GDT: G1: FLA @ Wild 7pm CT (BSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Didn't Beckman also lose his first goal to offside review?

Unfortunate to have that happen to two different rookies in a span of a year
Sammy Walker, I think

The top 6 got absolutely embarrassed, Expect Rossi to move up sooner than later because if we play like every night, we're losing badly.
I thought Boldy and JEE were fine.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Fancy stats had our top 6 getting trucked, but it also had Foligno as our "best" forward (a forward that had 0 5v5 shots on goal).
Boldy failed to register a shot attempt at 5v5. Think Foligno’s xG% was higher due because their line wasn’t pinned and didn’t give up a bevy of SOGs and attempts.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Their line had a combined 3 5v5 shots attempted. They found a way to get on the stat sheet but even strength they were wrecked.
Eye test, for me, Boldy looked good. JEE combative as always, though no puck wizard...never has been, really. I though Kap was way off. Slow, and fumbling pucks. Not helped by Zucc, who was giving away pucks like candy on Halloween. MarJO was invisible, as was Hartman, unless he was taking a penalty.

I liked Dewar's game. Duhaime, not so much, but he barely played.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Eye test, for me, Boldy looked good. JEE combative as always, though no puck wizard...never has been, really. I though Kap was way off. Slow, and fumbling pucks. Not helped by Zucc, who was giving away pucks like candy on Halloween. MarJO was invisible, as was Hartman, unless he was taking a penalty.

I liked Dewar's game. Duhaime, not so much, but he barely played.
No arguments on the validity of the eye test, I like both the stats and the eye balls.
Boldy made a good play on the first goal, but not even attempting a shot at even strength for what we’re paying him isn’t gonna fly.

Reactions: 57special

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Boldy failed to register a shot attempt at 5v5. Think Foligno’s xG% was higher due because their line wasn’t pinned and didn’t give up a bevy of SOGs and attempts.

NaturalStatTrick has Foligno at 60% xGF% in 5v5 situations. Second highest is Jon Merrill at 31%.

It's certainly an odd stat and doesn't really match the eye test.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Aside from the penalty and being offside at a terrible time, I thought Foligno played decently well. He looked much better than most of our forwards, anyway.

I loved the speed Dewar was playing at. I think he ends up on the 3rd line sometime this year. Might take an injury, or someone not performing well for a while, but it'll happen if he plays like he did yesterday.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No arguments on the validity of the eye test, I like both the stats and the eye balls.
Boldy made a good play on the first goal, but not even attempting a shot at even strength for what we’re paying him isn’t gonna fly.
"Thoughts on the Faber/Brodin pairing?"
He said cooly, keeping his voice nonchalant, and expression even.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Boldy and JEE passed the eye test for me as well, thought each played great for the situations they faced. Kap was by far the biggest disappointment in this one in my eyes, but he has been a slow starter in the past.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
NaturalStatTrick has Foligno at 60% xGF% in 5v5 situations. Second highest is Jon Merrill at 31%.

It's certainly an odd stat and doesn't really match the eye test.
Foligno actually played pretty well in my eyes too, the penalty and offside were under a microscope, but his play itself was a lot more like previous Marcus than last years version.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Foligno actually played pretty well in my eyes too, the penalty and offside were under a microscope, but his play itself was a lot more like previous Marcus than last years version.

I'm not saying it's an odd stat in the sense that Foligno looked bad. He just didn't stand out enough to be 30% xGF better than everyone else

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm not saying it's an odd stat in the sense that Foligno looked bad. He just didn't stand out enough to be 30% xGF better than everyone else
Advanced stats on a game by game basis, aren't all that great. On a much longer time scale? Much better.

Increase the sample size, increase their accuracy.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Aside from the penalty and being offside at a terrible time, I thought Foligno played decently well. He looked much better than most of our forwards, anyway.

I loved the speed Dewar was playing at. I think he ends up on the 3rd line sometime this year. Might take an injury, or someone not performing well for a while, but it'll happen if he plays like he did yesterday.
Dewar also seems to be a bit stronger. Love how he isn't afraid of anyone out there. He actually has a pretty good shot, too, but just doesn't get to use it much on the 4th line.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fancy stats had our top 6 getting trucked, but it also had Foligno as our "best" forward (a forward that had 0 5v5 shots on goal).

Any credibility fancy stats had just went out the window

• Haha
Reactions: HotDish

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Advanced stats on a game by game basis, aren't all that great. On a much longer time scale? Much better.

Increase the sample size, increase their accuracy.

I think it depends on the metric and what you’re trying to learn, but for sure do agree there are plenty that are valuable with the sample size.

But what single game stats do tell us is possession based metrics and impact with specific matchups and some of them aren’t contingent on sample size.

If I’m Florida, I’m pleased with last night based on some of these factors. Evason started the right goalie, but by all accounts they dominated the game.

xGoals was 3.19 to 1.73 in favor of FLA
Panthers attempts 83 to our 40
HDSC were 18-6 in favor of FLA

Plenty to learn for me about single game metrics. Anyone looking at these afterwards think they win >70% of the time but it’s why we play.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kaprizov-Rossi-Boldy
Johansson-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello*
Foligno-Gaudreau-Hartman
Duhaime-Dewar-Maroon

*For now, but I swear he's one more shit game away from being swapped with Hartman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad