Player Discussion: Gabriel "The Net Front King" Vilardi

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It looks to me like Iaffalo and Vilardi already have some decent chemistry so maybe keeping them together to start the year is the right move until both are comfortable and then we can mix things up.

Connor - Scheif - Ehlers
Iafallo - Vilardi/Perfetti - Perfetti/Vilardi
Nino - Lowry - Barron
Kupari - Gus - Apples

Still have Stenlund in the mix as well. Maybe Lucius competes for a spot but likely with the Moose to start. Wonder if the Jets can get Rashevsky to come over this summer as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It looks to me like Iaffalo and Vilardi already have some decent chemistry so maybe keeping them together to start the year is the right move until both are comfortable and then we can mix things up.

Connor - Scheif - Ehlers
Nino - Lowry - Barron
Kupari - Gus - Apples

Still have Stenlund in the mix as well. Maybe Lucius competes for a spot but likely with the Moose to start. Wonder if the Jets can get Rashevsky to come over this summer as well.
That looks like a pretty nice forward group.

Reactions: GNP

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Intrigued by this acquisition. Watched him a lot last season as I had him in my pool, and he was pretty excited and on fire for a good chunk of the season.

Reactions: GNP

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That looks like a pretty nice forward group.

Yeah hoping that the LA boys aren't to in the dumps about moving. The home town fanbase really needs to give them a warm welcome and I think they may get fired up.

Still a big question of whether the Jets stick with Scheif long term or move him but even so we have a decently young group there with a few more on the horizon like McGroarty, Lucius and Lambert who all look fun. If Kupari can find his spot then we should have an exciting young team and although we lack superstar power we could definitely surprise. No idea what we do in net but perhaps some of these new additions will help fit within the system better and our goalie won't be the most shelled goalie in the league and we won't need a Helle to win games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah hoping that the LA boys aren't to in the dumps about moving. The home town fanbase really needs to give them a warm welcome and I think they may get fired up.

Still a big question of whether the Jets stick with Scheif long term or move him but even so we have a decently young group there with a few more on the horizon like McGroarty, Lucius and Lambert who all look fun. If Kupari can find his spot then we should have an exciting young team and although we lack superstar power we could definitely surprise. No idea what we do in net but perhaps some of these new additions will help fit within the system better and our goalie won't be the most shelled goalie in the league and we won't need a Helle to win games.

Yeah my gut is leaning towards contract extension with Mark.

I see Heinola getting a good long look to go with a real mobile puck moving defense with a stronger defensive minded forward core to cover.

Reactions: JetsUK and KingBogo

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Welcome to Winnipeg...

vilardi_gabriel.jpg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I say try and lock these guys up long-term.
I would not sign Vilardi long term until I see how his back holds up. If it holds up for the next season, and he can take the bump and grind game, and his back doesn't give in -- then yes, sign him long term.

Backs are very tough injuries, as your dealing with all sorts of nerves, discs etc, that are basically the highway of nerve transmission. I think everyone knows this, and I hope his previous back injuries are behind him, however with the back, usually the injuries recur, and then go away, so we'll have to see over time how he holds up.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah I see no reason to give up on Ville yet. But this is kind of his make or break year.

Agree, though the Jets love their waiver exemption status.

Hopefully he gets a make or break chance.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Connor - Scheif - Ehlers
Nino - Lowry - Barron
Kupari - Gus - Apples

Glad to see you didn't include Wheeler in your proposed lineup. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like that he is strong defensively.

Not sure but I think a bad back is an issue with face-offs. That was Matty P's problem at C. Maybe it depends on exactly what kind of bad back. But that might rule him out as a C.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Glad to see you didn't include Wheeler in your proposed lineup. :nod:

He gone! ✈️

I like that he is strong defensively.

Not sure but I think a bad back is an issue with face-offs. That was Matty P's problem at C. Maybe it depends on exactly what kind of bad back. But that might rule him out as a C.

Sounds like Kings fans say he really took off once they moved him to wing so it seems like he is more of a natural winger.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Be nice to see an interview with Vilardi regarding the trade. What he has to say. The longer the silence the more likely it is that he's not happy.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He gone! ✈️

Sounds like Kings fans say he really took off once they moved him to wing so it seems like he is more of a natural winger.

I was discounting that as him just not being quite ready yet - with time lost to injury and just generally maturing. Now that he is ready for the NHL maybe C re-enters the picture - if the bad back doesn't get in the way. A lot of maybes there that will have to wait for TC to answer.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was discounting that as him just not being quite ready yet - with time lost to injury and just generally maturing. Now that he is ready for the NHL maybe C re-enters the picture - if the bad back doesn't get in the way. A lot of maybes there that will have to wait for TC to answer.

I think we likely audition him and Perfetti as our 2C next year and see how it goes. They seem like they could play well together. They both like to slow the game down, Vilardi is a bit more of a scorer and we've seen some of the insane passing plays that Perfetti can do.

I like the idea of them just doing switches. Vilardi can play C in the Dzone and it seems like he has a knack for it and from the blueline out Perfetti takes over. They also have the righty/lefty thing going for them so they can potentially take strong side faceoffs interchangeably which can relieve some of the pressure on either of them there.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
If he plays a full season next year, I could easily see him putting up 60-70 points on the Jets. Key factor is his health, this past year he was fine hopefully he stays that way.
Well considering he hasn't played a full season in at least the last 8 years i'd put my money on him not playing a full year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He gone! ✈️

do you know the split exactly?
i was looking at his game-log last year and it looked like 10 goals came in his first 15 games was that at wing? he might be better served as a winger but i could see the Jets trying him at C. he seems to have traits what coaches/gms like (2-way game, strong down low, size) , although skating was always his knock, as well as injuries ofc.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think we likely audition him and Perfetti as our 2C next year and see how it goes. They seem like they could play well together. They both like to slow the game down, Vilardi is a bit more of a scorer and we've seen some of the insane passing plays that Perfetti can do.

I like the idea of them just doing switches. Vilardi can play C in the Dzone and it seems like he has a knack for it and from the blueline out Perfetti takes over. They also have the righty/lefty thing going for them so they can potentially take strong side faceoffs interchangeably which can relieve some of the pressure on either of them there.

This sounds great. Perf is strong through the neutral and can hang onto the puck and his playmaking is an ever-present danger at this point, he's a guy who will really benefit from a shoot-first player who can get on his wavelength.

Perfetti isn't a faceoff wizard at this point, but no reason he can't get closer to break-even with his hands and more strength. GV is decent there already -- and may give Bones fewer reasons to bring Stenlund on to take a key FO.

2019-20Los Angeles KingsKings10924953.3
2020-21Los Angeles KingsKings5463429145.9
2021-22Los Angeles KingsKings251316045.8
2022-23Los Angeles KingsKings631135246.0

2021-22Winnipeg JetsJets18300.0
2022-23Winnipeg JetsJets5111327.3

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Well considering he hasn't played a full season in at least the last 8 years i'd put my money on him not playing a full year.

A lot of players don't play literally every game, I mean generally like 70-75+ games is pretty normal or close IMO. Now can he play 70+ games per year, its a good question but apparently his back injury is not any issue any more.......its behind him. :)

But hopefully he can stay healthy for 70+ game per year

Reactions: Mathil8 and GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
reminder - that 54 gp was in a 56-game year. and idk what happened in 21-22 but he split in AHL vs NHL it looks like?
i think garrett hohl mentioned the average top line fwd plays 70ish games per year.

problem is, the Jets have 3 top-6 players that are way below average in that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad