Player Discussion: Gabriel "The Net Front King" Vilardi

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm guessing since it's "Gabe" for short that it's "gay-bree-el" because "Gahb" would be one hell of a pretentious nickname.

Can't wait for the first photo op with him and our other Gabe :)

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Get her here now so she can experience our summers.
Most NHL players spend almost 0 time in the city they play in during the summer so at best that would be a bait and switch lol. It might just make her hate it more once she sees what the weather is like when she would be here.

Reactions: hockeyarena

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Finally got a chance to listen to the interview and a few things caught my attention. Like the rest of you I am happy to hear that his back hasn’t been a problem “in years”. I also thought it was interesting that he played Centre in the playoffs this past season, I kind of an assumed he would play RW for us but perhaps there is a chance for centre. Also, despite the fact he’s the main piece coming back he is very new to being wanted. It’s evident when they talked about his contract negotiations last year where the Kings org just said take this :laugh:. Listening to this I do think Gabe is at the point in his career where he is probably legitimately fine with playing for a team who wants him. He hasn’t made much money yet in the NHL so this next contract is critical for his livelihood.

I get why the Kings fans are pissed they have an old school D first coach and one of their 1st round type prospects finally breaks through and they trade him. Sounds like he was forced to get better on D to play in the league and it’s nice that the Jets will benefit by that. Our top 6 isn’t overflowing with two way players so I welcome it.

Looking forward to watching Gabe play, nice that he is still at the kill what you eat stage of his career, and haapply to add his talents to our roster.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Finally got a chance to listen to the interview and a few things caught my attention. Like the rest of you I am happy to hear that his back hasn’t been a problem “in years”. I also thought it was interesting that he played Centre in the playoffs this past season, I kind of an assumed he would play RW for us but perhaps there is a chance for centre. Also, despite the fact he’s the main piece coming back he is very new to being wanted. It’s evident when they talked about his contract negotiations last year where the Kings org just said take this :laugh:. Listening to this I do think Gabe is at the point in his career where he is probably legitimately fine with playing for a team who wants him. He hasn’t made much money yet in the NHL so this next contract is critical for his livelihood.

I get why the Kings fans are pissed they have an old school D first coach and one of their 1st round type prospects finally breaks through and they trade him. Sounds like he was forced to get better on D to play in the league and it’s nice that the Jets will benefit by that. Our top 6 isn’t overflowing with two way players so I welcome it.

Looking forward to watching Gabe play, nice that he is still at the kill what you eat stage of his career, and haapply to add his talents to our roster.

Vilardi's interview had me pretty excited about his potential to stay. It seems like he just wants to be wanted and given more opportunities to prove himself. He's very much like Perfetti a skilled player who may not be the best skater but makes up for it in IQ, knowing where to be and how to get there to make things happen whose just tapping into his potential.

I can only hope he likes it here and decides to stick around because if he plays like he did last year and adds more consistency to his game going forward I think he will be a fan favourite around here.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

I am fully prepared for the possibility that Perfetti and Vilardi will both be C for us this year.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am fully prepared for the possibility that Perfetti and Vilardi will both be C for us this year.

Same here. If Mark is gone then both are going to need to play C and it will be a growing pain year.

It’s hard to say for me. We will need to see how the summer plays out because the Jets are still shopping Helle and Scheif so I am not sure what the returns will be. Maybe they use Scheifele as an own rental this season to bridge the gap and provide shelter. It would depend on how modest the existing trade return is for 55 are and how bad TNSE want to compete this season? I am still unsure of the answer to both questions but time will tell.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s hard to say for me. We will need to see how the summer plays out because the Jets are still shopping Helle and Scheif so I am not sure what the returns will be. Maybe they use Scheifele as an own rental this season to bridge the gap and provide shelter. It would depend on how modest the existing trade return is for 55 are and how bad TNSE want to compete this season? I am still unsure of the answer to both questions but time will tell.

Yeah, I am not sure what the plan will be. They very well may still sign him to a big deal that none here will.like much.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I am not sure what the plan will be. They very well may still sign him to a big deal that none here will.like much.

I am not ruling any option out currently. It must be a bit humbling for both Helle and Mark if the rumors are true about teams being luke warm or possibly scared off a bit by the next contract. It seems like there are some good posters on our board who are less scared than me of extending Mark to stay in Winnipeg. No matter what it will work itself out over the next 12 months

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad