GDT: Game 1: Avs @ Rangers - Thursday, October 5th, 5pm MT - We Get Hockey Again!

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Larry Brooks on Varlamov last night:
The Rangers surely could have won this one. They outshot Colorado 39-26 and cobbled together a number of close-in chances against Semyon Varlamov, who seemed unsteady and unsure much of the night, but managed to make a handful of impressive point-blank saves when the game appeared there for the home team’s taking.

I feel like I watched different game, because I've never notice that Varly is unsure or unsteady. he was rock-solid.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/06/its-only-game-1-but-the-rangers-have-a-lot-to-clean-up/

It’s the ny post. It might as well be the enquirer.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Echoing the consensus, some players had rough games, but Mironov flat out looked out of place. Slow with stone hands.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
When they lift the cup up in June, I'll still refuse to think this will be a decent team.

Anyway, only saw the recap. Looked like we were way outplayed. But a win is good I guess.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
When they lift the cup up in June, I'll still refuse to think this will be a decent team.

Anyway, only saw the recap. Looked like we were way outplayed. But a win is good I guess.

Not really... The Avs had plenty of chances and the Rangers only threatened on the PP. It was a pretty even game.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
How was Yak?

Good. I believe he had the 2nd assist on Duchene's goal and he was noticeable throughout. I even saw him scrapping in the defensive zone down low, something I thought he had been dinged for not doing in the past. I want to say he played a small part in the GWG as well, charging up the middle to keep the defense and Lundqvist busy, leaving Kerfoot to set up a wide-open Tyson Barrie.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Clearly better... because they had more shots 5v5. Remind me, how did they score their two goals?

Ya that's a great argument you have...

Varlamov was the only reason the Rangers didn't score any even strength goals. They had countless opportunities from point blank.

Both teams had some bad moments and both teams had some good moments. But the Rangers had more of the good moments and the Avs had more of the bad moments. At the end of the day our goaltender did a better job then the Rangers goaltender. A win is a win but if the Avs keep playing like that all year we're either going to find ourselves in the bottom 2-3 teams again, or Varlamov is finally going to win a Vezina.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I watched the game too, it wasn't nearly as lopsided as you're implying.
What do you mean by "as I'm implying"?
I'm saying the eye test matched the stats, that's all. I think it was equally as lopsided as the shot stats showed.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
http://www.nhl.com/stats/enhanced

This is a stat that tracks a teams shot% when the game is close.

What they classify as "close" is when the game is within 1 goal, or when the game is tied in the 3rd period.

So for last night this would have excluded the entire 3rd period, and the brief period when the Avs were up 2-0. But for about half the game the Avs were the higher shooting team.

Basically what this stat(Along with Cousin Eddie's stat) should tell us, is that the Avs controlled the play until they had a lead. But when they got a lead the Rangers upped the pressure and the Avs had basically no answer. It's not a huge surprise and I think supports the eye test quite well.

Avs have to do a better job at playing with a lead. It was a huge issue last year(The few times when we had a lead anyway) and was an issue in game 1 of this year.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
They're not making the playoffs, but if Varly keeps playing like this they're not picking top 5 either.

This is what bugs me. :laugh: Varly is going to go into "brick wall" mode for the entire season and we'll get one of those spots just outside the playoffs.

Deep down inside of me, I want the young guys to do well this year but at the same time I also want a Top 5 draft pick in 2018 :naughty:. I just feel we could be so much more dangerous with that one last defensive stud.

Bigras looks like he's going to turn out well, Zads seems like he's going to turn into a good 2nd pairing guy. We've got Makar and Timmins coming up. Adding another defensive stud to that mix would be more than awesome !

Anyhoo, sort of torn between two sides. I want to see the young guys excel and I want a Top 5 pick.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Haha, so because the Avs didn't have more shots while playing with the lead, they got outplayed... They outshot the rangers in the second and scored the only goal. Clearly the Avs were outplayed. Didn't allow a third period goal, OUTPLAYED. Only allowed PP goals, OUTPLAYED!

Not sure why posters on the Avs board want to say they got outplayed so badly, they clearly didn't. Not according to an eye test.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Haha, so because the Avs didn't have more shots while playing with the lead, they got outplayed... They outshot the rangers in the second and scored the only goal. Clearly the Avs were outplayed. Didn't allow a third period goal, OUTPLAYED. Only allowed PP goals, OUTPLAYED!

Not sure why posters on the Avs board want to say they got outplayed so badly, they clearly didn't. Not according to an eye test.
Soderberg's eye test maybe.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think the Avs looked promising yesterday. Our forwards look clearly a step above what we had to start the last season (with the caveat that after game1 last season, Colborne was on pace for 250 goals....)

But lets face it...

Rangers would have won easily if not for Varlamov saving our butts time after time after time...

Loved it yesterday.

Hope it won't continue for the rest of the season...

Having to rely on Varly stealing 15-20 games in order to have a shot at the playoffs is not a very promising strategy when it comes to setting up your team for longterm success...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
chart.png

That's the shot attempts 5v5 last night.

Again, relatively close game until the 3rd period, where the Rangers took over.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

He'll probably be on the first pairing with EJ because that's how we roll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->