GDT: Game 1: Avs @ Rangers - Thursday, October 5th, 5pm MT - We Get Hockey Again!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yakupov is our only true sniper. His hockey IQ is pretty low but he has all the tools in place to score those 30-40 goals a season.

Mackinnons IQ looked worse than Yak tonight. I will never understand how Mackinnon is incapable of clearing the puck. He can make the puck sing but he cant clear it out his zone when push comes to shove.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yakupov is our only true sniper. His hockey IQ is pretty low but he has all the tools in place to score those 30-40 goals a season.

We keep expecting this, and we're told it often enough, but the guy had been making the simple play from the offensive blue line back, and creating for his line mates forward of it all pre-season and now the same on opening night. We didn't even see that shot tonight.

He does not look like a dumb player right now.

Reactions: Tweaky

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought Jost looked bad. He's not in a great spot but he didn't help himself. Made poor decisions with the puck.

I don't think he is suited for a 4C role, and should be down in the AHL if that is his net 10 or so games. Ghetto was bad tonight and deserves a few mulligans, but if at game 6-7-8 he is still that bad, Jost should get a shot at that spot.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think he is suited for a 4C role, and should be down in the AHL if that is his net 10 or so games. Ghetto was bad tonight and deserves a few mulligans, but if at game 6-7-8 he is still that bad, Jost should get a shot at that spot.
That's certainly a possibility. There's a lot of things that can change in the top 9, but he has to play better himself.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

It really felt like his shortened pre-season and playing limited minutes made it hard for him to get in the game. His wingers killed a lot of momentum too.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We keep expecting this, and we're told it often enough, but the guy had been making the simple play from the offensive blue line back, and creating for his line mates forward of it all pre-season and now the same on opening night. We didn't even see that shot tonight.

I was honestly looking for a low IQ play everytime he was out there. I wanted him to pass earlier to Duchene and then he pulled out that behind the back Datsyuk pass to Duchene who I wished scored on that play just so it makes Sportscentre.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It really felt like his shortened pre-season and playing limited minutes made it hard for him to get in the game. His wingers killed a lot of momentum too.
While his wingers were not great... Jost was pretty awful himself. Didn't look like himself honestly.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There were a lot of penalties, which messes up ice time.

I'm fine with Duchene, Kerfoot and Yakupov getting easier minutes. Put them on in the offensive zone against third d pairings.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Yeah, he did not look dumb out there. If Duchene could have converted on that spin around pass by Yack, he would have another assist. Talent is there for sure, it will be so much fun to watch Yack play.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I've had to delete some posts with rather blatant attempts at circumventing the profanity filter, and this isn't because of the new boards.

Let's not get into a habit of doing that, believe it or not I don't enjoy handing out infractions...

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I didn't watch the whole game only about half the second and third, but my thoughts are:

-Varly 100% stole that game. Should have been a 6-3 Rangers game (at minimum) if not for him. Hands down first star.
-Our system looks sloppy and leads to chasing, missed coverage and loads of odd man rushes coming against us. I'm hoping it was just a sloppy first game, but I did not like what I saw.
-I thought Barrie was our second best player and made a ton of plays in both our zone and there's. If he can keep that up he'll easily become our number 1 dman.
-Bigras also had a solid game and looked like he belongs in the NHL. If he can consistently play that well and continue to learn from his mistakes, he will become a solid top4 dman.
-I didn't overly like what I saw from our forward group, some great individual plays, but most of our opportunities came off the rush. I want to see more sustained zone time, more tape to tape passes and more from MacK and Rant

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Despite the fact that this roster won, I really want to see Nieto and Mironov out and Zadorov and Soderberg in. Both of those guys were pretty bad tonight. Nieto's penalties could/should have been very costly, and Mironov looked really out of his depth.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I didn't watch the whole game only about half the second and third, but my thoughts are:

-Varly 100% stole that game. Should have been a 6-3 Rangers game (at minimum) if not for him. Hands down first star.
-Our system looks sloppy and leads to chasing, missed coverage and loads of odd man rushes coming against us. I'm hoping it was just a sloppy first game, but I did not like what I saw.
-I thought Barrie was our second best player and made a ton of plays in both our zone and there's. If he can keep that up he'll easily become our number 1 dman.
-Bigras also had a solid game and looked like he belongs in the NHL. If he can consistently play that well and continue to learn from his mistakes, he will become a solid top4 dman.
-I didn't overly like what I saw from our forward group, some great individual plays, but most of our opportunities came off the rush. I want to see more sustained zone time, more tape to tape passes and more from MacK and Rant

We should be just fine. This team has 90 percent of it's pieces in place to be a contender. I few trades here and there, a few wire signings, a few UFA signings. We are a year or two away from solving this puzzle. If Varly can play like this then we have a chance to be a playoff team.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I agree 100% and do have high hopes for this team, but I just do not like our system and do not have faith in our head coach. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but if we do trade Duchene and get first overall in the draft I am expecting a lot for 2018-2019.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
At least the shots at ES were pretty even.

We just got killed on the 6 PKs.

member 116861

Matt "Blake Comeau" Nieto has to be better and smarter. Mironov looked really bad out there and Chris Bigras looked shaky as well. Patrik Nemeth was a pleasant surprise, he looked really steady out there.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Matt "Blake Comeau" Nieto has to be better and smarter. Mironov looked really bad out there and Chris Bigras looked shaky as well. Patrik Nemeth was a pleasant surprise, he looked really steady out there.

You are the only one I've seen say that about Bigras. I can't really disagree more. Bigras was outright impressive, and Bednar mentioned him unprompted after being asked about how good EJ was.

member 116861

You are the only one I've seen say that about Bigras. I can't really disagree more. Bigras was outright impressive, and Bednar mentioned him unprompted after being asked about how good EJ was.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm not saying he didn't have his moments which he did, just overall I felt uncomfortable with him on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad