Player Discussion: Gabriel "The Net Front King" Vilardi

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Same here. If Mark is gone then both are going to need to play C and it will be a growing pain year.

That all depends on the return we get for them. Highlighting something like Scheif for Glass I think Glass gets a bigger shot to play C than either of them. Kupari should get a long look as well IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That all depends on the return we get for them. Highlighting something like Scheif for Glass I think Glass gets a bigger shot to play C than either of them. Kupari should get a long look as well IMO.

I would like to say that logicaly it would make zero sense for the Preds to go for something like that after purging their big money aging centers but I have no clue what the hell Trotz is doing doing down there.

I would like to say that logical it would make zerp sense for the Preds to go for something like that after purging their big money aging centers but I have no clue what the hell Trotz is doing doing down there.

Yeah, same issue with Helle. Likely can get the Sorokin contract on the open market but no-one wants to trade for him and give him that deal.

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would like to say that logical it would make zerp sense for the Preds to go for something like that after purging their big money aging centers but I have no clue what the hell Trotz is doing doing down there.

Yeah it's puzzling but if that kind of deal presents itself I'd be all for it. Corner the market on young C's that still have potential but maybe haven't been given the best shot.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Anyone think Vilardi starts at wing?
I think he is tried out at center to start.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Be nice to see an interview with Vilardi regarding the trade. What he has to say. The longer the silence the more likely it is that he's not happy.
I heard him on the radio right afterwards. He’s excited to come to a real hockey town as opposed to a city that doesn’t really care about the sport. He has a socal girlfriend that’s going to have to learn to like it :)

Oops guess I replied to an old post.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I would like them to try Vilardi AND Perfetti at C this year. And have Lucius and Lambert play C with the Moose. Can’t develop too many C’s imo.

Most C’s can slide to W, but vice versa, not so much.

I would target a RHD on a D heavy team light on scoring in a potential Scheifele deal. Bruins (Carlo) fits. So does Carolina (Pesce). And the Rangers (Schneider) as a wild card reunion with Wheels and Troubs.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Vilardi
Perfetti
Lowry
Kupari

With Namestnikov and Gustafsson able to step in at C as well.

If both Vilardi and Perfetti can put up 20+ g/ 40+ a/ 60+ pts seasons, the Jets won’t have too far of a drop off offensively from last years team. Factoring in points from additions like Iafallo, and full seasons from Nino and Vlady.

Remains to be seen if they can, but I’m sure getting interested to see if they can. Far more interested than watching another year of PLD and Wheeler.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I just dont think he will. He'll want a bridge deal in hopes he can brt on himself and cash in when the cap goes up.

Maybe, maybe not. This kid has had injury issues and hasn't made a tonne of cash yet. He may want some security on his next contract. I can see a scenario where he just takes the guaranteed money provided he and his representatives deem it fair.

He may also elect to bridge and bet on himself as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I like having a roster of players getting paid what they're worth (and produce). Betting on small samples like Vilardi and Samberg in hopes of finding value would not be my preference. I'd do one year for Sam and two for Vilardi. I'd like more evidence as to what they will become.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
think it depends on who plays better during preseason but I think all 3 of perfetti, vilardi, kupari will get a shot this year

Yup. It also depends on what happens with Scheifele.

But I think Perfetti likely gets first crack at the 2C spot.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup. It also depends on what happens with Scheifele.

But I think Perfetti likely gets first crack at the 3C spot.

Best case ontario I think is Kupari ends up being a solid top 6 C. Perfetti and Vilardi develop into capable players who can play either wing or C and we have a plethora of options but that is highly unlikely to happen.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Best case ontario I think is Kupari ends up being a solid top 6 C. Perfetti and Vilardi develop into capable players who can play either wing or C and we have a plethora of options but that is highly unlikely to happen.

I think the chances of Kupri being a top 6 C as fairly low at this point. I think he ultimately takes Lowry's spot as a two-way 3C.

I think Perfetti and Vilardi both have what it takes to make it work there but neither is a guarantee either.

It will be fun times with the trials and growing pains.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the chances of Kupri being a top 6 C as fairly low at this point. I think he ultimately takes Lowry's spot as a two-way 3C.

I think Perfetti and Vilardi both have what it takes to make it work there but neither is a guarantee either.

It will be fun times with the trials and growing pains.

One thing that LA fans have said with this trade is that Kupari is the wild card. How the brass in LA were trying to turn him into a 2way bottom 6 C and how his game really isn't suited to that. He plays fast, hes physical and his game is mostly about offence so I hope the Jets dont try to fit a square peg into a round hole like LA was.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One thing that LA fans have said with this trade is that Kupari is the wild card. How the brass in LA were trying to turn him into a 2way bottom 6 C and how his game really isn't suited to that. He plays fast, hes physical and his game is mostly about offence so I hope the Jets dont try to fit a square peg into a round hole like LA was.

Well we will just have to see. I want a modern third line anyhow so I don't see why such a setup wouldn't fit.

His point totals haven't been amazing at any level outside his short stint in the AHL last as a 22 year old.

Hard to know if he has enough of it to carve out a top 6 NHL role. But I'm sure he'll get injury fill in time in the top 6 like Barron got last year.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Adds a deadline to negotiations and pressure is leverage so it's a no brainer for Vilardi's side to file.

And I said it before but it'd be a bad look to let it go all the way to arbitration. The media will hassle him for the entire duration of an awarded contract about being the next Dubois/Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad