Value of: Gallagher to the Oilers

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If we’re taking linemates into account it’s worth mentioning that RNH was on a 60 point pace before playing with McDavid - he was stapled to Lucic before that.

Strangely, Lucic was about as useful as pants to a fish after RNH got hurt and subsequently moved up after he got healthy. Hrm.
There's that buzz word again, Chucky was on pace for 75 pts last year when he was our #1C before he got injured, is he worth Draisaitl?
Or is he a 50 pt winger with upside?

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I don't mind the Strome + 9th overall offer but i'd probably go down a similar trade to what was worked before between the oilers & the habs (Subban-Hall).

Assuming both teams don't move at the draft by more than +/- 1 position.

EDM:
4th overall pick
57th overall pick
Brendan Gallagher
David Schlemko

MTL:
9th overall pick
40th overall pick
Nugent-Hopkins

I threw in Schlemko to even out the salaries mostly, albeit Edmonton would still be saving a bit.

Reasoning:
Edmonton gets a RHD RW able to play on their top two lines in top of getting another top end winger from early in the draft.

Montreal gets a 2C, and first dibs at the best C available in this draft + move up in the second round for an overall better rebuild to take place.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You want to value players on prorated stats that's your right, I'm not paying for what they could do if they stay healthy

I have no problem if someone wants to say Gally is a 45-50 pt winger, 2 years ago he was on pace for 62, he's missed a lot of time since so I'm not on here saying he's a 65 pt winger

As I said a few posts back pace means nothing, at the end of the day I'm getting 45 pts/yr if I trade for RNH so that's what I value him at, if I was actually getting 55-65 then he's more valuable and likely not available
This is such an odd post considering that Nuge has 2 seasons where he scored 56 points. He's had 2 injury riddled seasons and a down year over his last 3, but there's no doubt he's capable of scoring 55 points any given year when he's healthy. If RNH is a 45 point player then Gallagher is a 40 point winger.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I don't mind the Strome + 9th overall offer but i'd probably go down a similar trade to what was worked before between the oilers & the habs (Subban-Hall).

Assuming both teams don't move at the draft by more than +/- 1 position.

EDM:
4th overall pick
57th overall pick
Brendan Gallagher
David Schlemko

MTL:
9th overall pick
40th overall pick
Nugent-Hopkins

I threw in Schlemko to even out the salaries mostly, albeit Edmonton would still be saving a bit.

Reasoning:
Edmonton gets a RHD RW able to play on their top two lines in top of getting another top end winger from early in the draft.

Montreal gets a 2C, and first dibs at the best C available in this draft + move up in the second round for an overall better rebuild to take place.
So Montreal gives up the 2 most valuable pieces to dump Schlemko's contract and move up in the 2nd when we already have 2 early 2nds, no thanks

Reactions: CDN24

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This is such an odd post considering that Nuge has 2 seasons where he scored 56 points. He's had 2 injury riddled seasons and a down year over his last 3, but there's no doubt he's capable of scoring 55 points any given year when he's healthy. If RNH is a 45 point player then Gallagher is a 40 point winger.
I'd put more weighting on the current season but sure, IF RNH is healthy and IF he doesn't have a down year he's a 55 point player, I'll concede that
I should pay for IFs?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There's that buzz word again, Chucky was on pace for 75 pts last year when he was our #1C before he got injured, is he worth Draisaitl?
Or is he a 50 pt winger with upside?

Pace matters as long as the timeframe is appropriate. RNH was on an 85 point pace with McDavid but ~60 points would have been a reasonable expectation if he was healthy. He and Gallagher have similar injury history, interestingly.

Let me get this straight, Galchenyuk is a 50 point player with upside but RNH despite hitting 50 points three times in his career and owning a much better career PPG (.68 for Nuge vs .61 for Galchenyuk) is some finished product 40-45 point C?

Cmon now, at least use the same brush when you’re trying to paint players. RNH is only 25 - 10 months older than Galchenyuk. Habs fans love to toot the upside horn with guys like Galchenyuk but if you’re going to do that you have to do the same for other players the same age.

Last edited:

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
So Montreal gives up the 2 most valuable pieces to dump Schlemko's contract and move up in the 2nd when we already have 2 early 2nds, no thanks

Dude. if you go full rebuild, that's a move that makes perfect sense for both teams.

Edmonton is sorely lacking scoring from the wings that are on cheap contracts (which a top end ELC and Gallagher are). They also need defensive options, which Schlemko can be at a cheap price.

Montreal hasn't had a 1C in 20 years, hasn't had a 2C since Plecanek 5 years ago. This gives them a 2C AND the best C available in this draft which will be a 2C with 1B potential. Going forward Montreal would be much better off with a Nuge, Poehling, (Veleno/Kotkaniemi) center depth than a "Danault, Poehling, De La Rose". Plus this is a deep draft, plenty of 2-3Cs will be available around the 35-40th selection. Having 3 selections around there increase MTL's odds at finding one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd put more weighting on the current season but sure, IF RNH is healthy and IF he doesn't have a down year he's a 55 point player, I'll concede that
I should pay for IFs?
RNH's down year is still on par with the majority of Gallagher's seasons though. So by that same logic, IF Gallagher has a career year and IF he doesn't get injured then he's not a 40 point winger.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
RNH's down year is still on par with the majority of Gallagher's seasons though. So by that same logic, IF Gallagher has a career year and IF he doesn't get injured then he's not a 40 point winger.
Agreed, except he just had his career year and did not get injured so I wouldn't sell him as a 40 pt winger, if someone wants to think of him as one based on the last 3 years I have no problem with that cause that's what he was - the further you move away from the high point the less it means

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Agreed, except he just had his career year and did not get injured so I wouldn't sell him as a 40 pt winger, if someone wants to think of him as one based on the last 3 years I have no problem with that cause that's what he was - the further you move away from the high point the less it means
I could understand this line of thinking if it was about a player approaching 30 or older and was potentially declining, but at RNH or Gallagher's age I think you'd be a lot smarter to look at a larger sample than just the last year when trying to gauge what a player might do going forward.

I know you've dismissed the point per game idea, but to dismiss RNH as a 45 point centre when he just put up 48 in 62 games seems quite silly, just like I think its silly to call Gallagher a 40 point winger when 2 of this last 3 seasons were on pace for much more (I'm willing to give him a pass on last season just like I'd give Nuge a pass on last season).

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
RNH is going on 1000+days of being a 45 pt/season C but yet is a 60 pt C which he has never hit

Yet again, RNH is prorated 60+ points over 82 games 3 times in his career.
Don't let facts stand in the way though.

Nobody is overvaluing Nuge. But if you think and avg winger fetches an average centre, then at least one of us is doing some overvaluing here

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
According to your interpretation of the stats his high water mark is 62 pts so we will just round that up to 65pts, or does pace and personal bias only count for Edmonton players?

He just got 54 pts with what you've told us is the worst C depth in the league, just imagine him with an actual Top 6 C

Can't wait to see how you twist the facts in your response

I like Gallagher. I'm just not swapping out Nuge for him. In fact, I bet Nuge is a better winger than Gallagher too.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Edmonton is sorely lacking scoring from the wings that are on cheap contracts

Nuge is a better bet on the wing than Gallagher.
Schlemko isn't needed, and the Oilers aren't trading down pick to get Gallagher who isn't in the same league as Nuge.
If Nuge is dealt it'll be for a much better return from another team with center needs.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Dude. if you go full rebuild, that's a move that makes perfect sense for both teams.

Edmonton is sorely lacking scoring from the wings that are on cheap contracts (which a top end ELC and Gallagher are). They also need defensive options, which Schlemko can be at a cheap price.

Montreal hasn't had a 1C in 20 years, hasn't had a 2C since Plecanek 5 years ago. This gives them a 2C AND the best C available in this draft which will be a 2C with 1B potential. Going forward Montreal would be much better off with a Nuge, Poehling, (Veleno/Kotkaniemi) center depth than a "Danault, Poehling, De La Rose". Plus this is a deep draft, plenty of 2-3Cs will be available around the 35-40th selection. Having 3 selections around there increase MTL's odds at finding one.
If we go rebuild Nuge makes no sense for us, keeping our 4th makes sense for us and go BPA, wait for next year when the C crop is better

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yet again, RNH is peorated 60+ points over 82 games 3 times in his career.
Don't let facts stand in the way though.

Nobody is overvaluing Nuge. But if you think and avg winger fetches an average centre, then at least one of us is doing some overvaluing here
If you haven't figured out prorating means nothing to me yet I can't help you

An average centre doesn't help us so I'll stick with my cheaper average winger who most recently had the better season

Reactions: Deam78

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pace matters as long as the timeframe is appropriate. RNH was on an 85 point pace with McDavid but ~60 points would have been a reasonable expectation if he was healthy. He and Gallagher have similar injury history, interestingly.

Let me get this straight, Galchenyuk is a 50 point player with upside but RNH despite hitting 50 points three times in his career and owning a much better career PPG (.68 for Nuge vs .61 for Galchenyuk) is some finished product 40-45 point C?

Cmon now, at least use the same brush when you’re trying to paint players. RNH is only 25 - 10 months older than Galchenyuk. Habs fans love to toot the upside horn with guys like Galchenyuk but if you’re going to do that you have to do the same for other players the same age.
RNH is a 45 ptC with upside
That doesn't excite me sorry

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
No, you don’t get to call Galchenyuk a 50 point winger and RNH a 45 point C when RNH has more 50 point seasons and a better career PPG.
Don't care about PPG but sure Chucky is a 45 pt winger with upside and RNH is a 45 pt C with upside if that helps

Based on the pace RNH was on with McDavid you're better off keeping him on the wing and finding a cheap 3C and hope he stays healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad