Value of: Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st for a center

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
Watch it. Habs fans believe Galchenyuk > Scheifele, Little, Roslovic, Dano, and Armia combined.

Actually most of us don't live under a rock. Scheifele's production in the last 82 GP is nearly at McDavid's. Scheifele's quietly become one of the best players in the league.

I'd like you to find one Habs fan that wouldn't move Galchenyuk for Scheifele in a heartbeat.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
1. A one time 30 goal scorer, not even 30+. Not on pace for 30 this year assuming he played the full season.

2. Can easily turn into Tyler Myers or Ryan McDonagh. Can go either way.

Habs management would be insane not to do that deal for anyone on that above list, but like I said, your package wouldn't get any of them anyways.

Habs and Leafs fans take the cake for overrating their players. Outside of Price, the Habs have a lot of meh. Leafs atleast have some holy crap players in their pool.

Oh hey, a 22 year old 'one time' 30 goal scorer. What a disappointment.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Bozak + JVR for a decent package this off season to help you guys go further after you lose in 4 to the rags. Weber isn't getting any younger and price needs a reason to stay

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Bozak + JVR for a decent package this off season to help you guys go further after you lose in 4 to the rags. Weber isn't getting any younger and price needs a reason to stay

We'd rather you keep them so we can add to the 14 straight games we've won against you.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Giroux in Montreal would be a cool fit. But even as a leafs fan, I think the OP'S offer is way too much.

Galchenyuk + Sergechev for Giroux + Couturier.

**Both teams fans get angry**

Honestly I think philly fans are tired of giroux/couts and Habs fans want to get better asap so this isn't a bad proposal. Maybe Montreal adds a 2nd rounder or something.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary

Unless New York doesn't plan to start Lundqvist in the playoffs, the odds of this are slim to none.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's not like bringing a top 6 center would make the Habs win now.. or in the near future.

Maybe, maybe not. Not getting a top 6 center should trigger a rebuild, however. We've been sitting and waiting on a really good core for years now, never acquiring the assets to push us over the top. We should at least try.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Lmao. Your first sentence discredits your whole post.

2013 - rookie played C/LW with Prust-Gallagher. Montreal had DD-Plekanec-Eller down the middle.

2013-14 - played LW with Pleks-Gallagher. Same 3 down the middle.

2014-15 - Desharnais became the problem with MT's usage. Galchenyuk under utilized even at wing.

2015-16 - Galchenyuk plays C from Desharnais injury on, goes near PPG when moved to C.

2016-17 - Galchenyuk starts season as 1C. PPG until injury. Came back, struggled a bit.

It was never abilities that didn't let him play C. It was a GM **** up on the Desharnais extension & the ex coach with his obscure love for Desharnais that stalled his development at C.

After the lockout year, Montreal should have stepped away from Desharnais. Ran Plekanec-Galchenyuk-Eller down the middle. Instead the GM handed Desharnais a 4 year extension which was enough justification for Therrien to keep him there despite lack of production and abilities at both ends.

It was never about Galchenyuk's abilities when it came to playing C. It still isn't that. He's been better at C than wing for a better part of a season now. Stats back it up.

You can try and blame poor management, but Galchenyuk has not been able to cut it at Centre. He hasn't been able to take the job from garbage like DD doesn't add to your argument. If he was as good as you think, he'd have been playing 1C despite whatever contract DD has.
I agree, he puts up points, at C or W. But he can't stay in the centre position because his defensive play is poor, and he is bad at face-offs. Points is not the only factor. You say stats back it up, but MTL has the puck less when Galchenyuk is on the ice during this small sample you want to use to justify his being 1C.
You're hoping he makes it. I'm saying there are large question marks this far into a career not being able to stick at C.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's hilarious you say struggled "a bit"

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Honestly I think philly fans are tired of giroux/couts and Habs fans want to get better asap so this isn't a bad proposal. Maybe Montreal adds a 2nd rounder or something.

Its actually a terrible proposal. Even if we are 'tired' of the two players, that doesn't mean their value goes out the window. Sergachev is a nice piece, but LD is the least of our needs. We'd have to turn around and flip him or one of our other high-potential LDs for forward help before the ink was even dry on this trade.

Nevermind the fact that after making this trade, we have Galchenyuk and Flip as our only two legitimate centers. And seeing as how people are questioning Galchenyuks ability to play a two way game and remain at center, that's not going to go over well.

The team has a terrible defense and are having a bad year, and i'm ok with that. Most of us realize our team will be bad until our D prospects begin hitting their stride. Provorov stepping right in and playing like a #1 will help expedite that process, but realistically, most of us dont expect to be competitive next year either.

If you want to create a package for Giroux, there are some Flyers fan who may listen. But realistically, we don't have the depth to move him, and especially not in a deal that moves both of our Top 6Cs in the same deal.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Scheifele is the best for my guess but I can't see a scenario where the Jets would get rid of him. Other options may be Granlund+, or maybe Tavares for a year

member 157595

I'm not going to read the whole thread, but there is a problem with the premise.

Montreal is offering a very significant amount in this hypothetical trade. There are definitely players that are easily worth this and more, but these players are simply unavailable in the first place. Therefore, while you're offering serious value in trade, it takes two to tango and the players that are actually worth this return are simply not available for trade except in rare circumstances.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Bozak is another Desharnais no matter what Leaf fans say, and JVR is so freaking overrated it's crazy. Also, 48 year old Weber>any current Leafs defenseman.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Galchenyuk is a great player, but Habs fans overrate the crap out of him.

Sergachev is a another "great" prospect, but why is he in every single trade proposal? The Habs are far from stacked on D, especially with Markov hanging them up soon.

The 1st will probably be somewhere in the 20-30 range, which is good, but hardly holy crap.

Here is a list of centers that package would not work for and its much more than 5-6 which was quoted above.

Connor McDavid
Sidney Crosby
Nicklas Backstrom
Mark Scheifele
Evgeni Malkin
Leon Draisaitl
Tyler Seguin
John Tavares
Ryan Getzlaf
Joe Pavelski
Auston Matthews
Jonathan Toews
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Jack Eichel
Sean Monahan
Logan Couture
Ryan O'Reilly
Bo Horvat
Patrice Bergeron
Nathan MacKinnon
Anze Kopitar
Steven Stamkos

If you can get someone like Carter or Giroux, you take that and run.

Now, that's one awful list.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
This is better value than what the Sabres traded for O'Reilly - so realistically you would expect a top-tier centre. And literally the only one that comes to mind is Tavares; if talks with the Isles don't go well.

Other than that, there is no centre who will be traded who is also worth this much.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
This is better value than what the Sabres traded for O'Reilly - so realistically you would expect a top-tier centre. And literally the only one that comes to mind is Tavares; if talks with the Isles don't go well.

Other than that, there is no centre who will be traded who is also worth this much.

I think this post is pretty much spot on. You'd expect a player like Tavares in return but I doubt any team is willing to let a franchise player go.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Tavares has 1 year left. Also, no chance I give Galchenyuk alone for Duchene.
Duchene is so freaking overrated
. Best of luck to the Islanders to find a team that is willing to pay more for 1 year of Tavares.

You right . The stat keepers inflate his stats . His FO % is really not the good . He really can't skate that fast , They added 30 points to his point totals each year :sarcasm::shakehead

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st + Dump for Malkin would be fun.

Pittsburgh looks to extend their competitive run with a superspeed rebuild, Montreal goes all in now with a top league player with 2 or so prime years left.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed on Bozak.........he's nothing special.

But JVR is better than Galchenyuk. His STATS don't lie.

:huh: Galchenyuk's stats are better, and he doesn't even play where he produces at most. Also, he isn't even in his prime, and doesn't get to play with Marner.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
:huh: Galchenyuk's stats are better, and he doesn't even play where he produces at most. Also, he isn't even in his prime, and doesn't get to play with Marner.

JVR has 4 seasons with 20 or more goals......Galchenyuk has 2.

JVR has 3 seasons with 24 goals or more.......Galchenyuk has 1.

JVR has 3 seasons with 56 or more points........Galchenyuk has 1.

JVR's career PPG is 0.637..........Galchenyuk's is 0.610.

JVR's stats are better, and he seems to be more durable than Galchenyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad