Player Discussion: Gabriel "The Net Front King" Vilardi

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wonder if they play him at C? Perfetti at C? Someone has to play C :laugh:.

Looks like he spent a decent chunk of time with Iafallo last year too 5v5

I'd prefer to convert Cole but my guess is the Jets start with Vilardi. But hey if we also trade Scheifele we may need both to go into the middle.

I could see it being

Perfetti/Vilardi/Iaffalo

Interesting, Nino did play well with Lowry so it could work well.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I'd prefer to convert Cole but my guess is the Jets start with Vilardi. But hey if we also trade Scheifele we may need both to go into the middle.

Interesting, Nino did play well with Lowry so it could work well.

Wouldn't shock me to see Perfetti play center between those 2. I think both Vilardi and Iaffalo can do the heavy lifting in the D zone and free up Cole to do what he does best and that is to create offense for 2 guys who can both go to the net. Vilardi has incredible hands in close and remember how many sweet passes Cole had that they couldn't put in from 5 feet this year? I counted at least 20.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I still have questions about him as he is still very much an unproven quantity but hoping for the best. I like that they got a guy who by all accounts is a good defensive forward, something this team hasn't had in the top-6 for a while (probably since Wheeler started declining in 2019) but I am always cautious of "good defensive metrics" as they can often be a product of the team/system. I haven't watched him play much so I won't comment on his actual play on ice.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
vilardi id say last year was a v good middle-6 2-way winger, his defensive stats are among the best on a v good defensive team. idk how replicable that is here & if he converts to C full-time. i think he has legit skills to be a good scorer as well. the main concern i think that every one has is injuries.

I still have questions about him as he is still very much an unproven quantity but hoping for the best. I like that they got a guy who by all accounts is a good defensive forward, something this team hasn't had in the top-6 for a while (probably since Wheeler started declining in 2019) but I am always cautious of "good defensive metrics" as they can often be a product of the team/system. I haven't watched him play much so I won't comment on his actual play on ice.
some of this could be spot on the depth chart or linemate mix for sure. however i think it stands out that on the Kings his are the best.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
That seems contrary to what some of those chart people say but I haven't watched enough of him to know. His junior game revolved a lot around the cycle game though.

I might be wrong but I think the rush vs cycle aspect might be even strength vs powerplay.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

I think guys like Vilardi or Iaffalo are good at getting the puck out of the D zone. Which means they don't get scored on as much. I actually think we were doing a good of that at the start of the year and then got away with it when we slid.

I think if you add guys that are already playing that way they will continue to do so and likely be solid contributers

I think in VIlardi's case we want him to produce more hopefully. So its likely he gets some prime minutes 5v5 and PP time. Being a guy that goes to the net and has nice hands in tight means that you need someone to get him the puck in those spots and Perfetti I think is the best on the team other then maybe Scheif.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
1687890983243-gif.722101
What most people forget is Vilardi pulled the exact same move on Binnington earlier in the game, but the backhand wasn't elevated, he tried to go under the pads. This was his second attempt, and made sure he went upstairs. If Gabe stays healthy, and doesn't have to carry the puck into the zone, he's got some confident hands around the net to wreak havoc.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
depending how the cap shakes out

this is a line-up i presented

kupari is probably>gus
trade for ross colton in tbl

ehlers-scheifele-nino
connor-vilardi-perfetti
iafallo-lowry-colton
barron-kupari-appleton

eventually would like to see colton get some top-6 burn. i think there's real good potential there based on his scoring efficiency and individual-to-total goal/chance-shares

i think the fwds are shaping up to be solid. a lot hinges on health of the top-6 w/ ehlers, vilardi and perfetti, and someone stepping up to be <60 pts 2c.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Anyone know what his contract asks were in LA, what can we expect to sign him to on a 2 year bridge or long term deal?

I can't wait until next Tuesday, best day of the week apparently :laugh:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Anyone know what his contract asks were in LA, what can we expect to sign him to on a 2 year bridge or long term deal?

I can't wait until next Tuesday, best day of the week apparently :laugh:
the only thing I read about that was that they haven't even talked extension yet

Reactions: Mathil8

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i am going to denote this as market-share stats

at 5v5 hockey last year of players to be on the ice for similar amount of on-ice GF as Vilardi (using 10% less of Vilardi's on-ice GF as a minimum filter)

top-25 in market share for goals
Vilardi scores 52% of the team's goals-for when he's on the ice at 5v5

1687903771573.png

top-25 in pts on on-ice GF (high goals will inherently bleed into this)
Vilardi scores a pt on 88% of the team's GF when he's on the ice at 5v5

1687903923654.png

also the low CF per xGF would indicate stronger quality per shot attempt.

Attachments

• 1687903872430.png
    1687903872430.png
    125 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good player but he’s more of a winger due to his lack of foot speed. Great hands in front of the net…

Kinda a mix of Mark Stone/Corey Perry in terms of style of play. Hoping his offense takes a jump here with a bigger role. The kid has good talent to go ontop of a strong defensive foundation.

I think guys like Vilardi or Iaffalo are good at getting the puck out of the D zone. Which means they don't get scored on as much. I actually think we were doing a good of that at the start of the year and then got away with it when we slid.

I think if you add guys that are already playing that way they will continue to do so and likely be solid contributers

I think in VIlardi's case we want him to produce more hopefully. So its likely he gets some prime minutes 5v5 and PP time. Being a guy that goes to the net and has nice hands in tight means that you need someone to get him the puck in those spots and Perfetti I think is the best on the team other then maybe Scheif.

Yeah our dzone exits weren't as crisp the back half. We missed Perfetti there and Fly was hampered by his injury.

Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
depending how the cap shakes out

this is a line-up i presented

kupari is probably>gus
trade for ross colton in tbl

ehlers-scheifele-nino
connor-vilardi-perfetti
iafallo-lowry-colton
barron-kupari-appleton

eventually would like to see colton get some top-6 burn. i think there's real good potential there based on his scoring efficiency and individual-to-total goal/chance-shares

i think the fwds are shaping up to be solid. a lot hinges on health of the top-6 w/ ehlers, vilardi and perfetti, and someone stepping up to be <60 pts 2c.

I'd be fine swapping Colton and Nino. Nino really drove some offense with Lowry and we need the third line to score.

the only thing I read about that was that they haven't even talked extension yet

Chevy has a lot on the plate with other trades right now. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't get to it until after the 1st.

Reactions: Buffdog and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2