bug early I'm fine with where we stand now.

However our depth scoring is a major issue. If Bergy, Pasta, or Marchand aren't scoring we aren't winning. That's not a recipe for success. Even with a healthy Krejci he can't do it on his own. Backes is nowehere to be found on the scoresheet. The rookies round out the top 9 nicely but we are still missing a consistent 50+ point scorer in our top 6. 5 of your top 6 players to be consistent NHL producers would be nice. If you are relying on the rookies to do that then you'll continue to live on the bubble. Backes brings other things but he clearly can't be relied on to score.

The youth infusion is great but it's still not enough to close the gap. We continue to plod around in world of 15th out of 30.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Good assessement.

I was disgusted by the Marchand slash call in the 1st on Jones. Since when did it become basically illegal to be hard on an opposing players stick.

I'm all about calling slashes to the hands and body.

But this crap with stick-on-stick, especially in today's age of feather-light composite sticks, needs to stop. Same thing the other night with Chara. If the stick doesn't break, it never gets called. If Jones doesn't drop his stick, that doesn't get called either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad