GDT: Game 1: Avs @ Rangers - Thursday, October 5th, 5pm MT - We Get Hockey Again!

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
The exciting thing for me, is the team doesn't seem to have found that much chemistry (yet), so I see a TONNE of potential in the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, that's one thing I absolutely hated. Seemed like a different defensive pair was out there every shift. First it was Barberio-EJ, then Nemeth-Barrie, then Bigras-EJ, then Mironov-Barrie, and on and on. Can't be doing that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Avs forwards tonight were particularly HORRIBLE when it came to clearing the puck on the PK. I get that MacKinnon does more good than bad, but surprised how much of a pass he gets by you lot here considering his disastrous clear for the Rangers first goal. Not only that, but I believe it was Jost or Neito who completely failed on the clear for the Rangers second goal. Every team is going to get a lot of penalties called due to the new rules (which I believe is to increase goal scoring), Avs have got to be stronger on the puck in these situations.

I went in on Mackinnon and just about every other person who couldnt clear the zone tonight. 5-6 posts atleast haha. I just dont get why its so difficult.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How was Yak?
Surprisingly, all of his highlights were passes, including a golden behind the back setup to Duchene that should have been a goal if not for Lundqvist's timely poke check. He's got undeniable chemistry on that line, which will make it all the sadder when Bednar inexplicably breaks it up by game 3.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So Mr Systems and Structure's solution this year is for the Avs to play fire wagon hockey and ask Varly to stand on his head. Ummm okay. :laugh:

That was fun to watch, but that kind of hockey they played tonight is not gonna hold up over 82 games. They got a lot to clean up. Or not, maybe they just run with it.

Might have something special in Kerfoot. Really impressed by his vision, and skills, and his motor to go along with it. He's got that X factor that separates the Tyler Johnson's from the TJ Hensick's.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Man, that was exciting game. AVS made too many mistakes but Varly has been phenomenal! Hope he will play like that and others will be better.
We need two or three changes before next game. Mironov, Nieto and maybe Comeau should sit Big Z, Soda definitely should get the chance to play. Mironov's mistakes and lack of communication could cost us a game and Nieto's stupid penalties gave Rangers a chance to win.

Good to see Duchene with some smile during interview with Dater and great to see Yak with some fantastic plays. Too bad Dutchy didn't score on that spin-o-rama pass.

member 116861

Yeah, that's one thing I absolutely hated. Seemed like a different defensive pair was out there every shift. First it was Barberio-EJ, then Nemeth-Barrie, then Bigras-EJ, then Mironov-Barrie, and on and on. Can't be doing that.

He did the same thing last year with the forwards, I was so confused when it first happened last year. I really don't understand this strategy at all.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I would send Mironov straight to the A so he can get used to the NA style of play and communication. He has potential, let him grow one more year as a top 4 D in SA.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Despite the fact that this roster won, I really want to see Nieto and Mironov out and Zadorov and Soderberg in. Both of those guys were pretty bad tonight. Nieto's penalties could/should have been very costly, and Mironov looked really out of his depth.
To be honest the less I see of Soderberg the happier I am. It always looks like he doesn't give a crap. Nieto wasn't good but I still prefer him over Soderberg.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I would send Mironov straight to the A so he can get used to the NA style of play and communication. He has potential, let him grow one more year as a top 4 D in SA.

He might not want to play in AHL. He only came because he had spot with NHL team. I think he will go back to Russia, If you send him down. Just deal with the growing pains now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The number of scoring chance Avs created with 26 shots compared to last year is big. Last year it was dump the puck in and chase, try for a low percentage shot from the point with no traffic. Now Avs tried to break open the defense with good passing and speed.

Still warty, but at least they make mistakes trying to play creative and fast hockey.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Just finished watching the entire replay on NHL TV ! That was a really exciting game ! The ending was a little reminiscent of what usually happened at the end of the games last year but I think the Avalanche will figure that out.

Bigras is the player who impressed me most throughout the game ! He was awesome ! Yak was very good too and that pass to Dutchy was an absolute beauty ! Nemeth didn't look out of place and got a nice assist. But I do hope they give Zads a spot soon.

Compher had a few great chances and was just unlucky. And well, Varly was our saviour again. Without him, we most certainly would have lost.

But I do very much like what we're seeing from the offence. That Mack/Rants duo is going to tear it up this year. Rantanen ready to snipe on the right side whenever we have PP time is going to be sweet. I have a feeling he's going to be racking up the points in that area.

Too many 2 on 1's for the Rangers. The Avs are going to have to be a bit more careful in that area of the game.

Other than that, excellent season opener and really fun to watch !

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
That was fun. Maybe replacing most of the slow and old players with faster and younger players will have a bigger impact than we thought. But there's still a lot of work to be done, they can't give up this many quality chances and expect to win.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I can't get over how small Kerfoot is. 5'10" seems awfully generous, as does the 158 pounds listed in his profile. Can't be more than 5'9" and 150 max. Nice first game, but boy I have a hard time getting over how tiny he is.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Larry Brooks on Varlamov last night:
The Rangers surely could have won this one. They outshot Colorado 39-26 and cobbled together a number of close-in chances against Semyon Varlamov, who seemed unsteady and unsure much of the night, but managed to make a handful of impressive point-blank saves when the game appeared there for the home team’s taking.

I feel like I watched different game, because I've never notice that Varly is unsure or unsteady. he was rock-solid.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/06/its-only-game-1-but-the-rangers-have-a-lot-to-clean-up/

Avaholic

Feb 27, 2017
Why is Jost in the NHL if he is playing 10min with virtually no PP time? He should be in the AHL when their season starts playing top line OFFENSIVE minutes. This is asinine. What a waste.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Why is Jost in the NHL if he is playing 10min with virtually no PP time? He should be in the AHL when their season starts playing top line OFFENSIVE minutes. This is asinine. What a waste.

Yeah, I agree ! Either they get him on a line with Landeskog and Compher or they should send him to the AHL where he can have 1st line minutes. Because with Comeau and Nieto, he's just going to waste his time. The last thing I want is for him to start picking up bad habits from his two linemates.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

Yeah, I agree ! Either they get him on a line with Landeskog and Compher or they should send him to the AHL where he can have 1st line minutes. Because with Comeau and Nieto, he's just going to waste his time. The last thing I want is for him to start picking up bad habits from his two linemates.

Guys you know that this was only ONE game, do you? He will be up the lineup as soon as the injury bug hits or other players fail to produce. Patience fellas, patience ...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Guys you know that this was only ONE game, do you? He will be up the lineup as soon as the injury bug hits or other players fail to produce. Patience fellas, patience ...

I totally agree it was one game and it shouldn't be a big deal right now, but with Jost's ability to have his contract slide, his role should be figured out sooner rather than later. By the 6-7-8 game, it should be clear if Jost is going to have a role on this team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Larry Brooks on Varlamov last night:
The Rangers surely could have won this one. They outshot Colorado 39-26 and cobbled together a number of close-in chances against Semyon Varlamov, who seemed unsteady and unsure much of the night, but managed to make a handful of impressive point-blank saves when the game appeared there for the home team’s taking.

I feel like I watched different game, because I've never notice that Varly is unsure or unsteady. he was rock-solid.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/06/its-only-game-1-but-the-rangers-have-a-lot-to-clean-up/

Why do this people bother covering hockey when they don't even know what's going on? They should change profession. Varly wasn't steady and unsure? He was the complete opposite.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Because Sakic didn't do his homework and get a proper bottom-six centre (Colin Wilson used to be a centre at times but not the 4th line reliable type). I'm guessing he tried doing an over-correction for the bad veteran FA signings from before.

I don't think 10 minutes on the 4th line to start the season is the worse thing for Jost tbh, I just think he needs better linemates if he has to play those.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What better linemate options are there though? It is a 4th line... they are usually comprised of rather poor players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad