Value of: Gallagher to the Oilers

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You're confusing point production with best player.
Malkin had more points than Crosby.
Wheeler had more than Scheifele.
Barzal more than Tavares
Etc etc.
To call Gallagher the Habs best player is a statement made to argue that his perceived value is higher than it actually is.

No, Gallagher was absolutely the best player in the team this year although Petry gives him a run for his money. In a year where the whole team was a disaster, Gallagher managed to bounce back from a couple of seasons distracted by injuries, was the real leader of the team and despite not having the most offensive linemates (Plekanec, ugh) he was still the leading scorer of the team. We have players that 'should' be better than him but this year none of them showed up.

He is also only 25 and signed for a couple of more years so no, we aren't looking to trade him.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Ya man, you wouldn't want to move a player after an unusual spike in his trade value.

What's unusual about a 25 year old forward entering his prime seasons getting his first 30-goal campaign?

Nothing suggests that he can't repeat or do better. He scores goals by being one of the hardest working players in the league and a pain in the *** around the crease. That's sustainable.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Hard to know for sure what value a 9th overall pick has because high picks especially top 10 picks are hardly traded. Stepan got 7th overall pick last season. I would say Stephan has more value that Gallagher. If you are using trade as a Guideline then Mon does get more value in this trade.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
What's unusual about a 25 year old forward entering his prime seasons getting his first 30-goal campaign?

Nothing suggests that he can't repeat or do better. He scores goals by being one of the hardest working players in the league and a pain in the *** around the crease. That's sustainable.

I bet he's 25 goals or less next year. You in?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You're confusing point production with best player.
Malkin had more points than Crosby.
Wheeler had more than Scheifele.
Barzal more than Tavares
Etc etc.
To call Gallagher the Habs best player is a statement made to argue that his perceived value is higher than it actually is.

He wasn’t Habs bedt player but he sure as hell was the most consistent this year. We’re not looking to trade our best RW who is on an excellent contract for draft picks. Gallagher is a no go.

No, Gallagher was absolutely the best player in the team this year although Petry gives him a run for his money. In a year where the whole team was a disaster, Gallagher managed to bounce back from a couple of seasons distracted by injuries, was the real leader of the team and despite not having the most offensive linemates (Plekanec, ugh) he was still the leading scorer of the team. We have players that 'should' be better than him but this year none of them showed up.

He is also only 25 and signed for a couple of more years so no, we aren't looking to trade him.

This is somewhat true. We’re not trading him. He’s simply not available regardless of his perceived market value. We can’t buy ourselves another Gallagher so let’s just keep him

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I bet he's 25 goals or less next year. You in?

Depends on the direction the team is taking... But if he is 25 or less next year, he can go back to 30 the season after. No player presents the exact same numbers each and every year. But if your point is ''he is not a 30 goals scorer'', meh. I disagree because he just did.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Depends on the direction the team is taking... But if he is 25 or less next year, he can go back to 30 the season after. No player presents the exact same numbers each and every year. But if your point is ''he is not a 30 goals scorer'', meh. I disagree because he just did.

My point is that it's a one off. I'm saying that there's very little chance he'll score 30 again.
If you think it's progression of his career then you'll have not issues putting some real money on it

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I'd do Strome + 9th overall in a heartbeat. I love Gally, the kid has heart and soul, however his importance to the Habs makes his value more difficult to determine hence why so many whack proposals

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Gallagher has scored 30 goals one freaking time..... So can we play the overrating game for RNH as well and say that he was on pace for 32 goals this season and plays a more important position?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
My point is that it's a one off. I'm saying that there's very little chance he'll score 30 again.
If you think it's progression of his career then you'll have not issues putting some real money on it

And you base that on what exactly?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton isn't going to offer Strome or Hopkins because it just creates another hole.

Russell + 9th might be the best offer you'd get out of Edmonton.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Edmonton isn't going to offer Strome or Hopkins because it just creates another hole.

Russell + 9th might be the best offer you'd get out of Edmonton.
Well if true than it's good to know that Gallagher won't be playing for the Oilers.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
goals per 82 game season
2012-13 - 18.6
2013-14 - 19.2
2014-15 - 24
2015-16 - 29
2016-17 - 12.8
2017-18 - 31

career avg is 22.4

Because it makes sense to include seasons from five years ago to that when he was a completely different player. Drai is averaging ~63 points per 82 games in his career so he'll never score 70 again. Is that how it works?

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
goals per 82 game season
2012-13 - 18.6
2013-14 - 19.2
2014-15 - 24
2015-16 - 29
2016-17 - 12.8
2017-18 - 31

career avg is 22.4

lol what a ridiculous assessment, especially considering that you can't count since he score d15 in 44G in 2012-2013 which would be 28 in a 82 games season. Also in 2015-16 Gallagher broke his hand receiving a shot and the same thing happened the year after which clearly affected is scoring in 2016-17.

Also look at his junior career, Gallagher has always been a goal scorer, 3 consecutive 40 goals season with the last scoring 41 in 54 games.

You won't like it but Gallagher's progression is very similar to Marchand's

Reactions: Runner77

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Because it makes sense to include seasons from five years ago to that when he was a completely different player. Drai is averaging ~63 points per 82 games in his career so he'll never score 70 again. Is that how it works?
Don’t waste your time on this one, you’re only going to get selective stats in return

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
lol what a ridiculous assessment, especially considering that you can't count since he score d15 in 44G in 2012-2013 which would be 28 in a 82 games season. Also in 2015-16 Gallagher broke his hand receiving a shot and the same thing happened the year after which clearly affected is scoring in 2016-17.

Also look at his junior career, Gallagher has always been a goal scorer, 3 consecutive 40 goals season with the last scoring 41 in 54 games.

You won't like it but Gallagher's progression is very similar to Marchand's
Funny I used Marchand as a comparable progression a couple of years ago, he’s just a cleaner version of and without the linemates

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

We have a large enough sample size to know what Gallagher is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad